New ukulele player. . .

GotUke?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just recently ordered a Kala Tenor Ukulele. In my city no one teaches ukulele so I plan to teach myself.
I was just wondering if there are any books I should buy that would help me or anything else.

Thanks guys for your help!

Hi everyone, I just recently ordered a Kala Tenor Ukulele. In my city no one teaches ukulele so I plan to teach myself.
I was just wondering if there are any books I should buy that would help me or anything else.

i didnt use books to get started all i need is youtube, the online ukulele tuner, a online uke chord chart, and tropicalstormhawaii.com and the rest by ear (the rest= strum patterns, uke techniques)

^ and aldrine to learn the songs.

Do you have any guitar experience? if so go to iamhawaii.com and Aldrine has a bunch on great lessons of different songs and some quick-tips on various techniques. If you are completely new to the ukulele learn some chords online and just play for hours until you get a good feel for it.

I got a book called "How to play the ukulele" Included dc by Larry McCabe

It helped out a bit but deff. check out youtube and aldrine vids. also guitar expirience helps.

Howlie Boy

Thanks all the input guys I know this will all help me!
With strumming technique will those videos help me with that and/or
will I just get the hang of strumming patterns and technique when I play
and listen to the music I am trying to learn?

i didnt use books to get started all i need is youtube, the online ukulele tuner, a online uke chord chart, and tropicalstormhawaii.com and the rest by ear (the rest= strum patterns, uke techniques)

yup same way i learned too!

I went to tropicalstormhawaii.com and i went to the chords section and just looked up the chords and just did a basic strum. Down Down Up Up Down

When I first started out learning 2 years ago, I got the book called "Ukulele method book 1" it is taught by Lil Rev, and put out by Hal Lennard.

I did learn alot about picking from it, and some about strumming, but as I got a little better, I got board with it, because it didn't have any Hawaiian ( local kine ) music. The majority of the stuff in it was nursurey rhyms, and songs that were popular from the late 1800's-1950's.

I would also suggest www.tropicalstormhawaii.com
Also check out Aldrines lessons, quick tips, and Uke minutes, on this site, and on iamhawaii.com

Once you get better and want to start learning harder songs, also go check out Dom's site at dominator.ukeland.com ( I think that that is the right address ).

You can check out you tube too, but I found that when I was starting out, I just got frustrated by watching people do things that I wasn't ready to do yet. I would wait on that untill you have a little bit more skill.

But each player is unique, and what works for me, may not for you, so find what works for you and then play what kinda stuff you like.
Hope all of this stuff helps.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

There are so many resources available for new ukulele players these days.

Youtube of course
Aldrine's lessons on here and iamhawaii.com
Dominator's uke tabs
ukuleleunderground :)
use tropicalstormhawaii as a reference, but be sure about the songs because TONS of the submissions on there have wrong chords/tabs.

I personally started out listening to some hawaiian artists right away and trying to imitate and play along with them. Check out the krater boys, IZ, and pure heart(jake shimabukuro's old group) just to name a few. I think you'll really enjoy discovering all the uke stuff out there. :D

Once you get pretty good at strumming and chord shapes, practice the uke tabs. Work your way up to playing some Jake tunes!

I have heard of that.
I am of French Canadian heritage, so I have family in Canada ( not that I have ever met them though )
Is that near Shurbrook ( don't know if I spelled it right)?
That is where my great Grandmother lived before she came over to the states.

Aloha
Acabo'oe

Probably not many ukulele players up in Edmonton huh. It is up to you to change that man!! At any rate, I like most started learning by ear and from youtube. There are plenty of tab sites and places to go for help learning. The reason I would start this way is because the books will teach you basic stuff on boring songs. Nobody wants to play the nursery rhyme stuff. Find some easier "cool" songs and just practice. You're more inclined to make those fingers sore (and get those calluses) by playing what you like. After you get better....then pick up a few book to take you to the next level. To teach you some of the stuff you see but no one explains. I would recommend "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" off amazon.com. It shows you how to really dance around the board and spread your wings. Good luck putting Alberta on the map braddah.

I have heard of that.
I am of French Canadian heritage, so I have family in Canada ( not that I have ever met them though )
Is that near Shurbrook ( don't know if I spelled it right)?
That is where my great Grandmother lived before she came over to the states.

Aloha
Acabo'oe

Actually Edmonton is in Alberta which is in another province on the west side of country.

Probably not many ukulele players up in Edmonton huh. It is up to you to change that man!! At any rate, I like most started learning by ear and from youtube. There are plenty of tab sites and places to go for help learning. The reason I would start this way is because the books will teach you basic stuff on boring songs. Nobody wants to play the nursery rhyme stuff. Find some easier "cool" songs and just practice. You're more inclined to make those fingers sore (and get those calluses) by playing what you like. After you get better....then pick up a few book to take you to the next level. To teach you some of the stuff you see but no one explains. I would recommend "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" off amazon.com. It shows you how to really dance around the board and spread your wings. Good luck putting Alberta on the map braddah.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I doubt there are no more than like 20 players in Edmonton probably even none.
But hopefully I can get others interested.
My friend used to play, so hopefully maybe I can
get him back into it.

You also could look for some guitar teachers. If its a good teach it shouldn't be a problem for him/here. He/She could teach you picking, strumming patterns and techniques, how to read tabs and so on.

If theres anything specific you want to learn you can always email us, ukuleleunderground(at)gmail(dot)com with suggestions. Our goal is to grow the next group of ukulele players throughout the world, so if you need help with anything we'll try to help.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I doubt there are no more than like 20 players in Edmonton probably even none.
But hopefully I can get others interested.
My friend used to play, so hopefully maybe I can
get him back into it.

Must be more then that as I see there are a few shops now stocking them Giovanni has fenders and another shop on Whyte has ponos. Any way at the least I make 21 players heheh. Can't find any fleas or flukes here tho. Mind you when I called Axe music and asked if they had any fender ukes he didn'y seem to know they even made them.

Top Bottom