Tuning as you move toward the bridge.

michaelphipps

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a tuning problem with my uke that I would like comments on.

The uke in question is a Soprano "Mahalo" that I picked up for about $100.

Strings are tuned gcea. I play 7th fret on the c string, which should play a G, but when I compare it with the G string, it is obviously out of tune. Here is a video explaining my dilema, with sound so you can hear what is going on.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=15c9LQLXXTA

So, do I have a dud, or is this a problem with most ukuleles?

its called intonation. and most ukes in that price range will have that problem. thats one of the things that sets the higher priced ukes apart from the lower echelon. the attention to detail involved with building them is what you end up paying for. if you have a good luthier in your area, they might be able to correct that for you, but it might end up costing half the price you paid for your uke.

thanks

Thanks NukeDOC.

I want to get a decent Tenor Uke anyway, so I'd rather save my cash for that. Of course, finding someone who sells decent Tenor Ukuleles in Brisbane Australia will be my next problem.

Thanks for answering the question

^ Australia has nothing, unless it has Aussie pride all over it. There is about 1 uke store in all of sydney that i know about and the ukuleles r hopeless

order it from over seas, i had to get mine ordered from there to australia.

use less pressure.

my friends kala concert has very bad intonation
ie. GCEA all tuned correctly, 4th fret on C plays F ahahha, 2nd fret on G plays Bb, lulz.

its not that bad of a problem for me as I have personally adjusted making it sound just fine, but have someone whos never touched it and boom, sounds way off.

Top Bottom