does strings make the uke or the uke make the strings?

tangimango

Reaction score
i believed that you can put aquilas or any good strings on a low end uke to make it sound better, but you can put the normal strings on a well built ukulele (for example kamaka) that makes great sound.

does that make sense? :)

Last edited:
Well, good strings will help out a poor uke, but good strings will sound great on a good uke. There is only so much can be done with strings.

my grandfather once told me that it is the person who is playing the ukulele makes it sound good,or bad and not to blame others around you or the ukulele I was complaining about how my brother was playing

but he did not have the choices we have now, even though he was a great player then too

In my opinion, the uke makes the strings. If it was the other way around, then people wouldn't spend $4000+ on custom ukuleles when they could just invest all that money on strings and lessons xD

With low end ukes, the strings can definitely make the uke. With better ukes, changing strings can make a difference but it's the uke first & the strings second. Overall it's finding the combination of uke and string that gives you the sound you want.

Hummm...I don't know which one do what....but for sure a good uke with good strings will sound much much better than cheap strings........

Strings do change a lot the tone of a uke too...so I think it's a personal thing also depending on how you like the feeling of each strings set and the tone you like...

My LFDM uke sounds really different if I change my strings with other sets.....

I really love the combination I have now...mahogany with Aquilas...I don't mess around trying to find a better sound, don't wanna waste time or money...I'm not even the least bit curious how it would sound with another brand, unelss the are more earth friendly...

My observations

I don't believe there is one best or one worst string type - only personal opinions

I also dont believe that just because I like string brand X on my ukulele Y, that you will think the same - depends on your own playing style and your own ears

I dont believe strings make you a better player

All that said - when you experiment with strings, and suddenly find a set that bring your uke to life, then I do think that can help you playing - because the whole process is a bit nicer.

The uke makes the strings make the uke makes the strings make the uke makes the strings....

Practice makes both.

Well I've got good ukes and so so ukes and good strings and cheaper ones. With a good player they sound good with either pairing, just not with me playing. The best uke with the best strings don't sound any better than the dolphin, just easier to play.

Top Bottom