Kala Solid Mahogany Concert with EQ/PU at amazing price

allanr

Reaction score
I have no connection with this vendor, someone else on UU directed me to this sale in another thread. Just an interesting "FYI"

Kala KA-SMHGCE Solid Mahogany Series Cutaway $139 shipped in USA

The title calls it a "soprano" but the description and model number are for a concert. I don't know if there is any "story" behind these, but IMHO anyone looking for a solid wood, name brand uke as a beginner, second, or travel uke, would be hard pressed to ever find another deal like this! Especially one with built-in elctronics.

how does yours play/sound

I see in your signature you own one as well, or at least one very similar. Assuming Riff City Guitar is drop shipping these and is not setting them up, so how did yours play and did you get it set up. I agree, this is a surprisingly low price for a solid uke, and it has electronics and a cutaway to boot.
Thanks,
Joe

I see in your signature you own one as well, or at least one very similar. Assuming Riff City Guitar is drop shipping these and is not setting them up, so how did yours play and did you get it set up. I agree, this is a surprisingly low price for a solid uke, and it has electronics and a cutaway to boot.
Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

I bought mine on eBay before seeing this ad. It has not yet arrived though. So I own it, but I don't yet have it.

I hope it's ok that I'm bumping this!

I've been playing my Uke (a cheapo concert Makala I think) for about a year and have been trolling the board for ideas for a second uke.

This deal looks really great to my newbish eyes. Can anybody else comment on the quality of the instrument and the value of the discount?

My gut is telling me to BUY BUY BUY and I'm trying to be a savvy shopper over here.

Also: does the addition of the pickup change the acoustic sound of the instrument at all?

Last edited:
Whoa, I just bought the tenor version of this for $159. Good price on this concert. If I didn't already have a mahogany concert with a pickup, I'd have to have it. I almost pulled the trigger on this one for $100 more when my Pono turned up at a price too good to pass with the Ko'olau case. Wow, a tenor! I"d have never believed it could sell for $20 bucks less than mine. Mine came with a good setup from the factory. Intonation good, action decently low, fret ends smooth, flawless finish, etc. It has the typical under saddle pickup "thump" that can be nearly eliminated with proper amp adjustments. It has a clean, clear sound with Aquilas which I will change soon to Hilo low g's. This is an even bigger "steal" than I thought.

Last edited:
Wow, I paid a heck of a lot more than that for mine...but then again, it included frieght and setup...this is a steal...

Mine still hasn't arrived, it is now in Canada, only a few miles from me at a postal sorting station. Supposed to arrive at my house on Friday. For sure, I'll post something about it on Saturday. I'm really please at getting mine for only $189 plus shipping. $139 seems almost "free"!

Well, I equivocated for too long and now they're out of stock.

On to the next hunt!

How are the electronics in these?

It was real:)

Hi folks- I saw the thread on this and thought I would put the mystery to bed. I own Riff City Guitar. It was a closeout that we had- and yes, we did have it described incorrectly- it was a tenor. Also, we DO setup any guitar/ukes we sell. We are not a drop shipper- we have a store/warehouse in Minnesota and ship all over the country as well.

I am happy that you have found us- but I don't want to overstep my bounds and use the forum as a sales venue- I respect the purpose of these valuable "boards," so I will stop there!

Joe

I think I would've pulled the trigger and bought one, but I guess they're gone. Peace out.

Joining a ukulele club

Hi I am new ukulele player. Thinking of joining a club to learn and also to play together. Kindly please advise what should I do and where can I join. Thank you.

Top Bottom