Hi G or Low G ?

Hi G or Low G?

• Total voters

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just a little poll to see who plays what type of tuning. I set it up so you can vote multiple times.

Personally I strum Hi G pretty much exclusively, mainly pick Hi G but do have my Tenor as Low G when I want the range.

How about you?

(for those of you that use different tuning, transpose!)

Last edited:
High G for the Win! :cool:

If I want a deeper sound, I play my harp ukulele with its bass strings. ;)

Pardon the newb question, but when you say "Pick" are you referring to "using a pick" or "fingerstyle picking"? Thanks UU for being my crash course in uke!

The poll only let me respond once - I guess I misunderstood and should have marked my three choices all at once.

I *never* use low G for strumming - I really dislike the sound, especially in a group of mainly reentrant ukes.

I use both reentrant and low G for fingerpicking - low G mainly for countermelody playing with others, although I do play a few solo low G arrangements as well.

... I really dislike the sound, especially in a group of mainly reentrant ukes....

I put low G on my first uke, a tenor. I loved the rich sound but switched back cos it sounded weird in my group and the teacher didn't like it. If doing more picking, I'd definitely go with low G because it gives more options IMHO.

Low G is for bottom feeders and hobos.

To me...

High G sounds like an Ukulele.
Low G sounds like a little guitar.

Option E. All of the above.

All of my ukes are re-entrant.

On the Barry Tone that I just bought I'll put low G and never look back. Oh and I'm giving the Soprano with re-entrant away to a wounded warrior musical group.

I keep all my tenor low g and all my concert high g

High G first if tenor sized...then low g on the second one...
High G on smaller ones
Baritone Nuff said

Tea/Coffe....Coke/Pepsi....Horses for courses.

Ditto. I never understand the vehement response against low g tuning. Admittedly, I have succumbed to the dark side and play primarily low g. But I don't hold anyone's high g tuning against them or consider it inferior -- just different. To the contrary, it appears low g tuning is often considered the work of the devil, not just another preference. You have many pros on either side: high g (Jake, Aldrine), and low g (Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta Jr., Brittni Paiva). Some manufacturers and luthiers also seem to prefer high g and others prefer low g. Both are good, just different strokes for different folks.

I have always wondered on the reasons folks tune ukes low G, until...

I got my latest uke. It came strung Low G and sounded so darn amazing. The more I play it the more I like it. So yeah, I guess I'm with Staci and Ahnko and the rest...whatever works on a specific uke or song. Don't close your mind to anything, let the song and the uke dictate to you the tuning you need.

Just a little poll to see who plays what type of tuning. I set it up so you can vote multiple times.

Personally I strum Hi G pretty much exclusively, mainly pick Hi G but do have my Tenor as Low G when I want the range.

How about you?
Aloha Jim I am like you....but now I do use altered tunings on my lo G....to compensate.... he he guess I am a hi g kind of guy... :)

If Low G is for bottom feeders and hobos, I wonder why the first song played from Hawai'i to the mainland over a radio broadcast in 1939 was a song which still requires a low G? I would have thought they would have picked something which really showcased the music of the islands. They must have been mistaken in their choice.

Top Bottom