PDA

View Full Version : Tuning question

kevin54
04-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Hello,

I've searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this newbie question. I have a snark tuner which I clip to the head of my Islander tenor. Works great, but when I'm tuning up a string, the louder I play the string, the sharper it shows on the tuner, softer, it registers slightly below the note. Does one just tune at the volume one would uually play? Also, when I read people here saying the string is "a few cents flat or sharp" at a certain fret, how are they measuring this? Does the tuner measure cents, by how many lights are lit above or below the note?
Thanks,
Kevin

Loudster
04-12-2013, 12:37 PM
About the cents thing. Some tuners give a numerical read-out while others are more visual/graphical. I have a similar clip on tuner (the planet waves mini one) that just uses bars and color (red w/ lots of bars = out, green with a bar on each side = in) and it sounds similar in that regards to yours. To the best of my knowledge the bars aren't very specific, in the sense of I don't think that 1 bar always = 2.5 cents or anything. Who knows, maybe there are some brands that are. Mine isn't one though.

My other tuner is a chromatic tuner and does give a numerical readout in addition to the visual readout. so, in the top right corner it tells you how many cents you are away from the ideal. It's just a different type of tuner that (at least theoretically) gives you a more precise measurement.

As far as tuning for how loud you play, I can't really comment. I've never tuned that way and probably won't switch now, but it doesn't strike me as a terrible idea.

PereBourik
04-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I tune so that the note doesn't flat as the sustain fades.

Katz-in-Boots
04-12-2013, 11:36 PM
...the louder I play the string, the sharper it shows on the tuner, softer, it registers slightly below the note...
This seems consistent with my experiences on cello, harp & ukulele; the harder I pluck, the sharper it reads. I aim to make a 'medium' pluck which is the same across all 4 strings.

That is what I do also - though unless you are playing something with sustained notes, maybe it isn't the best strategy.

stevepetergal
04-13-2013, 05:12 AM

What PereBourik says is right. The sustain is the important measurement. You'll develop a knack for plucking while tuning to reduce this problem. And you'll learn what to ignore as you go.

About measuring intonation, it's details, details, details....

Play and enjoy.

kevin54
04-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Thank you all! You've been very helpful.
Regards,
Kevin