NUD! and it's a keeper :)

Loudster

Reaction score
This actually arrived in the mail yesterday, but... was "intercepted" by the front office of my apartment complex when they delivered it. Thankfully so because I didn't want it sitting on my front porch all afternoon :). But that also meant that since I didn't get home until after the office closed last night I had to wait until this afternoon to finally see it. All last night I just had to be tortured, knowing it was only a minute away...

And here it now, my new Kala Marcy Marxer!

d53666b1-d0b8-4ad9-b051-eb18c8a1eb54.jpg

Solid Acacia sides and back, spruce top, cutaway

3fbee873-ae6e-4b93-8f5f-69219dd8228c.jpg

f5a7ea03-01e1-4a1d-b87a-8dc5baba9694.jpg

And now to show off a some of the fancy bits :eek:

Slotted headstock, a first for me
f46b202b-e8ae-4696-9875-940d71ee9553.jpg

little herringbone emblishments all around the binding and soundhole. This is my first "fancy" instrument I've ever owned actually (well, actually the applause is kinda fancy, but other than that...). All my other ukes and guitars are plain, very woody, matte finished instruments. Beautiful in a modest sort of way, but this is just downright fancy in comparison :)

A03577B7-9059-43B0-B9A4-F3AC3E6D2775-13145-00000A9648A78BDA.jpg

Last edited:
Snowflake inlays, admittedly not *quite* my style (seems a little girly :p) but they're growing on me. Plus, anybody makes any jokes about them being girly and I'll just punch 'em in the face and prove my manhood, so I've already figured out a plan to deal with it should it ever come up :rolleyes:

DEA3F653-60EC-4EC4-86ED-F25E39009B6A-13145-00000A967726D3F4.jpg

Ebony nut and saddle
81333BA7-2368-4665-A608-E5D18607A4D4-13145-00000A99C27951E8.jpg

It's undeniably pretty, and a definite step up tonally from my other Kala. It feels to me like it has a very rounded out sound with a bit of a bite to it. This uke has a depth that frankly makes my other Kala sound almost two-dimensional by comparison. I had it strung low-G and we'll see if I decide to keep it strung low or switch it to high. Beautiful uke, very excited and wanted to share with you all. I haven't actually seen too many of these on here. I had it down to either this or an Ohana Tk-35 and just felt like this was the one. I'm hoping this will be more uke than I need for a while with room to grow into it.

I haven't learned any specifically uke songs in low-G as of yet, but I did play Cannonball by Damian rice earlier (which is capoed higher up on guitar into natural uke territory) and it actually sounded pretty decent. Can't wait to see how it opens to me with time.

Next up I'll need to "thin the herd" and sell my applause UAE20. Anyone interested, PM me ;) Otherwise I'll post an ad when I get the time.

Last edited:
Congrats, she's a beauty. I really like the way they used the herringbone without any purfling between it and the spruce top. It almost looks melts into the top.

That herringbone is so nice, but very subtle. I'm not a bling person at all, but for some reason I am really attracted to that style of purfling. I've almost bought a Kala acacia uke a few times because of it. It is probably just a matter of time.

Lovely! I like everything about it! Congratulations!
Me too! ...except maybe the snowflakes ;P but honestly I do actually like them.

Wow! that one sure is a keeper!
I sure think so :) I know that everyone says this, but this is my last one for a long while :) and I think it's just right for where I'm at and where I want to be.

It looks good!!!! How's the action on it?

Good, no complaints at all. I bought from a seller that does set-ups for that very reason and I think it was well done. I'm a natural-born tinkerer however so I'm sure that at some point down the road I'll feel the need do some more invasive adjustments on it like switch out the saddle for bone maybe. At that point I'll be forced to reassess the action. As it is though, it's good. First however, I'll be looking at adding some strap buttons. :)

That herringbone is so nice, but very subtle. I'm not a bling person at all, but for some reason I am really attracted to that style of purfling. I've almost bought a Kala acacia uke a few times because of it. It is probably just a matter of time.

I've always gravitated towards bling-free instruments as well, but this one did appeal to me (which surprised me since I haven't been a fan of gloss before either). Aside from the fretmarkers there're no "shiny"/blingy type accents to it. The purfling is a lot more subtle than say mother of pearl. I think in that regard we must have similar tastes. More modest instruments reflect my personality as a musician, not flashy and not necessarily pushing to be the center of attention. I feel like wood is really pretty by itself and other "fancy bits" can sometimes detract from that. As a <1 day owner, I'm happy with it and I really like the tone in the acacia/spruce combo. I'm excited to see how it will grow with time.

Last edited:
Make sure you punch them hard :) very nice uke congratulations.

Congrats Loudster,
It looks awesome man....wow have fun and enjoy....happy Strummings and thank you for sharing...what model is that one?

Top Bottom