1st bass lesson ever

Nickie

Reaction score
I had my first bass lesson yesterday...I was so excited leading up to me, and my teacher didnt dissapoint. He tuned it for me (it was waaay out, LOL) and gave me a fret chart with all the notes on it, gave me a "song" to practice. He showed me how to find the ocataves and the 5ths...I think this is going to be fun, and it's a whole new approach to playing songs for me. Between that and piano and uke I am one busy girl!

Sounds like you're on your way! Congratulations and good luck! :)

Well, my bass playing career was short lived.....I could see how I could learn it without too much trouble, but the lessons are VERY expensive. My piano teach and my BFF, who is multi-talented, both suggested I focus on uke and piano only...so, I gave the Ubass to a very good friend who already knew how to play, and wanted one, and traded him my amp for some uke lessons...no money changing hands and now I'm not scattered between three instruments....I feel better...

Sorry it didn't work out but now you have a bass player to play with!!

Enjoy the lessons

Try jam play for bass guitar, works well for me.

A week after playing the bass "seriously," as in a couple of hours a day, a friend of a friend approached me for lessons. I've taught piano, drums and the guitar, but this is my first bass student; I took him on because he's a beginner. I'm a big proponent of the basics - scales, chord progressions, bass lines, arpeggios, rhythm, 12-bar blues, octaves, tuning, transposition, reading music, reading tabs - but I also like the idea of having a song to work on. For my piano students, there's always a "performance" book with longer works that we work on for several weeks. I supplement this with pop songs, and the one I picked to start with is "Free Falling" by Tom Petty because I can play it in my sleep on the guitar, which has the same rhythm as the bass, for the most part.

Top Bottom