Whats more important, the strumming hand, or the fretting?

oldetymey

Reaction score
Heres an interesting question Ive been pondering. Which hand is more important to have good technique with, the fretting hand, or the strumming hand? You would think the fretting hand so that you could cleanly make many different chord shapes would be the obvious choice. Lately though Ive been finding that I feel like its more important to develop a good strumming hand. The strumming hand is actually the heart and soul of a song. You could have a 2 chord song that sounds awesome if you have a good strumming hand, but conversely you could have a 10 chord song that sounds like garbage even if you can finger all the chords cleanly if you dont have the rhythm in your strumming hand.
So what do you guys think?

And no fair saying both, of course its good to have excellent technique in all aspects of playing, but I think you could still be a good player with a weak fretting hand. (look at Django Reinhardt) Im not so sure you could be with a weak strumming hand. It totally reminds me of this scene from the movie desperado, I always thought this scene was really cool.

Definitely the strumming hand. You can use an open tuning and a butter knife for a slide if you have to, but you gotsta have a little rhythm in the strumming hand. :)

John

Well I might be biased but I have excellent picking technique but pretty average fretting technique. Its amazing what you can get away with if you keep the rhythm tight.

Anthony

I think both hands are equally important..for me hard to concentrate on both at the same time..but I have only been playing for a year..hoping to do better

Well I might be biased but I have excellent picking technique but pretty average fretting technique. Its amazing what you can get away with if you keep the rhythm tight.

Anthony

Wise words. :D

Anthony

totally, you explained it better than me.....I was watching a video of a guy doing Hank Williams "Jumbalaya" the other day, guy made it sound so complicated even though it literally was just C and G7. It was all in the rhythm......

The strumming hand is obviously very important. Without it, there would be little or no sound. The fretting hand is also very important as, without it, the uke would be rendered a percussion instrument. But then, on the other hand...

When I first started playing guitar many years ago - like most beginners I think - I thought the fretting hand was the most important element and put most of my initial attention into learning chord shapes etc.

Over the years though, the strumming hand has become much more important to me as I started to learn finger picking techniques and more complex strumming patterns.

I think even more so on the Ukulele. Triple strums, one finger strums, multiple finger strums, rolls, advanced finger picking patterns. The dexterity, speed and rhythm that great players maintain with their strumming hand is what more often blows me away and inspires me!

I'll'd take either though! :D

Lefties who play right handed does have an advantage....:)

actually if were talking about the importance of the strumming hand vs. fretting wouldnt it be the other way around? I play lefty, so my dominant hand is my strumming hand as it would be for anyone else. I would think a lefty playing righty would be (technically speaking) sort of handicapping himself as he/she isnt playing the natural way. The argument could be made that rightys should play lefty to gain an advantage (hows that for a can o worms statement?) :)Though everyone is different, and theres no right/wrong way in my book....so maybe for some that would be an advantage.

Last edited:
When I first started playing guitar many years ago - like most beginners I think - I thought the fretting hand was the most important element and put most of my initial attention into learning chord shapes etc.

Over the years though, the strumming hand has become much more important to me as I started to learn finger picking techniques and more complex strumming patterns.

I think even more so on the Ukulele. Triple strums, one finger strums, multiple finger strums, rolls, advanced finger picking patterns. The dexterity, speed and rhythm that great players maintain with their strumming hand is what more often blows me away and inspires me!

I'll'd take either though! :D

totally! good points!

actually if were talking about the importance of the strumming hand vs. fretting wouldnt it be the other way around? I play lefty, so my dominant hand is my strumming hand as it would be for anyone else. I would think a lefty playing righty would be (technically speaking) sort of handicapping himself as he/she isnt playing the natural way. Though everyone is different, and theres no right/wrong way in my book....so maybe for some that would be an advantage.
I'd rather have a more coordinated percise fretting hand, for my preference....:)

I am a soft lefty.....

Interesting, I wonder if well hear from some leftys playing righty and see if they feel they have a edge. Though Im loathe to take this thread in a lefty/righty direction
but it is a piece of the equation I suppose. I would really be interested in meeting a righty playing lefty on purpose......

Seems to me that we think fretting is most important since the first thing we learn is, "three chords then strum." I've been playing about 6 months. I have more chords than I have strums and my strums usually breakdown by mid song. In fact I strum so poorly that I'm shopping for another uke just to feel better. Surely I'd strum better if I had that pineapple...

Both good strumming and fretting are necessary, but I think fretting is more important. After all, it is the fretting that makes the song. You can have great hand technique like George Formby, but if you can't form the chords or finger the melody notes properly and cleanly, you'll sound awful.

Top Bottom