No bridgeplate on Collings Tenor?

Kevdog

Reaction score
I was checking out my Collings Tenor and noticed there was not a bridgeplate- did I miss it or are they building without a bridgeplate and relying on the fan braces to support the bridge?

If they aren't using a bridgeplate would that free up the top significantly more (%-wise) than if they did use one? Would it be worth giving up the structural strength for a livelier top?

Any ideas?

I was checking out my Collings Tenor and noticed there was not a bridgeplate- did I miss it or are they building without a bridgeplate and relying on the fan braces to support the bridge?

If they aren't using a bridgeplate would that free up the top significantly more (%-wise) than if they did use one? Would it be worth giving up the structural strength for a livelier top?

Any ideas?

Bridge plates are used or not used for many reasons. Most of the time, they're not used for cross grain strength like a transverse brace, but they are sometimes used for cross grain stability. They are also used when a string through type of bridge is employed, such as bridge pins. This adds addition wood for the wear spot of the string ball ends and pins. With a tie on type bridge, like a classical guitar, they may or may not be used, this is at the discretion of the luthier and their methods of working. Both methods have been used with success for many years.

Last edited:
Hard to say what the difference would be with a bridge plate. If they had a bridge plate they might make the fan braces lighter or make the top thinner. You'd have to build several copies with and without the plate to really see what the difference is.
We've all heard examples of each style that sound great.

Top Bottom