Black nylon strings

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for some black nylon strings for tenor I was looking at the D'addario j45's but the c string is wound and I don't want that do they have black unwound c string ones?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nylon stretches and fluorocarbon does not (or at least allot less) so they produce a different sound, they (fluoro) also last longer in my experience. I prefer fluorocarbon for my solid wood ukuleles but also like the Aquilas for laminate tops. To me fluorocarbon strings have a cleaner crisper sound though some prefer the sound of nylon too so to each their own. Fluorocarbon costs a little more but to me worth the price.

What exactly is the difference?

I just read an article about ukulele strings that said that the fluorocarbon is denser and tend to be a slighter smaller gauge than the nylon due to it's density. I like the Fremont Blackline fluorocarbons but have most of my ukes strung with Worth Medium Browns (also fluorocarbon). I too think the fluorocarbons have a cleaner, crisper sound than most nylons I've tried.

GHS makes nice black nylon strings, too. (I'm not sure if they use a wound 3rd for the 3rd string for tenor scale, though. Certainly not for soprano and concert scale.)

As for differences between nylon and fluorocarbon strings: To my fingers, nylon strings tend to feel a little thicker and softer while fluorocarbon strings tend to have more tension and response. To my ears---nylon stings tend to have more depth and mellowness while fluorocarbon strings tend to sound brighter and to have more volume and sustain.

Personally, I prefer nylon strings.

As for differences between nylon and fluorocarbon strings: To my fingers, nylon strings tend to feel a little thicker and softer while fluorocarbon strings tend to have more tension and response. To my ears---nylon stings tend to have more depth and mellowness while fluorocarbon strings tend to sound brighter and to have more volume and sustain.

When sliding between frets (smooth cord changes or sliding a scale) is there much difference between how nylon and fluorocarbon sound on the same instrument? (sorry for hijacking the thread).

I've been looking a bit at this "pink" fluorocarbon leader which might make some good uke strings:

http://www.tightlinestackle.com/med...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/o/yozfc_2.gif

Just out of curiosity :) why black?

[I happen to like the look of black strings, but I was wondering if it was the look, or the perceived tone, or looking for all unwound. Just curious.]

I watched the uke minutes on strings and it said in general the black ones have more of a darker sound. And I have clear nylon now and want to try something different

Hello, I'm looking for some black nylon strings for tenor I was looking at the D'addario j45's but the c string is wound and I don't want that do they have black unwound c string ones?

Thanks
Try the Hilo brand tenor set. Some prefer Nylon and others prefer fluoros and IMO, you gotta try em both. Each has a different characteristic as well as tone. Also take into consideration your instrument and how you play.

Top Bottom