Something funny at dinner last night...

OldePhart

Reaction score
So, last night my wife and I went to dinner at a local restaurant. It's in a strip mall so is divided into rooms with connecting doorways.

Shortly after we were seated they started playing background music and I was marveling over the quality both of the recording and the audio system. I told my wife it sounded like there was a guy on a hollow-body jazz guitar sitting in the room with us. It was so good that she even noticed, and she's the sort that can actually listen to music on a tiny little laptop speaker or iPhone without headphones.

The audio was also a little louder than you typically hear in a restaurant and more directional than usual. There was none of the nasty compression you normally hear in recordings these days and absolutely no background noise in the audio system. Absolutely amazing dynamic range, etc. It was so live-like that I almost got up to wander over in the other section to see if there was someone playing over there by the bar. Then a track came on with some light percussion instead of just guitar and I knew there wasn't room for even a two or three piece combo. Then our food came and I got distracted. :)

The music was amazing enough that I decided that I'd ask the manager when we left what recording it was and what they were using for an audio system. The music ended again shortly before we left and I figured they were changing CDs or something. As we walked out I almost tripped over a guitar amp, a couple of pedals, and a chair with a nice hollow-body jazz guitar standing up on it, right next to the doorway between the two rooms. I'm assuming that one of the pedals was a looper and supplied the light percussion on the one or two "tracks" that had percussion. Apparently someone had set up right after we were seated and went on break just before we left...

And now...for the ukulele content. As we were listening to the music shortly after it started my wife asked me if I could play like that on my ukulele...I'm still laughing because I can't play like that on my guitars!

John

Top Bottom