Older Risa Uke-Stick tuning issues

Sue991

Reaction score
Hi, after breaking 2 strings on my older (friction tuner) Risa concert uke-stick I need some advice.

Any ideas of how to tune these please? Is there a technique to balance out the tension on the strings? Thanks.

Where does the string break? Near the head, saddle, or after it does that weird angle?

As you probably suspect it's at the weird angle. The string gets too tight on the reverse angle and doesn't run smooth over the bar.

Did you check for rough spots and debris in the bar's groove? (Sand, ugh.)

You might also want to try "lubing" the groove with a pencil. The graphite helps the string glide through the groove.

Did you check for rough spots and debris in the bar's groove? (Sand, ugh.)

You might also want to try "lubing" the groove with a pencil. The graphite helps the string glide through the groove.

I wouldn't have thought about using pencil but I shall give it a go. Thanks. :)

Just wondering if you have been overtightening the strings by a octave higher....what string are they G and A? lots of ukers make the same mistake...

I'm not sure what strings you're using, but I've found that really light strings don't do well on the Risas.

One brand that I tried, I broke the A strings of both sets I had on hand. With another brand I broke an E within a couple of days.

I'm not sure what strings you're using, but I've found that really light strings don't do well on the Risas.

One brand that I tried, I broke the A strings of both sets I had on hand. With another brand I broke an E within a couple of days.

Which brand do you find best for these? I must admit I may have been trying to tune it too high but the strings felt too loose.

I think the Worth Brown BM strings are good for this uke.

I've just got one, so with planetary tuners, but came fitted with what looks like Worth Browns.

Has anyone tried Living Water on these? I'm thinking of ordering some as a spare set.

If you're going to do this, make sure it's a soft pencil (2B at least). Hard pencils are bonded with clay and contain much less graphite. Alternatively, get a graphite sketching stick from an art shop.

Might do it myself. So far so good but seeing this and similar threads has made me pretty careful when tuning. I've noticed a definite lag when tuning the E & A strings and you need to wait for it or you can easily tune sharp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom