Ukulele songs on Guitalele

aloha,
hawaiian style, high g, ukulele is the same as a guitar capoed at the fifth fret, except for the high G instead of a low g.
guitalele, by yamaha, is tuned as if you capoed a guitar at the fifth fret; a-d-g-C-E-A low to high. top three strings of the ukulele and guitalele are tuned the same.
ukulele & guitalele require no transposing of song sheets. guitar and ukulele are separated by a fourth.
hope this helps.

mahalo nui,

Welcome to UU, element119!

First of all, I don't believe there is any such thing as "ukulele songs" unless you are referring to the album by Eddie Vedder of the same name.

Songs are songs, and you can pretty much play them on any instrument. A C chord is a C chord no matter what you play it on, it may just be fingered differently.

I have a guitalele, it's a great little instrument, very well made at its price point. It's not a uke and it's not quite a guitar, at least in size. To me the fingerboard is a bit cramped but it's a lot of fun.

If you want a uke, get a uke. If you want a guitar, get a guitar. If you want something inbetween, well, the guitalele kind of fits the bill. But I wouldn't get one over a uke OR a guitar if you're just starting out.

Even though a guitarlele has the same top four strings as a tenor or concert ukulele, there are still the two additional strings to figure out what to do with, so the chord shapes don't translate identically, unless you don't play the two bottom strings of a guitarlele, in which case, why are you bothering? I'm learning to play guitar and while the chord chapes are similar, although in a different key (as is true for baritone ukuleles), I'm still struggling to learn those chord shapes that include the two bottom strings.

Don't get me wrong. I have a requinto, which is like a guitarlele except it's tuned like a guitar -- e a d g b e -- and it's fun to play, but it's basically played like a guitar with a more ukulele-like voice due to the shorter scale and smaller body.

Last edited:
I have been told that you may tune a guitalele like a regular guitar, IF you can find some extra heavy tension classical guitar strings.
The guitalele is cool, but personally, I find the ukulele to be more versatile...but that may also be because I do not play six strings very well.

Top Bottom