FS: RARE KoAloha KS-01 Pineapple Soprano Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawaia

Reaction score
SOLD: RARE KoAloha KS-01 Pineapple Soprano Ukulele

SOLD

KoAloha KS-01 Pineapple Soprano Ukulele

Manufactured in May 2005 (Marked as a second)

Every piece of wood used in this instrument is 100% KOA! Body, neck, headstock, fretboard, bridge, nut, bracing - ALL KOA!!!! This is a very special model that is no longer available from KoAloha, even as an option.

This ukulele was bought (by me) direct from the KoAloha factory. It was used by the shop in some of their previous marketing photos, and I believe this is why it was sold as a second (with warranty).

Always stored in a temperature- and humidity-controlled environment. Non-smoking home, and never allowed near smoking. Rarely played.

I will include a hard-sided & padded nylon ukulele case with your purchase.

ALOHA!!!!

Last edited:
A quick search on a popular internet auction site shows a *very* similar item with a starting price of $750.

Still available. Asking price reduced. Will be back on fleabay 4/26. Happy strumming!

Lawaia, with respect, these retail new for about $700. Yours is used, and is a factory second, which for most of us reduces the secondary market price. You may ask what you want for your ukulele, but asking for more than retail on a used factory second is not likely to generate a lot of interest here, where people know prices and values quite well.

Lawaia, with respect, these retail new for about $700. Yours is used, and is a factory second, which for most of us reduces the secondary market price. You may ask what you want for your ukulele, but asking for more than retail on a used factory second is not likely to generate a lot of interest here, where people know prices and values quite well.

Thanks for the tip, however this is not a "run-of-the-mill" KSM-01. This is the KS-01 "All-Koa" model that is only available as a special order (custom build) from KoAloha. They are rarely seen, which is why some people confuse them with a standard-production ukulele.

My understanding is that KoAloha built regularly with all Koa when this ukulele was made. Because of the dramatic price increase of koa in the last several years, they have gone to using sapele for their necks. I've not heard of a custom factory second.

My understanding is that KoAloha built regularly with all Koa when this ukulele was made. Because of the dramatic price increase of koa in the last several years, they have gone to using sapele for their necks. I've not heard of a custom factory second.

To my knowledge, KoAloha has never built with all Koa as a standard instrument. The bodies are Koa, but the rest is not. You are correct that the norm for them is to use Sapele for the necks. I believe that the instrument I have was built and used for their advertising. This is why it was sold as a second by the factory. Not because it was a second, but because it was used by the company.

I would love to have more information from someone that may know the history of KoAloha more intimately. Maybe I will shoot them an email.

Is this the same uke that you were trying to sell last year around this time of year for 3K? Good luck with the sale.

I have an all koa Koaloha concert. Similar vintage to yours. Same tuners. Same one piece back and top. Lovely instrument to be sure, with great sound, but a standard factory model for the time I believe.

Is this the same uke that you were trying to sell last year around this time of year for 3K? Good luck with the sale.

Boy, tough crowd around here these days. No, I did not previously have this up for sale. I was considering it, and opened a thread asking for help with information. Unfortunately, no one seems to have any information about this particular model. Perhaps because there were not very many made?

I have emailed KoAloha, in hopes they can clarify for us. I have linked this thread in the email, and invited them to post here. I am not trying to pull a fast one here. I am honestly just trying to sell my ukulele.

Sorry I seem to be offending some people in the process.

I certainly didn't mean to offend, or imply that I was offended. I was just trying to lend some information. If I am wrong about the all koa Koalohas being standard models from a little ways back, I sure wish I hadn't just passed up another. I do really dig my all koa concert. And will be curious to know if you find something different. Because if it is really a rare custom, I just passed up a steal. And I will be clutching mine in my cold dead hands...

Boy, tough crowd around here these days. No, I did not previously have this up for sale. I was considering it, and opened a thread asking for help with information. Unfortunately, no one seems to have any information about this particular model. Perhaps because there were not very many made?

I have emailed KoAloha, in hopes they can clarify for us. I have linked this thread in the email, and invited them to post here. I am not trying to pull a fast one here. I am honestly just trying to sell my ukulele.

Sorry I seem to be offending some people in the process.

Not offended in the least. I was just trying to determine if this was the same uke as last year. You asked for the value last year and stated that 3K was a good starting point so I assumed that you were trying to sell it for that amount. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for bursting my speculative bubble Chrimess. Now I can go back to playing mine like the everyday workhorse it is.
BTW, for the right price, these all koa Koalohas are exceptional instruments.

Typical of KoAloha's great service, I got a quick email reply from Brian asking me to give him a call to discuss this uke. And he even took the time to look at this thread to get good information about the uke in question. The following is what he had to say:

They did produce "all-koa" ukes in the beginning, when koa was readily available. The availability started to dwindle, and they made it an option. They have not made many of the "all-koa" ukes.
The "all-koa" uke necks were hand cut and shaped by their luthiers.
The "all-koa" is not offered as an option anymore, even though their website still shows it. Their website is still being updated.
When it was last offered as an option, it was a $250 upcharge.
A new pineapple soprano runs $800. With the previous $250 upcharge, that would make a new "all-koa" pineapple soprano $1050. But it is not even an option that can be bought anymore.
With a 25% discount from that price, you would have a price of $787.50.
Although he said they do not typically appraise uke values, he thought mine should fetch $700-ish.

So there you have it. The word from KoAloha.

Thanks for your time, Brian! You guys are awesome! I get the same great feeling every time I deal with you guys, and I will always be a loyal customer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom