Any Back story on the Kala KA-SMHGCE-C Solid Mahogany Concert?

allanr

Reaction score
These ukes, the Kala KA-SMHGCE-C All Solid Mahogany Concert Cutaway with Pickup, are on sale on Amazon for as little as $179 w/o case and $199 with case.

That seems like a pretty great deal for an all solid Kala with active electronics! I haven't been on the boards in a while, and I'm just wondering if anybody has mentioned these here yet? Any recalls, or concerns ever been mentioned? Or should I grab one of these while I can :drool:

http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-SMHGCE-C-Mahogany-Concert-Cutaway/dp/B00ANSFVI0

LOL!

I couldn't wait. I sure hope there isn't a "horror" back story because I just bought one on eBay. I couldn't buy from Amazon because the Amazon sellers would not ship to Canada.

I'm guessing that the reason these are on sale at such a steep discount is a labellung discrepency. They are satin finished, but the Kala label says they should be gloss.

KA-SMHGCE-C

KA = Kala
SM = Solid Mahogany
H = ?
G = Gloss
C = Concert
E = Electric
-C = Cutaway

Similar to this http://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-smhce-c-solid-wood-concert-cutaway-electric.html
But with the newer electronics that have a built-in tuner

New Uke Day coming soon!
Hopefully before I head out on my Great American Road Trip Adventure, as I want to take this uke along with me on my Great American Road Trip Adventure in two weeks! (Flying from Toronto to New Orleans with my wife and two other couples, then renting a van and driving up the Blues Highway to Chicago).

My guess is Smhg = Solid MaHoGany. Im pretty positive they have a satin finish.. I've been mulling over the idea of buying a tenor version. I had a baritone at one time. Didnt take to the baritone size but the uke seemed fine enough. Classic styling and solid woods at that price is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Good Luck!
here's one for $139...
http://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com...V25107_a_7c1460_a_7c10339_a_7cKA_d_SMHGCE_d_C

I just jumped on a KA-GAC solid acacia top, at about the same bargain price...not sure if I'm totally impressed! The sound isn't that much better than my old KA-CEM and the top seems wavy. Other than that the build quality is better, but I'm wondering if there were problems from some fsctory and they were having bad results and put them on closeout!

I'm kind of thinking if it's deeply discounted there must be a reason. :-(

Last edited:
I just jumped on a KA-GAC solid acacia top, at about the same bargain price...not sure if I'm totally impressed! The sound isn't that much better than my old KA-CEM and the top seems wavy. Other than that the build quality is better, but I'm wondering if there were problems from some factory and they were having bad results and put them on closeout!

I'm kind of thinking if it's deeply discounted there must be a reason. :-(

I have the Kala GAT (also purchased on a similar discount) and have spent a fair amount of time with the CEM and I was actually pretty impressed with the CEM. Different sort of tone, "perkier" than the golden acacia. All laminate if I remember right, but I felt like it overall held its own quite fairly against the golden acacia (laminate sides/ solid top). That said, I'm still very happy with my GAT and I do think, to my ears and preferences at least, that it's the better uke.

Haven't had the chance to compare it against the solid mahogany however :(

Last edited:
Shooooot!!!

I volunteered to work late today... and my new Kala concert cutaway arrived in the mail today. In a box. At home. And I am still here at work :mad:

Well I'm on. eBay $179. No case, but the one on Amazon comes with a soft shell and I'd rather get a hard shell later.

Top Bottom