New Uke Day - Risa Uke Solid Concert

Tootler

Reaction score
I was in town yesterday so I thought I would take a look at the music shop and see what they had. I half hoped they would have a Risa solid, though I didn't have high expectations, but they did so I went in and tried it and was bowled over so I am now the proud owner of a concert size Risa Uke Solid.

I've spent part of today trying it. At the moment just on my micro amps. I have a Marshall Micro stack and it sounded pretty good on that then I tried it on a Vox AC1RhythmVox Bass amp and it sounded even better! I had got the Vox amp for my U-Bass but it does really well for the Risa. I can get quite a variety of tone and more than enough volume for home purposes. At some point, I will have to try it on a "full size" amp when I can get round to getting one out and plugging it in.

I'm going by train to Austria on holiday this summer and the Risa will fit into my suitcase and will be sturdy enough to serve as a travel uke.

I was a bit concerned about whether the lack of a headstock would make it difficult to fret but I needn't have worried. I found I quickly adapted.

Congratulations. How about some pics?

A friend of mine got a Risa stick and the first time I played it my hand almost flew off the fretboard when I tried to play E7. I hadn't realized how much I relied on the headstock to tell me where my hand was.

They are so good - miles and miles above any solid uke from the likes of Eleuke or Stagg - all on account of that pickup and sublime neck action. I adore mine.

Aloha tootler,
Congratulations...get yourself a honeytone battery portable amp and a A/C adapter..19.99 + 9.99 musicians friend....happy strummings they are great for travaling and work or nights

Not to highjack your thread, but if anybody else wants a Risa Concert, I have one for sale here. I want to get a tenor.

Congratulations Geoff. I have a friend who had one (stolen recently :( ) and played it myself a couple of times. Fun instrument. You must try and bring out the rocker in yourself by adding a guitar effects pedal to your armoury sometime. It's amazing what a uke can sound like with heavy delay and a touch of distortion ;)

Top Bottom