Side sound port on a Fluke?

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Just curious. Has anybody drilled a side sound port on your Fluke?

Haven't tried it, but a LONG time ago someone posted about accidentally breaking a chunk off the side of a Fluke, only to be pleasantly surprised with the sound.

Found it!
http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/brands/fluke-ukulele/
Perhaps the best thing about my Fluke is this. I am disabled, and not too steady on my feet. About five years ago, I took a fall in my house and landed smack dab on my ukes. Two were completely destroyed. They were cheapies, and I didn't mourn their loss, but my Fluke.. oh! my Fluke.

The face and neck of the instrument were fine, but its hard plastic back was cracked, and a piece of the back the size of a silver dollar had broken out. I was devastated.

I called my Uncle in tears, and he drove over to give me one of his ukes until I could afford to replace the Fluke. He picked up my poor broken Fluke and plucked at its strings for a few minutes, then began to really play it..

and he turned to me and said "Jenn, this thing sounds as good as, if not better, than before the break!" He went out and grabbed his Fluke from his car to do some comparisons, and what do you know? Mine actually played a bit louder and with more resonance than his. After comparing, he grabbed my Dremel tool and modified his Fluke to have a "backside" sound hole like mine did.

Top Bottom