Forum friends

Spud1$

Reaction score
I just want to say I LOVE this forum. Everyone is so helpful and never belittling. I have gotten so much information in 2 months. I don't know any ukulele players in my area but its like having new friends. I asked a local guitar teacher if he would consider Ukulele lessons and he laughed at me and called my instrument a toy. I felt very sad, then I came home and read some integrating threads and felt much better! Thank you

that is the sad difference between Uke players and some guitar players (I know some of you play that weird over sized 6 string uke from time to time), but there are those that call it a toy. to bad, their loss really.
Make sure to check out the regional get togethers section.
You could also make a ukulele meet-up in your area.

That is the difference between a musician and an instrument player. A musician knows that music can come from anywhere. An instrument player is focused on themself and all else is just for backup

I agree with you, this forum sure is great. I tried joining a cello forum and since I'm still a beginner, they were not too friendly LOL

Hah, their loss if they view at as a toy. I actually like that people don't take it seriously, makes it that much more fun when they're surprised.

Gulf coast Fl huh? Tampa area?

No Cedar Key north of Tampa about 2 1/2 hours . A little island

Nice, well, I wouldn't count as a uke player in your area then. I'm a little ways south of tampa in Bradenton/Sarasota area. There's a decent number up in Tampa though and there's like a tampa bay ukulele society conference in the fall (I believe, I've never been though). That's pretty much the extent of what I know about local uke stuff though.

I did check out a list of Uke groups but they are pretty far away, I'm just a beginner and I would probably be to self conscious to go to a group any how. I'm just happy to have this forum, it gives me hope for my future ukulele playing!!

I did check out a list of Uke groups but they are pretty far away, I'm just a beginner and I would probably be to self conscious to go to a group any how. I'm just happy to have this forum, it gives me hope for my future ukulele playing!!

Don't be too self conscious. I was. If I would've went to meet ups I'd have learned much more, much faster. Uke peeps are always willing to help the newbies. Am I right???

Spud1$, do you have any friends that play other instruments? If you learn C, F, G, and G7 then you have the basis for most early rock and country songs. Get together with someone and play Jambalaya over and over.

Don't be too self conscious. I was. If I would've went to meet ups I'd have learned much more, much faster. Uke peeps are always willing to help the newbies. Am I right???

Speaking as a noob, yes, you are right. Ukulele players seem to be inspired by the character of their instruments: open, cheerful, somewhat eager, and helpful.

I just want to say I LOVE this forum. Everyone is so helpful and never belittling. I have gotten so much information in 2 months. I don't know any ukulele players in my area but its like having new friends. I asked a local guitar teacher if he would consider Ukulele lessons and he laughed at me and called my instrument a toy. I felt very sad, then I came home and read some integrating threads and felt much better! Thank you

As a guitar player as well, I want to be clear this is not a "guitar player" thing. This is an "idiot" thing. :) As in, what kind of idiot criticizes another musician's instrument? And for that matter, what kind of music teacher, who presumably is a for-profit enterprise, turns away a willing student?

I hear that Rich M he gets $30 for a half hour, it probably worked out for the best, saved me 30 bucks at least!! Lol

As a guitar player as well, I want to be clear this is not a "guitar player" thing. This is an "idiot" thing. :) As in, what kind of idiot criticizes another musician's instrument? And for that matter, what kind of music teacher, who presumably is a for-profit enterprise, turns away a willing student?

Exactly. Snobbery serves no one. Definitely show up to a group. We have beginners all the time!

I remember the first time I went to ukulele club. I'd been playing about 6 months. I took lessons, but had never played with anyone else. The first meeting was wonderful. I sucked as a player, but just to be with other ukulele players was awesome.

I remember the first time I went to ukulele club. I'd been playing about 6 months. I took lessons, but had never played with anyone else. The first meeting was wonderful. I sucked as a player, but just to be with other ukulele players was awesome.

........+1

Let's face it, we all play and a love an instrument that to most people is a "funny" sort of instrument. It's the instrument of Arthur Godfrey and Tiny Tim, and is considered comic to the unsophisticated heathens that fail to realize that the ukulele has a noble history and is truly the "Thinking Man's Violin" *

People that choose to play it tend to be non-uptight, comfortable with themselves and others, and are willing to walk the different path. These are folks without domineering egos, that are willing to help others, share their knowledge, and truly enjoy their hobby.

Back in the sixties, there was study about how Volkswagen Beetle owners were a certain personality-type. I think ukulelaliens are like that.

*Herschel Krustofski

Open, cheerful, somewhat eager, and helpful.

I *love* this description of ukulele folks!!! While it sounds somewhat like summary of a golden retriever ;) it really describes what I've found in the uke world--and what I try to reflect.

Top Bottom