Best tenor case?

BIGDB

Reaction score
I'm wondering what a good tenor case would be I'd like one with pouches but I don't want it to be as soft as a gig bag so is there any hard case that had a good size pouch? I'm willing to spend 100-150

I recently got a Crossrock fiberglass tenor case from Elderly that I like, but it's $180.

I'm wondering what a good tenor case would be I'd like one with pouches but I don't want it to be as soft as a gig bag so is there any hard case that had a good size pouch? I'm willing to spend 100-150
Can you define "best" a little more? Do you want protection at any cost? That would be Ameritage or a flight case (many manufactures). Do you want very good protection, light weight and better portability? Heck, I'd argue the "Uke Crazy" style foam cases provide that all day long at ~$50. Do you value portability while sacrificing some protection? Look for high quality gig bags (Reunion Blues, etc.).

If you define what you are looking for, we can help you find the "best" case for your needs.

Can you define "best" a little more? Do you want protection at any cost? That would be Ameritage or a flight case (many manufactures). Do you want very good protection, light weight and better portability? Heck, I'd argue the "Uke Crazy" style foam cases provide that all day long at ~$50. Do you value portability while sacrificing some protection? Look for high quality gig bags (Reunion Blues, etc.).

If you define what you are looking for, we can help you find the "best" case for your needs.
I wouldn't say that you sacrifice protection at all with the reunion blues case. Quite the opposite. I travel with my high end ukes in my reunion blues case and don't worry much. I wouldn't want to check it at the airport but I'd put in in the overhead and not think twice about it. You've seen the videos, I'm sure.

I wouldn't say that you sacrifice protection at all with the reunion blues case. Quite the opposite. I travel with my high end ukes in my reunion blues case and don't worry much. I wouldn't want to check it at the airport but I'd put in in the overhead and not think twice about it. You've seen the videos, I'm sure.

To me, if you are afraid to check it then you have already lost some protection. That is OK, because often the trade is portability. If you will have it in sight, then trading protection for portability may make sense.

The one the fits your uke snugly inside the case...... :) get inside dementions first before you buy....

To me, if you are afraid to check it then you have already lost some protection. That is OK, because often the trade is portability. If you will have it in sight, then trading protection for portability may make sense.
Well, I'd not want to check any cases, except maybe the ameritage. Even then I would worry, knowing how luggage is handled. But the ameritage weighs a zillion pounds and you can wear the rb as a backpack. So maybe you sacrifice protection when compared to one other case, but you made it seem as if it lacks protection, which IMO it doesn't.

If they still made the ProTec Pro Pack cases, that'd probably have been your best bet in that price range. They had tons of space for stuff in it and felt very rugged with soft protection over wood.. Not sure how the ProTec Max cases compare.

I wonder why they discontinued that line...

If they still made the ProTec Pro Pack cases, that'd probably have been your best bet in that price range. They had tons of space for stuff in it and felt very rugged with soft protection over wood.. Not sure how the ProTec Max cases compare.

I wonder why they discontinued that line...
I have one of those that dkcrown sold to me and it too is a great case with tons of storage. My William King long scale tenor fits perfectly in it, but wouldn't fit in the rb.

The Ko'olau Oahu cases are good cases for the price.

The reunion blues one looks so nice don't have my uke yet but once I get it I think I'm gonna do what mm Stan says so I know it fits good

My Ameritages are HEAVY. But, if I were going on a plane and was forced to check it (by forced, I mean they wouldn't let me on the plane unless I did), I would feel safe doing so. Gate checking it anyway. Not so much checking it to put in the hold.

Where are you in SoCal, BIGDB? Maybe we can arrange for you to check my rb out. Pm me if interested.

My Ameritages are HEAVY. But, if I were going on a plane and was forced to check it (by forced, I mean they wouldn't let me on the plane unless I did), I would feel safe doing so. Gate checking it anyway. Not so much checking it to put in the hold.

I've never been asked to check an ukulele, but in case I am, I always have this video cued up on my phone. My hope would be that no airline employee would want to be responsible for the next video like this one.

I've never been asked to check an ukulele, but in case I am, I always have this video cued up on my phone. My hope would be that no airline employee would want to be responsible for the next video like this one.

Thus far, I haven't either. But Ameritage is the only case I've personally seen, that I would feel half-way safe with.

I've seen that video before. It's hilarious...and sad.

Last edited:
The Ko'olau Oahu cases are good cases for the price.

Just received a couple of Ko'olau Oahh cases this month. Really nice cases for the price! Something like the new Kamaka cases. Have an older Uke Crazy cross weave hard case (and a couple of unused Uke Crazy hard foam cases). These are also nice for the price. Noticed that the new Ko'olau cases and the new Kamaka cases are a little bit longer probably because of the recent popularity of the long-neck ukuleles.

Edit: Mine are all concert cases.

Last edited:
I love my new Crossrock CRA900TU tenor case (polycarbonate). It is light weight and fits my DaSilva tenor (and Kala) perfectly. It also has 4 clasps with one on the back between the hinges (one also locks).
crossrock case.jpg

I'll give a +1 on the Ameritage case. It's the best and I would say the safest built case around. I'm blown away by how well built they are. A little pricy and heavy but neither of those things bother me.
Thus far, I haven't either. But Ameritage is the only case I've personally seen, that I would feel half-way safe with.

I've seen that video before. It's hilarious...and sad.

Top Bottom