PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Hunting for a Moore Bettah Tenor

coolcow
04-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Tried many ways, still no luck on getting a MB.
If anyone have a MB or happens to know anyone with a MB for sell please kindly let me know.
A spruce/milo would be a plus.

Million thanks, cow

hawaii 50
04-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Good luck..i hope it happens for you..
odds not too good since 2 were sold 3 weeks ago..but you never know

good luck!

rubber necker
04-16-2013, 03:16 AM
I would love to have a Moore Bettah too

rubber necker
04-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I guess no one selling they are beautiful ukuleles

Eyeguy
04-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Always someone selling. I've learned in the guitar world that you can find anything you want if you have two things: one, the patience, persistence and due diligence in searching, and, two, the ability and willingness to hand over the dough when the moment of truth arrives.

coolcow
04-18-2013, 03:00 AM
Always someone selling. I've learned in the guitar world that you can find anything you want if you have two things: one, the patience, persistence and due diligence in searching, and, two, the ability and willingness to hand over the dough when the moment of truth arrives.

I know it's not easy to have someone to sell their MBU, but i'm waiting patiently till the day it comes

Dan Uke
04-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Maybe you should offer to consider trades too...might entice those who have more than one MBU but doesn't have one of yours. Just a thought

hawaii 50
04-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Maybe you should offer to consider trades too...might entice those who have more than one MBU but doesn't have one of yours. Just a thought

Hey Daniel..

I broker a deal for coolcow with you for your MB and one of the other ukes ...just joking ..hehe

Dan Uke
04-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Hey Daniel..

I broker a deal for coolcow with you for your MB and one of the other ukes ...just joking ..hehe

I would do it but I don't know how to change my avatar on UU so I'm stuck with the MBU. hehehe

Ukulele Friend
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
So true, Eyeguy. We've been very fortunate to have acquired over the years some of the best custom and rarest vintage ukes to have been made - some remain in stock and others quickly pass through but each one has its own personality and was well worth the purchase. :D

Eyeguy
04-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Coolcow, Ukulele Friend is correct. The wait is worth the effort on these nice instruments, and they are out there.

Check this out: One of the "Holy Grail" guitars I was searching for took a full 5 years to find. I had put out feelers on every known guitar forum, guitar dealer website, and local bulletin board and then followed up continually every 3 months with each on a rotating basis. I even emailed professional performers who I had been told owned one and asked if they were interested in parting with it. No luck. Then one day, out of the blue, came a email from a gentleman I didn't even know who had remembered me asking about this particular guitar some years earlier on a guitar forum. Seems he had walked into a guitar shop a thousand miles away and spotted this particular guitar that had just been taken in that morning on a trade. I called the shop immediately and bought the guitar sight unseen and it is still with me and one of my favorite guitars.

On another occasion, I was contacted by another gentleman who had another "grail" guitar I had been looking for. He agreed to sell it to me and I drove from North Carolina to Atlanta to make the deal, and when I got there, he changed his mind and decided it was too precious to part with. I thanked him profusely for considering to sell it to me and told him I understood completely, because I did, and asked if I could keep in contact with him in case he ever decided to change his mind. He said yes. I emailed him every 6 months to politely check in and see how he was doing and if there had been any change of heart. He always said no, there hadn't been, and I would thank him and gently remind him that if he should ever change his mind, to please afford me the first right of refusal, even if the continually escalating price on this highly sought after vintage guitar was such that I could no longer afford it. This went on for 3 years. Then, one day came the email. He needed to sell the guitar for financial reasons and although he had been offered considerably more by a West Coast vintage guitar dealer, he offered it to me first and for less money since I had been so pleasant and non threatening and unwavering in my desire to own it. I really didn't have the money at the time to buy it, but I made it work anyway and it is worth every penny I paid for it.

Get the picture here?

Patience, persistence, and due diligence and you will eventually be rewarded, although not always on your time schedule and sometimes when you least expect it. But remember, when opportunity knocks on these rare birds, you must be prepared to answer immediately or it will vanish just as quickly.

Best of luck on your quest grasshopper - the hunt is more exciting than the catch IMHO.

Look forward to seeing Coolcow's Moore Bettah new uke day.

keliiyama
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Great stories! My holy grail guitar would be a Kevin Ryan Nightingale with flutes( I know they look kind of weird).

Eyeguy
04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
keliiyama,

Here you go.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/ryan-nightingale-soloist-madagascar-rosewood#

keliiyama
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM
keliiyama,

Here you go.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/ryan-nightingale-soloist-madagascar-rosewood#

Mahalo Eyeguy!!!!

That one looks amazing;) Too bad I'm tied up with two custom ukes!!!! Have you heard of Boaz Elkayam guitars?

Eyeguy
04-18-2013, 04:41 PM
keliiyama,

You mean like this one:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/2816-boaz_clarita_negra_kasa/

(Note: Al Petteway makes every guitar sound fantastic, but this one does sound very special)

You have fine, and expensive, taste in guitars. Dare I ask what kind of ukes you have in the works?

JB in Alabama
04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Cool cow,
Best of luck with your search! Those are some real beauty's!
I bet eye guy is right, stick with it and one will turn up.
In fact, I'm so sure ill say when you locate the SECOND give me a shout because more than one will probably show up when you least expect it!

The mermaid Uke on his site is AMAZING!

Have you tried to get on his list?

coolcow
04-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Good idea, I'm offcially consider trades as well. But not my LFdM.

coolcow
04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the stories eyeguy. I get it, patience & persistence, that's all I have for Moore Bettah's uke.

Thanks for the blessing, I hope one day there's a coolcow's Moore Bettah new uke day as well.

by the way...nice guitars.

coolcow
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Cool cow,
Best of luck with your search! Those are some real beauty's!
I bet eye guy is right, stick with it and one will turn up.
In fact, I'm so sure ill say when you locate the SECOND give me a shout because more than one will probably show up when you least expect it!

The mermaid Uke on his site is AMAZING!

Have you tried to get on his list?

Yes I tried to get on his list but no luck

wickedwahine11
04-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Yes I tried to get on his list but no luck

I was going to ask to get on his list, despite his website saying it is full, but was told by a Moore Bettah owner that he believed Chuck is no longer accepting custom orders any longer. If anyone hears otherwise let us know. I'll be standing behind coolcow in line.

Stevelele
04-19-2013, 06:50 AM
This would not at all surprise me if it were true. Chuck spends so much time corresponding with his customers--time that he could be spending building. If he can sell every single one of the uke he makes to his own preferences, within seconds, at that, it makes business sense for him to stop with the custom orders. I think that Chuck ought to have the equivalent of a suggestion box, where people submit their ideas for uke designs, and then he can just pick and choose from the best ideas along with his own ideas and then just sell them as he makes them. And maybe in his sales he can hold a lottery--let everyone submit their names and he can randomly draw from that list and give that person an opportunity to buy whatever he has for sale.

I was going to ask to get on his list, despite his website saying it is full, but was told by a Moore Bettah owner that he believed Chuck is no longer accepting custom orders any longer. If anyone hears otherwise let us know. I'll be standing behind coolcow in line.

hawaii 50
04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Hey bruddah Steve..

I think Chuck should do whatever he wants to do..i am guessing you not on the list...Lol

mm stan
04-19-2013, 02:58 PM
This would not at all surprise me if it were true. Chuck spends so much time corresponding with his customers--time that he could be spending building. If he can sell every single one of the uke he makes to his own preferences, within seconds, at that, it makes business sense for him to stop with the custom orders. I think that Chuck ought to have the equivalent of a suggestion box, where people submit their ideas for uke designs, and then he can just pick and choose from the best ideas along with his own ideas and then just sell them as he makes them. And maybe in his sales he can hold a lottery--let everyone submit their names and he can randomly draw from that list and give that person an opportunity to buy whatever he has for sale.
Aloha Bruddah Steve,
Chuckie is a master builder, he can do what he wants....and a good business man too and correspondance is a big point to be on top of it all...His strong points is building one of a kind customs
which he has complete control of the say in the building process, after all his name is on his ukes and it does make sense that all his ukes will be around long after you and me are gone...I guess
he wants to be known for his outstanding ukuleles in sound and looks....nothing wrong with that to keep the quality standard he sets for every ukulele to keep the good name and reputation
far in the future....why would he build production ukes and sell them more is my question, they may be far more less elaborate models ....I would like to believe he has enjoyment building the
best of the best ukuleles... would you settle for less....I think not.... you are a lawyer, would you take the lesser cases or the ones that mean more to you and make a difference?
I can understand your and others fustrations, but he cannot please all.....I am sure he tries to make the list process as fair as he can...like adding a program to cut out all the deleted
automatic callers....if he did not do that I would never had a chance at my milo/ spruce ukes... how would you randomly draw from a list, and isn't it the idea to build for a specific customer
alot better because you will get what you dreamed of and not just a one fits all producton ukulele.... Just my two cents:o

Ukulele Friend
04-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Aloha All

I've got to say, Chuck's ukes are some of my absolute favorites and as pure of an example of 'ukulele perfection' as one could hope for; tonally, aesthetically, and in terms of overall comfort and balance as you cradle the instrument. I'm sure all who have had the privilege of owning one of his pieces can attest to the fact that his ukes are each handcrafted with a level of dedication to his craft that is second to none and a level of commitment to his customers that parallels the love he holds for his art.

Believe me - being on his list is not something to be taken lightly. It's an honor (not a number). So please be grateful and be patient. Chuck really pours his all in to each build - After all, if you get a hold of one of Chuck's ukes - you are actually getting a hold of Chuck himself!

...and through the process you don't only gain a phenomenal ukulele, you've gained a friend - for life.

JB in Alabama
04-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Well Explained MMStan and Hawaii50

If it was not this way, would the be held in such high esteem?
He must be quite a cool guy!
I found the interview with him and his back story so interesting!

Perhaps one day!

Telperion
04-20-2013, 02:35 AM
I think Chuck should do whatever he wants to do...Lol

I Agree with the above post 100%. Chuck's in such a great position as a luthier right now. He's so established himself through years of work and natural talent that he absolutely can, and should, do whatever he wants. He has said before that he often produces his best work when not constrained by the details and specifications laid out in a custom order - when he is completely free to be creative and do whatever he wants. That's when new ideas get tested and exciting things happen. For that reason, I'd like to see Chuck work freely and then wait and see what comes out of it. Anyone who is upset with him for not opening a wait list or taking custom orders has got it all wrong. Chuck's a great person, with every good intention, but he's still only one guy. I said he's in a great position as a luthier, but it's also a tough position in terms of making everyone happy. My advice is to admire and respect Chuck's work, and be grateful that we've got someone defining ukulele quality like him. If you ever get a chance to purchase one of his ukes, treat it like winning the lottery!

(All this coming from someone who already has a MB...;))

-Steve

Telperion
04-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Chuck really pours his all in to each build - After all, if you get a hold of one of Chuck's ukes - you are actually getting a hold of Chuck himself!

I've always equated holding a ukulele to cradling a baby or child. Does this mean that I am actually cradling Chuck? Weird.

-Steve

Stevelele
04-20-2013, 03:34 AM
hey stan--thanks for writing. i'm not sure that we disagree. there's nothing like a chuck custom uke and customers who get a uke built to their specs are always thrilled. I would not, however, classify anything that chuck makes as a production uke. everything that's come out of his shop whether there's customer input or not, is a special one of a kind uke and not a production uke. I also agree that he is at his best when he's in complete control. I believe that some of his hula series were things that came from his own imagination. the point I was making is that if he decides to stop doing customs that are dictated by customer requests, that totally makes sense--I said this in response to another person saying that he heard chuck was going to stop taking custom orders altogether once he gets through his current list--I think he has suggested that he may do this in the past already, so it sounds like a credible rumor. Of course I would love to have chuck make me a custom, but I would also be thrilled to have him make me whatever he wants to make, too. Anyhow, I'm not actually frustrated at all as you noted, and don't think he's doing anything unfair. Just throwing out some ideas--of course he should decide what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. I happen to think a lottery system would be fun. He could let us all know that something is coming up, and he could do a drawing to see who has to chance to buy it. That's not a request for more fairness--it's a suggestion that I would find exciting.

Aloha Bruddah Steve,
Chuckie is a master builder, he can do what he wants....and a good business man too and correspondance is a big point to be on top of it all...His strong points is building one of a kind customs
which he has complete control of the say in the building process, after all his name is on his ukes and it does make sense that all his ukes will be around long after you and me are gone...I guess
he wants to be known for his outstanding ukuleles in sound and looks....nothing wrong with that to keep the quality standard he sets for every ukulele to keep the good name and reputation
far in the future....why would he build production ukes and sell them more is my question, they may be far more less elaborate models ....I would like to believe he has enjoyment building the
best of the best ukuleles... would you settle for less....I think not.... you are a lawyer, would you take the lesser cases or the ones that mean more to you and make a difference?
I can understand your and others fustrations, but he cannot please all.....I am sure he tries to make the list process as fair as he can...like adding a program to cut out all the deleted
automatic callers....if he did not do that I would never had a chance at my milo/ spruce ukes... how would you randomly draw from a list, and isn't it the idea to build for a specific customer
alot better because you will get what you dreamed of and not just a one fits all producton ukulele.... Just my two cents:o

Stevelele
04-20-2013, 03:39 AM
i totally agree--I was actually trying to support what sounded like his decision to stop doing customer-dictated customs.

I'm not on the list, but I already have a tenor he built for me. it is great

Hey bruddah Steve..

I think Chuck should do whatever he wants to do..i am guessing you not on the list...Lol

mm stan
04-20-2013, 03:49 AM
Aloha Bruddah Steve,
Glad to hear back from you....I heard Chuckie has been overwhelmed with requests lately and closed his list again....I hope you do get one from him soon....I recently got my two
and I believe he is at his finest building time now as he has honed his skills beyond imaginable, because both of my new aquirements sound amazing....every time I pick up his ukes
I cannot put it down and cannot resist grabbing it.... are you on his list for one now..and get one built custom for you because not only it will sound and look great, but fit perfectly
like a glove in your hands...which are the 3 factors I look for in a uke...sound, looks and feel good and a balance tone... oh yes Steve I believe a lottery may not be as fair and
buyer who may have gotten a uke earlier may get lucky and get one right afterwards...:)

Eyeguy
04-20-2013, 04:06 AM
Maybe a dumb question here, but I went to his website where he discusses the possible routes to purchasing one of his ukes. Apparently, he makes some ukes that he simply puts up on his website for folks to buy. If that is in fact true, how do folks manage to acquire one of those randomly posted ukes - do they just have to be lucky enough to be checking the site when he lists a new one for sale, or is there more to it than that?

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Maybe a dumb question here, but I went to his website where he discusses the possible routes to purchasing one of his ukes. Apparently, he makes some ukes that he simply puts up on his website for folks to buy. If that is in fact true, how do folks manage to acquire one of those randomly posted ukes - do they just have to be lucky enough to be checking the site when he lists a new one for sale, or is there more to it than that?

It's as simple as getting lucky

dkcrown
04-20-2013, 05:58 AM
It's as simple as getting lucky

And being persistent! Right Daniel! Gotta be both.

mketom
04-20-2013, 06:22 AM

Exactly! I got lucky twice, but persistance is more a factor than luck. "Good things come to those who wait..."

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 06:56 AM

I wasn't persistent? I only tried for every spec uke for the last 2 years!! LOL

mketom
04-20-2013, 07:20 AM
I wasn't persistent? I only tried for every spec uke for the last 2 years!! LOL

Yes you were, and you were rewarded with one of the nicest MB ukuleles ever... :)

hawaii 50
04-20-2013, 07:25 AM
hey stan--thanks for writing. i'm not sure that we disagree. there's nothing like a chuck custom uke and customers who get a uke built to their specs are always thrilled. I would not, however, classify anything that chuck makes as a production uke. everything that's come out of his shop whether there's customer input or not, is a special one of a kind uke and not a production uke. I also agree that he is at his best when he's in complete control. I believe that some of his hula series were things that came from his own imagination. the point I was making is that if he decides to stop doing customs that are dictated by customer requests, that totally makes sense--I said this in response to another person saying that he heard chuck was going to stop taking custom orders altogether once he gets through his current list--I think he has suggested that he may do this in the past already, so it sounds like a credible rumor. Of course I would love to have chuck make me a custom, but I would also be thrilled to have him make me whatever he wants to make, too. Anyhow, I'm not actually frustrated at all as you noted, and don't think he's doing anything unfair. Just throwing out some ideas--of course he should decide what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. I happen to think a lottery system would be fun. He could let us all know that something is coming up, and he could do a drawing to see who has to chance to buy it. That's not a request for more fairness--it's a suggestion that I would find exciting.

Hey Steve I think you a little off base again>>>haha

if you saw Chuck's post on the Luthiers Lounge building ukuleles still a business for him and he still loves what he is doing,,building beautiful sounding/and looking ukuleles..but sometimes he can not understand how people think ..being a great luthier not all fun and games..

and this not a side show for him..making a lottery and putting names in a hat is something you do at a kid's birthday party..LOL

we agree on almost everything on the UU but this one,,a little bit strange ..Haha

only my 2 cents only

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Steve

I understand what you mean.

For others, look at it this way. There are hundreds that want a uke from Chuck, which means there are many that reqeust, beg, cry, bribe, get their friends, relatives, and who know what other means to try to get on Chuck's waitlist...I've tried...He probably gets 40 to 60 emails a day and this also includes people who have questions about builds. I have never sent an email that hasn't been answered by Chuck...he is so sincere with his response.

Now for those reading this, have you sent an email before? If you have, have you sent more than one? Did Chuck reply and did he make you feel like a friend? I'm sure most if not all will say YES. Chuck is human and it get's tiring and hard to say no to people who really want your work.

He's consumed in trying to build the best for YOU and then there's the other issue of luthier's copying his work...tough.

If you were Chuck, would you be happier just doing your own spec ukes or doing custom work?

How many emails does it take to do custom work and how much time away from actually builiding a uke? If you were really a friend and wanted todo what's best for Chuck, you'll just get one of his spec jobs...of course that would never happen since you spent so much time getting on the list and been waiting. We all selfish.

Don't get caught up in the "Lottery Idea" as that's more of getting rid of the complete waitlist and allowing Chuck to do one or two customs a year but think about how much more joy Chuck would have if he could build his own ukes...I would be just as happy getting a spec from Chuck.

Sorry Coolcow for diverting the thread but it already has and you get more bumps!!! Hope you get lucky and stay persistent.

coolcow
04-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Sorry Coolcow for diverting the thread but it already has and you get more bumps!!! Hope you get lucky and stay persistent.

I'm going to let fate to decide if i'll ever be getting on Chunk's list, but i'll stay persistent to get his spec ones.

Stevelele
04-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Best of luck to you Jen, along with everyone else on this very worthwhile goal. Believe the hype!

I'm going to let fate to decide if i'll ever be getting on Chunk's list, but i'll stay persistent to get his spec ones.

mm stan
04-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Aloha Jen,
Never give up girl...it's a worthwhile goal....I am sure you will get one someday...be patient and persistant there must be someone out there that will give you a break and deal... :)
Good Luck Girl, in the meantime, have fun with your other awsome beauties...happy Strummings

hawaii 50
04-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Jen..

keep your fingers crossed..you never know..it could happen
keep on strumming

David Hirsch
04-21-2013, 02:13 AM
I just started playing uke. I have a been a classical guitar player for some time now. I have been wanting a particular luthier (10 year wait list) built classical for several years now. One owner had one of these maker's guitars and put it up for purchase but later decided to remove the item from sale. Recently he put the instrument up for sale (about 1/2 the price of a new one) and much lower than any prior sales, I happened to notice the ad just after it been put up. It was quite a bit of money but I jumped on it immediately!
I guess it is patience, luck, and quick action.

Good luck!

coolcow
05-18-2013, 09:26 PM
still hoping :)

hawaii 50
05-18-2013, 09:45 PM
I am hoping for you too..
keep your fingers crossed..you never know..

mm stan
05-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Aloha Jen,
I have my fingers crossed for you too....and on both hands .....:)

hawaii 50
05-19-2013, 04:51 AM
I have my eyes crossed too...
good luck..

Dan Uke
05-19-2013, 05:00 AM
My chopsticks are crossed too

coolcow
05-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Aloha Jen,
I have my fingers crossed for you too....and on both hands .....:)

I have my eyes crossed too...
good luck..

My chopsticks are crossed too

hahahaha ;) Thanks guys, you are the best!!

consitter
05-20-2013, 01:18 AM
My legs are crossed....

but I do have to pee.