Help finding Destinations....

rossjr

Reaction score
Aloha! Been awhile since posting here.

We getting ready to head over to HI for 11 days, a few days on Kauai, a day on Oahu to see Pearl Harbor with a guest that's never been there and a week on Maui.

Just looking for any suggestions for tours, show, concerts and shops that have Ukulele's....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Mahalo

I was on Maui and Ohau in October, and I was on Kauai in April 2011. On Maui, I'd recommend one of the tours that takes you near the summit of Haleakala to see the sunrise. The tour I took included bicycles that were provided for us to ride down the mountain (not nearly as scary as it sounds) and the sunrise the day I went was magnificent. Mele Ukulele is on Maui, near Kahului, and while all their ukuleles are Meles, it was lots of fun to go there. You may not have time, but Oahu has Hawaiian Music Supply in Haleiwa on the North Shore. It's the Disneyland of ukuleles. When I was on Kauai, I visited what was at the time Larry's Music in Kapa'a. Back then, Larry's, owned by Sam Bonnano, carried the K brands, but now it's a Kamoa shop (Sam IS Kamoa). There's a second Larry's in Old Koloa Town that, I believe, still carries a wide variety of ukuleles and was, back then, run by Sam's parents. If you have time, drive through Waimea Canyon on the west side of Kauai to Koke'e State Park. The scenery is beautiful. I also drove up to Hanalei. I weanted to play "Hanalei Moon" there, but the day I went it was overcast at night.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much music/concerts on my visits to Hawaii. In October I was there to perform with my ukulele class at the Maui Ukulele Festival, but we didn't have much luck finding venues where ukulele music was played in the evening. On Kauai, there was ukulele music at some of the resorts in Poipu Beach.

Have a great time and I hope you report back on your visit, with photos.

Thanks, I was mainly looking for Ukulele related activites or destinations, like stores, shows or classes and demonstrations....

You MUST go see Aldrine whilst on Kauai. He plays on Weds and Friday nights. Different places, though.

You MUST go see Aldrine whilst on Kauai. He plays on Weds and Friday nights. Different places, though.

I'll do some checking do you know if they have a website?

Long time know see, last time was at Jake's show last year...

Top Bottom