FT - Luna Concert "Mo'o" Cedar Top

Kyle23

Reaction score
I love this uke, my first one ever, but something about the finish just doesn't agree with my skin. On my strumming arm, it rubs against the finish and I get a little rash. If it wasn't for that, I'd never trade/sell it, but I just might have to. Here are the specs from the Luna website

Laser etched leaf & lizard design by Alex Morgan
23" full concert
Top: solid cedar
Back & sides: mahogany
Profile: concert
Fretboard: rosewood
On board preamp
Finish: clear matte
Gig bag included

Also the preamp or pickup (I don't know the difference tbh) is useless to me since I don't have an amp, so that's another reason to trade it.

Some pics, I'll include the Luna gig bag it came with with the cleaning cloth.

fjf2g1.jpg

It has a little part on the 2nd fret at the top where it's a tad bit raised, that's how it came. You can see it in the pic above, it's the silver looking line. Here it is close up.
34rbmn5.jpg

2nd fret about half way down. I didn't even notice it until a couple of weeks ago, but it's been there since I first received it.

And the other mark, honestly it looks like a flaw in an open pore finish.
358otpc.jpg

Other than that, it's a beautiful uke. It sounds great too. I'm not sure what else to add because this is my first time doing this, but I'll be happy to answer any questions. I'm looking for a concert/tenor(maybe) with possibly a gloss finish. Like I said, something with this finish causes something like an allergic reaction with my arm, so any kind of finish other than what I have will be great.

Ahh...I remember you mentioning that problem a while back but you didn't mention that the uke was a cedar top (or I overlooked your mention of it). A small percentage of the population is mildly allergic to the natural oils in some varieties of cedar. I am convinced that those people somehow have a little moth DNA in their genes (just a - possibly poor - joke, cedar chips and cedar chests are traditional means of protecting clothing from insects).

Anyway, I would avoid cedar instruments in the future as you are likely to have the same problem with them - that or make sure they have a pretty heavy polyurethane finish which most cedar ukes don't.

For the vast majority of the population that doesn't have a sensitivity to cedar, though, it's a lovely tone wood though personally I prefer it on guitars to ukes.

John

Ahh...I remember you mentioning that problem a while back but you didn't mention that the uke was a cedar top (or I overlooked your mention of it). A small percentage of the population is mildly allergic to the natural oils in some varieties of cedar. I am convinced that those people somehow have a little moth DNA in their genes (just a - possibly poor - joke, cedar chips and cedar chests are traditional means of protecting clothing from insects).

Anyway, I would avoid cedar instruments in the future as you are likely to have the same problem with them - that or make sure they have a pretty heavy polyurethane finish which most cedar ukes don't.

John

Ahhh yes. While I was typing this out I thought "it could be the cedar!". But yeah, anything not cedar should be good haha. Thanks a lot John.

Not selling, but if you mean what trade value I'm looking for, it doesn't really matter. This retails for a bunch of different prices between 160-200, but since it's used and has a few marks I don't NEED a ukulele in return that fits right in that price range.

Top Bottom