Do you play with your tuner clipped on?

oldetymey

Reaction score
I always see uke players playing, and even performing onstage with tuners clipped to their headstocks, why is this? I never see guitar/banjo/mando/bass players do this. Is there a reason for it? maybe changing tunings mid performance? Maybe ukes are more apt to go out of tune than a guitar (though Ive not found this to be so). or is it just something that uke players picked up, and its mostly for looks at this point? Just a curiousity to me I guess.

I only do it when the strings have recently been changed and still are frequently going out of tune because of stretching. One they've settled and hold a tune, I clip the tuner on, tune the uke then take the tuner off and leave it off.

I never leave a tuner clipped to my headstock when I play. I love the simple beauty of the ukulele, especially vintage ukuleles, and I hate the way an electronic device looks clipped to it.

I've seen Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin) play Banjo with the tuner clipped to his headstock.

I never leave a tuner clipped to my headstock when I play. I love the simple beauty of the ukulele, especially vintage ukuleles, and I hate the way an electronic device looks clipped to it.

Hard to enjoy the beauty of your uke while playing.

I keep it off cuz I dont like the balance

I only do it when the strings have recently been changed and still are frequently going out of tune because of stretching. One they've settled and hold a tune, I clip the tuner on, tune the uke then take the tuner off and leave it off.

Me, too.

Plus, I read that the chemicals in the rubber grips can affect the finish if left on too long.

When I was in a concert band (no stringed instruments) in high school, we all tuned backstage before a performance to the oboe (it'a apparently really hard to tune an oboe). but at the beginning of the performance, we would all very publicly tune to the first clarinet first chair, even though we were already tuned, because (the idea went) the audience wanted to know we were in tune and it helped for them to see it. I think having a tuner on the headstock during a performance conveys a similar message. I take my tuner off when I'm just playing at home, but if I'm performing, I leave it on the headstock because that's usually the best place to store it.

No. I never leave it on. Ruins the look. Ad the one I have buzzes. And as somebody else said -- I don't like the balance. Ad I think it looks stupid.

Yeah, I said it.

Sorry, but it does.

I see clip-ons on many guitars in performances. Those that don't, if they are plugged in, it's easy to include an in-line tuner in your pedal setup.

Look at this way, luthiers work so hard to shave a gram here or there and then we put a tuner or put a pickup and ruin the balance.

I clip on tuner can also deteriorate the finish where it comes into contact after a while. If you are concerned about such things make sure you clip and unclip carefully, avoiding a twisting motion when doing so. Beyond that I find it distracting too (and mine also buzzes on certain notes.) I like using a Peterson strobe app on my iDevice.

Last edited:
Look at this way, luthiers work so hard to shave a gram here or there and then we put a tuner or put a pickup and ruin the balance.

That's only half true Daniel. It's important where and how that weight is distributed. Sometimes a little extra weight up on the head stock can add to the sustain. The weight of a small plastic tuner is so insignificant it would be difficult to measure though.

I often play with a tuner clipped on. I rarely perform but I take it off for those rare performances. I always use a strap (sorry if that horrifies you) so balance is not an issue for me.

I prefer to play without a tuner on my uke. I prefer to tune by ear to reference tones, but I use a tuner if I'm playing somewhere loud like a bar. (I'll still take the tuner off my uke after tuning, though.)

No!

This is just one of my pet peeves. Unless you are in the process of tuning your instrument, then take that thing off.

That's only half true Daniel. It's important where and how that weight is distributed. Sometimes a little extra weight up on the head stock can add to the sustain. The weight of a small plastic tuner is so insignificant it would be difficult to measure though.

Thanks for the clarification Chuck. My snark doesnt seem too light...I might have to get a smaller one.

This tuner is the smallest and lightest I've ever seen. I have three of them, one clipped on each of my most played instruments.

I've seen Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin) play Banjo with the tuner clipped to his headstock.
I saw the LAGQ in concert some years ago and one of them had a tuner clipped on his classical guitar the whole time.

I don't leave mine on unless I'm breaking in new strings and will be constantly tuning for a while. I'm going to take it off to put the uke back in its case when I'm done anyway.

Top Bottom