Making wood binding

tonewood

Reaction score
A few of the builders that I supply have asked at various times if I sold koa binding. I always shugged it off. But I hate wasting wood, especially real curly woods. And so many times you are always left with that unusable strip. Its always just an 1/8 off of being big enough for sides. So naturally I am seeing binding in my future. So if I just thickness sand through my drum sander a veneer of wood the proper thickness, then run that piece through my bandsaw with a make shift feather board. Do you feel the finished tolerances sufficient to be selling to the general public and them being satisfied. If I understand correct your binding is slightly oversized and you clean it up to fit your needs. Any insight or scrutiny welcomed. Thanks, Brett

When I buy bindings I tend to buy guitar bindings because they're a bit more readily available, then cut them down to uke size, wasting plenty of wood. I'd be happy just to buy the off cuts of too-small-for-much-else wood and resaw my own bindings.

That said, the 1/8th wide 14tpi blade I've got on my little bandsaw, in conjunction with a zero clearance insert leaves a surface as good as any commercially bought bindings.

Depends on your bandsaw blade. If you are using a sharp trimaster and put a board under your cut to prevent tearout, then yes it would be good enough. It isn't hard to sand the thin way up if you hold ten or so at a time together and keep them pinched together as they go thru the sander. It's easy to keep them square.

I make binding for my own use by slitting a bit off guitar sides.
Never-the-less I still buy binding of those woods that I use a lot of, like Rosewood. Because suppliers make binding in a standard size that works for everyone, I have to cut it down to the size I like.
If you are making enough binding that you could sell your surplus, just state the size that you have for sale, and let the buyer decide if it fits for them.
If you get into making tons of binding, you had better make the standard size or you'll go crazy taking custom orders.

I prefer to make my own form stock too small for any other use. Offering those bits to people so that they could cut them to suit the project at hand would be more beneficial in my opinion.

Top Bottom