New Ukulele Day. A Mahogany Copley Tenor.

anthonyg

Reaction score
I've just picked up a luthier made solid Mahogany Tenor ukulele made by John Copley here in Canberra, Australia. A beautiful sounding instrument which has VERY good intonation.

John said that he had an opportunity to disassemble a Martin tenor not that long ago and he's done his best to copy it. Its a nice light ukulele.

I first played it at the National Folk Festival in Canberra where John was setup. At first I thought it was a bit quiet. Mind you it was an insanely noisy room competing with all kinds of noisy instruments. Its was strung reentrant too and I don't really play reentrant. It was a nice instrument and it was the most accurately made of any ukulele at the Instrument Makers show.

Anyway I visited John at home and took a low G string to suit. It was strung with Aquila's and I like Aquila's. The low G string really got the top moving. After detuning 2 semitones and some playing it started to come alive. Much better. It's a young instrument and needs to open up.

Bargain really with festival pricing of AU $700 with case.

I'll post a video of it sometime soon.

Anthony

Last edited:
Aloha Tony,
Congrats on your new John Copley Martin copy...yes would love to see pictures and hear a sound clip....thank you for sharing and happy strummings

Congratulations. It sounds like a great uke. I look forward to pictures and sound sample, a video maybe?

Congratulations! I'm not familiar with John Copley's work, so some photos, or maybe a link to his website, would be great!

Top Bottom