PDA

View Full Version : Do you play with your tuner clipped on?

oldetymey
04-13-2013, 06:23 AM
I always see uke players playing, and even performing onstage with tuners clipped to their headstocks, why is this? I never see guitar/banjo/mando/bass players do this. Is there a reason for it? maybe changing tunings mid performance? Maybe ukes are more apt to go out of tune than a guitar (though Ive not found this to be so). or is it just something that uke players picked up, and its mostly for looks at this point? Just a curiousity to me I guess.

mikelz777
04-13-2013, 06:29 AM
I only do it when the strings have recently been changed and still are frequently going out of tune because of stretching. One they've settled and hold a tune, I clip the tuner on, tune the uke then take the tuner off and leave it off.

RyanMFT
04-13-2013, 06:29 AM
I never leave a tuner clipped to my headstock when I play. I love the simple beauty of the ukulele, especially vintage ukuleles, and I hate the way an electronic device looks clipped to it.

The Big Kahuna
04-13-2013, 06:33 AM
I've seen Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin) play Banjo with the tuner clipped to his headstock.

Dan Uke
04-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I never leave a tuner clipped to my headstock when I play. I love the simple beauty of the ukulele, especially vintage ukuleles, and I hate the way an electronic device looks clipped to it.

Hard to enjoy the beauty of your uke while playing.

I keep it off cuz I dont like the balance

Gillian
04-13-2013, 06:45 AM
I only do it when the strings have recently been changed and still are frequently going out of tune because of stretching. One they've settled and hold a tune, I clip the tuner on, tune the uke then take the tuner off and leave it off.

Me, too.

Plus, I read that the chemicals in the rubber grips can affect the finish if left on too long.

mds725
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
When I was in a concert band (no stringed instruments) in high school, we all tuned backstage before a performance to the oboe (it'a apparently really hard to tune an oboe). but at the beginning of the performance, we would all very publicly tune to the first clarinet first chair, even though we were already tuned, because (the idea went) the audience wanted to know we were in tune and it helped for them to see it. I think having a tuner on the headstock during a performance conveys a similar message. I take my tuner off when I'm just playing at home, but if I'm performing, I leave it on the headstock because that's usually the best place to store it.

sukie
04-13-2013, 06:52 AM
No. I never leave it on. Ruins the look. Ad the one I have buzzes. And as somebody else said -- I don't like the balance. Ad I think it looks stupid.

Yeah, I said it.

Sorry, but it does.

DaveVisi
04-13-2013, 06:53 AM
I see clip-ons on many guitars in performances. Those that don't, if they are plugged in, it's easy to include an in-line tuner in your pedal setup.

BIGDB
04-13-2013, 07:03 AM
I have the planet waves mini tuner and I always leave it on cause last time I left one in my pocket and it got washed so I never take it off amymore

Dan Uke
04-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Look at this way, luthiers work so hard to shave a gram here or there and then we put a tuner or put a pickup and ruin the balance.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-13-2013, 07:05 AM
I clip on tuner can also deteriorate the finish where it comes into contact after a while. If you are concerned about such things make sure you clip and unclip carefully, avoiding a twisting motion when doing so. Beyond that I find it distracting too (and mine also buzzes on certain notes.) I like using a Peterson strobe app on my iDevice.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Look at this way, luthiers work so hard to shave a gram here or there and then we put a tuner or put a pickup and ruin the balance.

That's only half true Daniel. It's important where and how that weight is distributed. Sometimes a little extra weight up on the head stock can add to the sustain. The weight of a small plastic tuner is so insignificant it would be difficult to measure though.

Pondoro
04-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I often play with a tuner clipped on. I rarely perform but I take it off for those rare performances. I always use a strap (sorry if that horrifies you) so balance is not an issue for me.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-13-2013, 07:20 AM
I prefer to play without a tuner on my uke. I prefer to tune by ear to reference tones, but I use a tuner if I'm playing somewhere loud like a bar. (I'll still take the tuner off my uke after tuning, though.)

Wicked
04-13-2013, 07:20 AM
No!

This is just one of my pet peeves. Unless you are in the process of tuning your instrument, then take that thing off.

Dan Uke
04-13-2013, 07:31 AM
That's only half true Daniel. It's important where and how that weight is distributed. Sometimes a little extra weight up on the head stock can add to the sustain. The weight of a small plastic tuner is so insignificant it would be difficult to measure though.

Thanks for the clarification Chuck. My snark doesnt seem too light...I might have to get a smaller one.

DaveVisi
04-13-2013, 07:39 AM
This tuner (http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=592&productname=NS_Mini_Headstock_Tuner) is the smallest and lightest I've ever seen. I have three of them, one clipped on each of my most played instruments.

itsme
04-13-2013, 07:45 AM
I've seen Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin) play Banjo with the tuner clipped to his headstock.
I saw the LAGQ in concert some years ago and one of them had a tuner clipped on his classical guitar the whole time.

I don't leave mine on unless I'm breaking in new strings and will be constantly tuning for a while. I'm going to take it off to put the uke back in its case when I'm done anyway.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-13-2013, 07:45 AM
This tuner (http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=592&productname=NS_Mini_Headstock_Tuner) is the smallest and lightest I've ever seen. I have three of them, one clipped on each of my most played instruments.

I like it!

oldetymey
04-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Its not my favorite look, kind of like those bangles folks hang off their headstocks for decoration, not a big fan of those either. Interesting to note from some the above posts that it isnt just a uke thing.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Its not my favorite look, kind of like those bangles folks hang off their headstocks for decoration, not a big fan of those either.
Or excess string for that matter! ;)

Rick Turner
04-13-2013, 08:15 AM
I currrently use a Snark because it's got the fastest and most accurate lock-onto-pitch of any tuner I've tried. I do like having it on the peghead while I play for quick tuning touchups. The weight just isn't an issue.

oldetymey
04-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Oh god, yes. I hate that....the tuners and the decorations I dont dig that look, but I certainly dont take issue with folks doing it. The coils of excess string on the other hand.......I know it shouldnt, but it drives me nuts.

The Big Kahuna
04-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Great place to stick your cigarettes. I used to finish gigs with half a dozen fag ends bobbling around on my headstock.

sukie
04-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Great place to stick your cigarettes. I used to finish gigs with half a dozen fag ends bobbling around on my headstock.

Never thought of that!
You come up with some doozies, Big K.

tobinsuke
04-13-2013, 08:36 AM

These are for sale by UU in the "Buy UU Merch" tab at the top of the page.

PereBourik
04-13-2013, 08:40 AM
On to tune. Off to play. Period.

SailQwest
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM

We have these on most of our ukes.

Large fluctuations in temperature and humidity here mean we have to tune frequently. :p

GaryC1968
04-13-2013, 09:37 AM

I just ordered three of these from Amazon. They look like they will work great and not having to take them off and on is a big plus.

TG&Y
04-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Nope, but that practice has caught my eye too.

I always see uke players playing, and even performing onstage with tuners clipped to their headstocks, why is this? I never see guitar/banjo/mando/bass players do this. Is there a reason for it? maybe changing tunings mid performance? Maybe ukes are more apt to go out of tune than a guitar (though Ive not found this to be so). or is it just something that uke players picked up, and its mostly for looks at this point? Just a curiousity to me I guess.

MGM
04-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Nope, but that practice has caught my eye too.

Many professionals use tuners clipped on as in live stage performance....Although I like to use the ear you cant hear well enough to catch harmonic waves often when performing...so using one between songs becomes useful (and is much quieter..ha ha)

Tootler
04-13-2013, 12:38 PM

I still find the weight of a clip on tuner affects the balance, though. I always take mine off for that reason. I play almost exclusively sopranos which I would expect to be most likely to have their balance affected.

I've also noticed it's not uncommon for guitarists to leave their tuners clipped on while they play. Some tuners seem designed for this as they can be folded down when not in use.

-Emma-
04-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I always take my tuner off and if I'm using a music stand I just clip it onto there. I don't like the look of it being clipped on while playing and my tuner rattles slightly if you move it.

OldePhart
04-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Usually I take it off unless there isn't any place convenient to set it or the strings are still kind of stretching in so I know I'm likely to need it a lot. The little Snark is not all that heavy but I can tell that it has an adverse affect on balance on my sopranos and longneck sopranos, not so much on the bigger ukes.

I usually only use my Stroboclip when I'm doing a setup but on the occasions when I do take it out I don't leave it on the head stock - it is way too heavy.

John

UkeKiddinMe
04-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I keep it on the headstock all the time while I practice at home.

I don't perform with a ukulele - yet. :) But it's in my future.
When I do, I will probably keep it on. I expect to quickly tune often while performing.

Sporin
04-13-2013, 05:28 PM
I keep mine on my tenor and concert pretty much full time, even in the case. Doesn't bother me there and that way I don't lose it. I like to check tuning frequently and I can't do it by ear.

Much like when I discovered how many UU ukers "hate" straps, I'm now surprised that so many UU ukers "hate" this as well.

(shrug) 😀

Tootler
04-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Much like when I discovered how many UU ukers "hate" straps, I'm now surprised that so many UU ukers "hate" this as well.

I can't say it bothers me either way I just don't choose to do it myself.

I must say I don't really understand the vehemence expressed by some (in both cases).

ChaosToo
04-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Doesn't bother me either way in terms of weight - but my current tuner buzzes a bit on certain notes, so I take it off if it gets annoying......

Katz-in-Boots
04-13-2013, 11:02 PM
I find the weight of my tuner really noticeable on my concerts, and I don't need that. Even though I use a small tuner, it's still noticeable to me.

I can't stand the excess string thing. My teacher said that metal wound strings start unwinding if you cut them off. Fortunately I don't use those, and I can't see any reason to risk a poke in the eye.

consitter
04-13-2013, 11:25 PM
No. I never leave it on. Ruins the look. Ad the one I have buzzes. And as somebody else said -- I don't like the balance. Ad I think it looks stupid.

Yeah, I said it.

Sorry, but it does.

The ONLY time I will ever play with a tuner clipped on, is in the presence of Sukie. :)

consitter
04-13-2013, 11:30 PM

The UU store actually sells these if interested in one. It also helps support the UU to keep it in operation. Win/win.

consitter
04-13-2013, 11:32 PM
These are for sale by UU in the "Buy UU Merch" tab at the top of the page.

Wish I'd thought of that. :)

sukie
04-14-2013, 05:36 AM
The ONLY time I will ever play with a tuner clipped on, is in the presence of Sukie. :)

You would. :-p

Dan Uke
04-14-2013, 05:39 AM
I have to change my answer to yes in consideration that the OP mentioned performing. If I was on stage, I would be standing and using a strap so balance isnt as big a deal so I would keep the tuner on

Loudster
04-14-2013, 10:31 AM

I bought a 2 pack of those on buy.com a couple weeks ago (which by the way was rebranded, so I wasn't even sure I was ordering from a legitimate site at first. Sheesh, dumbest rebrand ever) because I found them cheapest there at the time. My only complaint is that they're not made for ukuleles and they don't go quite tight enough to grip tightly on my kala headstock with sealed tuners. The headstock is too skinny and now it does buzz every once in a while while I play. Other than that, great little low-profile tuner.

Doc_J
04-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Many professionals use tuners clipped on as in live stage performance....Although I like to use the ear you cant hear well enough to catch harmonic waves often when performing...so using one between songs becomes useful (and is much quieter..ha ha)

Yes, I saw Jake in Atlanta last month, and noted he kept a tuner clipped on it the whole show. He did retune a couple of times, while talking to the audience.

I always take the tuner off to play. Imbalance, vibration, as well as the look are why.

Tootler
04-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I have to change my answer to yes in consideration that the OP mentioned performing. If I was on stage, I would be standing and using a strap so balance isnt as big a deal so I would keep the tuner on

With larger ukes, I can see that a strap is useful. I normally play soprano or concert and I prefer to play those without a strap, though I do have a uke leash which I used at the beginning. I've just got a Risa solid "stick" and they definitely need a strap as does my U-Bass. Even so, I prefer to take the tuner off. With the Risa, having no headstock the tuner actually gets in the way.

addicted2myuke
04-14-2013, 01:07 PM
I saw Jake too and there was no tuner on his uke. He just tuned by ear which does not surprise me considering he is part ukulele.;0). Yes, I keep my tuners clipped onto my ukes but not turned on.When I first started playing, I used to take them off, but was always misplacing them, so leaving them on seemed like a good idea. They don't add weight and I would rather have them clipped on than look like a dope trying to find them every time. Just my 2 cents.

haole
04-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I leave it on the headstock when I play. Otherwise I'd lose it.

UkeKiddinMe
04-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I leave it on the headstock when I play. Otherwise I'd lose it.

Good point. I live in a household with a very powerful black hole, where there are many socks, screwdrivers,
and guitar accessories sucked into it.

I actually owned two planet waves tuners last year, before I took up the uke. They are both - in the black hole.

The Orange Mage
04-14-2013, 03:30 PM
For me, personally, playing with the tuner still clipped-on is like tucking your shirt into your underwear...it's okay as long as no one sees it. :uhoh:

joekulele
04-14-2013, 07:23 PM
I always take my tuner off and clip it to my stand when leading a group. My Leilani doesn't want anything sitting on top of her pretty crown headstock...;)
-joe

Newportlocal
04-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I keep my tuner on when I am playing, and don't notice it at all. Much easier for when I want to check my tuning.

gitarzan
04-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I use one of these, actually I own several.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-12-Clip-On-Headstock/dp/B005FKF1PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366012960&sr=8-1&keywords=planet+waves+tuner

They hide behind the headstock and are not so obvious.

Manalishi
04-14-2013, 10:46 PM
No for all the reasons given above.It destroys the
balance for one thing (I play strapless sopranos
for the most part) and it is aesthetically wrong.
Why ruin a good design by leaving the tuner on
the headstock? Like leaving your shower cap on in
case it rains!

CasanovaGuy
04-14-2013, 11:34 PM
I guess I'm part of the minority lol. I admit that there's not really a difference in sustain with attaching tuners for extra vibration, but I love to keep my tuner (and even a capo) attached when I play. I don't even use it most of the time because I tune my uke by ear. As for the added weight, I can't tell the difference. And I don't know why, but I personally love the look of tuners and capos on headstocks. It looks more professional in my opinion.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with it. It's just another modification, a way of customizing an ukulele to one's liking.

oldetymey
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I guess I'm part of the minority lol. I admit that there's not really a difference in sustain with attaching tuners for extra vibration, but I love to keep my tuner (and even a capo) attached when I play. I don't even use it most of the time because I tune my uke by ear. As for the added weight, I can't tell the difference. And I don't know why, but I personally love the look of tuners and capos on headstocks. It looks more professional in my opinion.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with it. It's just another modification, a way of customizing an ukulele to one's liking.

Nothing wrong with it at all, like I said I personally dont care for the look of it, but my intent when I started this thread was to figure out if folks did it just as a habit, or for looks, or if there really was a method behind it. From what Ive seen here the answer is all three!

CasanovaGuy
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all, like I said I personally dont care for the look of it, but my intent when I started this thread was to figure out if folks did it just as a habit, or for looks, or if there really was a method behind it. From what Ive seen here the answer is all three!

Totes brah. TBH, I was quite surprised reading through the thread xD

strumsilly
04-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Tuners-sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. consistency is not my forte'. I also leave my string ends long if I'm not sure I will leave them on, that way it's easier to reuse them. and I use straps on my tenors and baris. so there.

LifesShort
04-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Not only do I leave my tuner on when I play, but I have a tuner for every uke. That way, any ukulele I pick up has a tuner and I don't have to go looking for one. The exception, of course, would be any ukulele that is in its case. Then the tuner can be found in the case's pocket ready to be clipped on the uke as soon as it is removed from the case.

The Big Kahuna
04-15-2013, 05:37 AM
What we really need is a tuner which can be worn like a wristwatch on the inside of the left wrist. That way, you can hold the neck, pluck a string and reach up to the tuners with your right hand. If I hold just the head part of a Snark in my left palm and pluck a string while touching the neck, the vibration registers.

fumanshu
04-15-2013, 06:00 AM
I like to let my Peterson tuner on my headstock....but always scared when I see it drop on the floor when I hit something!!!!

Louis0815
04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
+1 for the PW mini - I have one on every uke (except the Flea) and I hardly ever take them off to avoid any strange "black hole effects"

My only complaint is that they're not made for ukuleles and they don't go quite tight enough to grip tightly on my kala headstock with sealed tuners. The headstock is too skinny and now it does buzz every once in a while while I play. Other than that, great little low-profile tuner.
Where have you clipped it on? I keep mine on the lower end of the headstock, right between the tuners and the nut - and it feels ok.
If the clip is not tight enough you could always put a small piece of (black) cardboard under the clip (not under the tuner of course).
http://wpcdn2.mnbvcx.net/NS_KA-C_front-201x300.jpg

jefrs
04-15-2013, 09:46 AM

I (and many others) do this all the time when performing with guitar.
If I take it off, I'll only have to put it back on again. It's for checking the tuning and staying in tune. Sod's law dictates that if you keep it on you will not go out of tune, unless your remove it...

At home I'll use a Peterson pedal for the guitars (one acoustic guitar has a built-in tuner). There is a very good Peterson strobe tuner app for iPad/iPhone but the ubiquitous clip on is easier. Snark Ukulele Tuner.

acmespaceship
04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
When I'm playing in a group and in front of an audience, I keep the tuner on the headstock. I think it's less distracting to keep it there rather than moving it on and off during performance. After 15 minutes under stage lights, a uke can drift pretty far out of tune and it's a good idea to sneak a look at the tuner -- unless you're one of those savants who can tune by ear in a crowd.

I don't care what it looks like. Isn't the point what it sounds like?

When I'm not performing, I take the tuner off if I have a convenient place to put it. But really I don't care where it is as long as I don't leave it in a shirt pocket and wash it. Not that I'm admitting to anything.

Craig Chee
04-15-2013, 06:23 PM
I also use the really tiny planet waves tuner for most things and leave it on during most gigs since it's pretty ninja-like. Definitely take it off during recordings though as it does buzz a little bit. For bigger gigs I have my DI that has a mute/tuner.

The larger tuners (like the Snarks) can be so distracting sometimes. Especially other large bright colored tuners!

hawaii 50
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM
I just ordered three of these from Amazon. They look like they will work great and not having to take them off and on is a big plus.

Wow..you guys did not get them from the Ukulele Underground store..i got mine from Aldrine..gots to give back to the UU

Loudster
04-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Where have you clipped it on? I keep mine on the lower end of the headstock, right between the tuners and the nut - and it feels ok.
If the clip is not tight enough you could always put a small piece of (black) cardboard under the clip (not under the tuner of course).

Same, and I've also put it at the end of the endstock. Neither place is _quite_ tight enough to avoid the periodic buzz on either. I have two of these tuners and both act the same regardless of where I put them. It doesn't bug me that much, but had they added 1 more notch then I think it would have fit perfectly.

SeattleSean
04-16-2013, 07:32 AM
I think of playing with one's tuner clipped on as akin to wearing socks with sandals.... okay to do in the privacy of home, but best avoided in public.

jackwhale
04-16-2013, 07:45 AM
I have found the Snark to be the least intrusive tuner I've owned. I have one for each uke and guitar.

On the question of keeping the Snark on the uke or not...its certainly a trade off. I'm amazed that so many have such a strong opinion about having a tuner on the uke. I do 'hide' the Snark behind the headstock rather than in front where it obscures the maker/luthier. Its a little more difficult to reach the tuners but the Snark is less visible.

Around the house I keep the Snark in the case after initial tuning but when playing with others I check tuning more often and keep the Snark on the uke. My friends have a definite preference that I play in tune.

jefrs
04-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Often the luthier provides a heavier headstock for better resonance, or we hook a capo up there to improve tone and sustain.
This is why you see great bat like headstocks on jazz guitars.

I've seen the finish damaged by a capo, it bruised the neck, dented it by over-enthusiastic tightening, but not by a clip-on tuner.

hawaii 50
04-16-2013, 07:59 PM
+1 for the PW mini - I have one on every uke (except the Flea) and I hardly ever take them off to avoid any strange "black hole effects"

just wondering..looking at the picture,does you thumb hit the tuner? I put mine on the top of the headstock?

electrauke
04-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for this thread I have been wondering the same thing.

Sporin
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
I will say that at my local uke club, most of the people have a snark or other tuner clipped on all the time.

I was at a jam last night, 1 of 2 uke players. Probably 8 guitarists and almost all of them had a tuner and/or a capo on the headstock all night long.

So in my anecdotal experience, and in my area, at jams and clubs, clipped on tunor is more the norm then not. Performing on stage in front of people might be a whole different story.

The Big Kahuna
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
With some judicious application of a cone drill, I don't see how it would be difficult to significantly reduce the weight of a cheap tuner. I'm tempted to butcher my SN-10, or even my hateful little Kala tuner, which was a freebie from Scotty. I don't think it would be hard to modify. Maybe figure a way to mount it on the strap pin, or secure it to the inside of the Uke with velcro (I'm just coming up with random and increasingly ridiculous ideas here). There has to be a better solution here somewhere.

TaoJones1066
04-17-2013, 10:48 AM
I must admit I generaly do have a snark clamped onto my Uke. Having said this, I only play in my room by myself, and I've only had it about a week.

wendellfiddler
04-17-2013, 10:58 AM
I guess I'm old school - learn to tune without having one clipped on constantly. I think they're ugly and they broadcast to the whole world that you can't can't keep the thing in tune yourself - but then, I'm probably in a minority.

Duk