PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Uke

Gadzukes!
04-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Last year I was one of the winners in Kala's design a Ukadelic contest. I submitted a few designs, and they chose my American flag entry. Well I just got word that they're going to produce my steampunk entry as well! Yay! That was my favorite, and I'm very excited about it. Had to share it with everyone. :)

mailman
04-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Last year I was one of the winners in Kala's design a Ukadelic contest. I submitted a few designs, and they chose my American flag entry. Well I just got word that they're going to produce my steampunk entry as well! Yay! That was my favorite, and I'm very excited about it. Had to share it with everyone. :)

Do you have pictures? I'm sure folks will be interested....

Lori
04-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Congrats! I think I remember that one. Steampunk is very popular.

–Lori

Pondoro
04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes, pictures, please!

Paul December
04-12-2013, 01:00 PM
:) pictures!

beautifulsoup
04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Ooooh, congratulations! Can't wait to see it.

Gadzukes!
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Here's a picture: 51743

Karasu
04-12-2013, 01:27 PM
OMG. I'm a RABID steampunk fan. I would LOVE one of these. Incredible work!

Loudster
04-12-2013, 02:38 PM

That looks really cool. Am I the only one wondering how they could even make that in real life? I'm excited to see how they turn out :)

Pondoro
04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
That is sweet looking!

beautifulsoup
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
And with a "nameplate," besides!

KoaDependent
04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I like the look more than the Tiki King steampunk Fluke.

Katz-in-Boots
04-12-2013, 10:42 PM

That is fabulous! Wow, I don't want another uke, let alone a soprano, but that is tempting.

Gadzukes!
04-13-2013, 05:55 AM
That looks really cool. Am I the only one wondering how they could even make that in real life? I'm excited to see how they turn out :)
It's a Ukadelic model, so it's simply printed onto the uke.

gnordenstam
04-13-2013, 07:09 AM

WOW - that is fantastic! I'd love to have that one.
--G

Loudster
04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
It's a Ukadelic model, so it's simply printed onto the uke.

hah, yeah, guess I didn't look too closely at the model. My thought was "how'd that even sound with all that in the body?" bah, still will look awesome printed. Congrats!

MartyC
04-16-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi, congrats on winning the contest and having 2 of your designs made! The steam punk fans might like to see a custom made one I recently saw on the Reddit ukulele group.

The gallery is here: "Meet Naoko" (http://imgur.com/a/4vjgp) and the post comments are here (http://www.reddit.com/r/ukulele/comments/1bvwvp/custommade_semihollow_electric_ukulele_meet_naoko/). Warning though, some comments on Reddit can contain some rude language.

BlueLatitude
04-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Wow, congratulations!!! I don't really neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it but it's just so neat looking I might have to have one anyway!

The Monk
04-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Oh, nice! I have been captivated by the tartan Ukadelic but I'm going to have to throw it over for your steampunk.

coolkayaker1
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
http://www.pohakuukulele.com/pages/steampunktwo.html

loove steamp. gluck w your design. hope they sell a gazillion and at a buck a piece you make a mint.

fumanshu
04-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Really really cool design......even if I don't need any new uke....I would get one!!!

UkerDanno
11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
just ordered one...

Osprey
11-22-2013, 09:50 AM
They do look cool I have been admiring them on the Kala website. Congrats on the design. It must be a thrill to see your design in production

Katz-in-Boots
11-22-2013, 05:15 PM
I've just found out my pre-order is on its way to me in Tasmania now! Can't wait to see it.

Uke Republic
11-23-2013, 07:13 AM

Thats the finished product. It comes standard with generic black strings but we switch those out real fast :) Very cool!

The Big Kahuna
11-23-2013, 07:21 AM
All it needs now is a thin piece of copper or brass plate cut to shape to cover the headstock. Maybe with a diagonal row of bolts or rivets.

Captain America
11-23-2013, 07:53 AM
I still use a mechanical watch, so I'm a little leery of the steampunkers.

UkerDanno
11-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Thats the finished product. It comes standard with generic black strings but we switch those out real fast :) Very cool!

Sweet! put Martin M600's on mine! And, what's with the 10 day shipping? Did you put it on the slow truck to Arizona?

Katz-in-Boots
11-23-2013, 06:32 PM
All it needs now is a thin piece of copper or brass plate cut to shape to cover the headstock. Maybe with a diagonal row of bolts or rivets.

Absolutely! I hadn't noticed how plain the headstock is. Needs jazzing up a little.

Olarte
11-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Ok I just ordered one from Uke Republic... Somewhere on the site it said there were only two left I hope one is mine.

It will be a cool contrast to the natural (frosted glass looking) natural outdoor Uke I also ordered recently...

So looking forward to this ukadelic!

Gadzukes!
11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Looks a little pink in the photo. Is that how they actually look? I haven't received mine yet, but word is they shipped on Friday so maybe I'll have them by Thanksgiving.

Here's a bit of trivia: In the original design the nameplate said "Fleabiter" and that's how I still refer to it. :)

iamesperambient
11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Looks a little pink in the photo. Is that how they actually look? I haven't received mine yet, but word is they shipped on Friday so maybe I'll have them by Thanksgiving.

Here's a bit of trivia: In the original design the nameplate said "Fleabiter" and that's how I still refer to it. :)

there is this band i found on youtube by accident which are labeled as a 'steam punk' band.
the singer plays a uke as the main instrument...what i'm curious about is their using an instrument
that was popular in the 20's culture and their sound seems to be more of that style (which i like)
I however don't care for the steam punk thing ..just not my thing. But my curious question is
isn't steam punk supposed to be a post apocalyptic take on the victorian era? so isn't a uke
not really the right instrument to use for that genre? shouldn't it be like a harpsichord and a violin?
just a curious thought.

UkerDanno
11-26-2013, 04:29 AM
there is this band i found on youtube by accident which are labeled as a 'steam punk' band.
the singer plays a uke as the main instrument...what i'm curious about is their using an instrument
that was popular in the 20's culture and their sound seems to be more of that style (which i like)
I however don't care for the steam punk thing ..just not my thing. But my curious question is
isn't steam punk supposed to be a post apocalyptic take on the victorian era? so isn't a uke
not really the right instrument to use for that genre? shouldn't it be like a harpsichord and a violin?
just a curious thought.

uh, I think you're way overthinking it!

iamesperambient
11-26-2013, 05:23 AM
uh, I think you're way overthinking it!

or maybe their under thinking it?
just seems kind of silly to me.
I'm a loud mouthed prick from New Jersey
I'm really holding back here.

I would just assumed though if one was
trying to give an impression of the Victorian era
a uke is prob not a sound one would associate with
that time period. furies , larpers and steam punks meh

Freeda
11-26-2013, 05:55 AM
or maybe their under thinking it?
just seems kind of silly to me.
I'm a loud mouthed prick from New Jersey
I'm really holding back here.

I would just assumed though if one was
trying to give an impression of the Victorian era
a uke is prob not a sound one would associate with
that time period. furies , larpers and steam punks meh

Hawaii - and ukulele - existed during the Victorian era.

Hawaii was accessible by ship at that time.

A steampunker may argue it might even be more accessible by dirigible. ;)

iamesperambient
11-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Hawaii - and ukulele - existed during the Victorian era.

Hawaii was accessible by ship at that time.

A steampunker may argue it might even be more accessible by dirigible. ;)

this is true although it wasn't used in current music of that era
in the mainland culture which this is trying to emulate.

Freeda
11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
this is true although it wasn't used in current music of that area
in the mainland culture which this is trying to emulate.

I don't think you really understand steampunk. It's not about recreating a slightly edgier Victorian era. The fashion is the most obvious element, and hat's what people latch onto as the most obvious signifier of a "time period". However, there's no rule saying that it must be based in the U.K. or the U.S. just because that's the basis for clothing fashion. There's nothing saying that someone wearing Victorian era garb isn't envisioning themselves as being a 25th century resident.

The key word in steampunk is "anachronistic", which means existing in other than the proper historical or chronological order. The steampunk imagination of "what if" history happened a different way is the whole basis.

Steampunk is INSPIRED by the era, not CONSTRAINED by it.

Kayak Jim
11-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Right on Freeda!

iamesperambient
11-26-2013, 06:48 AM
I don't think you really understand steampunk. It's not about recreating a slightly edgier Victorian era. The fashion is the most obvious element, and hat's what people latch onto as the most obvious signifier of a "time period". However, there's no rule saying that it must be based in the U.K. or the U.S. just because that's the basis for clothing fashion. There's nothing saying that someone wearing Victorian era garb isn't envisioning themselves as being a 25th century resident.

The key word in steampunk is "anachronistic", which means existing in other than the proper historical or chronological order. The steampunk imagination of "what if" history happened a different way is the whole basis.

Ah i take it your a 'steam punk' than.
What i always gathered was essentially it was a mad max
type deal. For some reason it seems a lot of people's vision of "post apocalyptic" is reverting back to the victorian era with a slight modern twist but some how everyone has goggles on? whats with those goggles and screws on everything. If you ask me it may not be constrained by era but surely seems constrained by cliche.

To each his own.

BlueLatitude
11-26-2013, 07:21 AM
... take on the victorian era? so isn't a uke
just a curious thought.

Harpischords are of the baroque era, and were hugely out of fashion in Victoran times. Even the fortepiano had had it by then. Now a square piano might be quite cute in a steampunk setting! :D

UkerDanno
11-26-2013, 07:45 AM
I always thought of Steampunk as inspired fro the old "wild Wild West" TV show and subsequent movie...

and ambient, if you don't like it why are you so obsessed with this thread?

Freeda
11-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Ah i take it your a 'steam punk' than.
What i always gathered was essentially it was a mad max
type deal. For some reason it seems a lot of people's vision of "post apocalyptic" is reverting back to the victorian era with a slight modern twist but some how everyone has goggles on? whats with those goggles and screws on everything. If you ask me it may not be constrained by era but surely seems constrained by cliche.

To each his own.

I am not a steampunk. I just always am interested in what creative people are doing, and I quite enjoy looking at their fashions and inventions.

Every culture and subculture has its cliches. Goggles and cogs are certainly overdone, imo. Wear a red shirt to a Star Trek con, everyone will assume you're gonna die. Maybe cliche isn't quite the right word... perhaps "conventions" of a group is more suitable.

Also, I'm not aware of a ton of post-apocalyptic stuff in the steampunk ethos. It's more of a "world that evolved differently" than ours. Think parallel universe.

UkerDanno
11-28-2013, 11:18 AM
waiting impatiently for mine to arrive...ETA, according to UPS tracking, Monday! ;-D