PDA

View Full Version : My New Luis Feu de Mesquita uke

coolcow
04-17-2013, 10:05 PM
I received my LFdM this Monday morning yeaahhh!!!!! Now I finally got the time to post some pics up, hope you enjoy what you are seeing.
I started contacting Luis in Dec last year, and asked if he would build me a one-of-a-kind uke that he never experienced before, we clicked right away. Thru our email conversations, Luis suggested the wood combination to be ziricote/western red cedar and use snakewood for the bindings. I apparently saw one of Luis' guitar has a beveled arm rest, it looked awesome and i'm curious how it would look like on a uke, therefore I asked Luis to add the arm rest for me, also I asked Luis to use bars as the fret board markers.
The build started in Jan 2013, Luis has been updating me his progress once in awhile with pics, showing his delicate work of art. I'm very impressed that he kept things up on schedule.

This uke is a joy to play with, it sounds deep/full/warm/loud, and the intonation is perfect. The neck is smooth & fits my small hand perfectly. Overall the detailed craftsmanship is extraordinary.

I want to Thank You Luis for making this beauty happens.

quote from Luis "this one is my pride and joy"

specs:

Top: Western Red Cedar
Back and Sides: Zericote
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: Ebony w/ Snakewood decorated
Nut: Bone
Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Waverly
Notes: Fitted with Aquila Nylgut strings

hawaii 50
04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow very nice J.

what does the logo on the headstock mean..it is very nice..looks like your avatar too?
are you going to record yourself playing it?

coolcow
04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Forgot to mention I also love the details on the back of the neck, nicely done.

coolcow
04-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Wow very nice J.

what does the logo on the headstock mean..it is very nice..looks like your avatar too?
are you going to record yourself playing it?

Yes the logo is same as my avatar, it's a symbol of cow/bull/ox
hehe..i'm camera shy, I need to practice more before I can record anything.

hawaii 50
04-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I just wanted to see if I could get you on camera..haha

very nice ukulele..i really like the fretboard markers and the armrest..does it feel more comfortable?
and is this the only ukulele you going to have with the armrest..

the workmanship looks real nice

congrats on a beautiful uke

wmboy
04-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Congrats on getting such a fine uke. How's the arm rest like? Would also love to hear your view of the LFdM compared to Devine - both on my to get list.:D

coolcow
04-17-2013, 11:09 PM
At first I thought the arm rest only looks cool and serves little function on a uke, but i'm wrong, it feels more comfortable without the edges.
I suggest who's ordering a LFdM should consider getting a arm rest. I personally think the arm rest has no hindrance to tone, this beauty is loud.

fumanshu
04-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Woahhhhhhh.....!!!!!! It it simply wayyyyy too cool!!!!!!! Congrats on your new uke Jenny!!!!!!

So how do you like? How do you find the sound of it....From my experience, mine sound quite deep, big sounding, almost like a small flamenco guitar....

Hope you enjoy it and like it as much as I like mine since day 1......

If you ever want to sell it one day......think of me first!!!!! ahhahaaha!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke

gitarzan
04-18-2013, 03:38 AM
The build started in Jan 2014...

Wow, man. He has a time machine! ;)

coolcow
04-18-2013, 03:41 AM
Wow, man. He has a time machine! ;)

hahahaha LOL....sorry for my typo:D

mm stan
04-18-2013, 03:43 AM
Congrats Jen,
Way too cool girl....intresting on the heel and how it connects to the body....love all the accents on your uke...it is real beautiful...now I know what you
been up to.....hee hee Happy strummings..

coolcow
04-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Woahhhhhhh.....!!!!!! It it simply wayyyyy too cool!!!!!!! Congrats on your new uke Jenny!!!!!!

So how do you like? How do you find the sound of it....From my experience, mine sound quite deep, big sounding, almost like a small flamenco guitar....

Hope you enjoy it and like it as much as I like mine since day 1......

If you ever want to sell it one day......think of me first!!!!! ahhahaaha!!!!

Thanks Bao, you should order another LFdM from Luis, and record more soundclip for our pleasure hehe
the sounding is just like yours deep/full/warm/big sounding, and yes is more a guitar like sound

coolcow
04-18-2013, 03:48 AM
Congrats Jen,
Way too cool girl....intresting on the heel and how it connects to the body....love all the accents on your uke...it is real beautiful...now I know what you
been up to.....hee hee Happy strummings..

Thanks Stan, Luis really did a great job on this one. I love everything about it, the Look, the sounding and it even smells good ;)

oahugrl
04-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Is this a tenor? Absolutely stunning!

RichM
04-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Beautiful! Luis has done some gorgeous work over the years, but this may be his best uke yet. Just lovely!

Welcome to the LFdM club!

coolcow
04-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Is this a tenor? Absolutely stunning!

Yes it's a tenor

RichM
04-18-2013, 04:18 AM
At first I thought the arm rest only looks cool and serves little function on a uke, but i'm wrong, it feels more comfortable without the edges.
I suggest who's ordering a LFdM should consider getting a arm rest. I personally think the arm rest has no hindrance to tone, this beauty is loud.

I have a couple of guitars with the "Laskin armrest" (luthier Grit Laskin was really the one who pioneered the beveled armrest), and they really do make playing more comfortable. I haven't had a uke with one yet, but I'm intrigued...

bborzell
04-18-2013, 04:25 AM
Up until the last photo, I was getting the impression that this was a beautiful, albiet very expensive "air" uke.;)

coolcow
04-18-2013, 04:37 AM
I have a couple of guitars with the "Laskin armrest" (luthier Grit Laskin was really the one who pioneered the beveled armrest), and they really do make playing more comfortable. I haven't had a uke with one yet, but I'm intrigued...

some say a arm rest on uke would affect the volume abit, I think it's depends on which luthier has the magic hand to make it a more balance tone.

lowendrick
04-18-2013, 04:45 AM
exquisite craftsmanship. congratulations on your new instrument. would love to hear a sound file. that's quite a collection you have.

AKuker
04-18-2013, 06:00 AM
That is a beautiful uke! Its amazing the craftsmanship of these luthiers. Just beautiful.

Dan Uke
04-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Yeah a beauty, I also like the tweed case with his logo on it...nice touch. When I bought mine, there were no cases except for the hard foam so I bought a Reunion Blues one...I gotta find out the maker of the tweed in case I decide to go with the hard case. His uke bodies are larger than most, which adds to the fuller sound. I'm glad he's not trying to make a tradition Hawaiian uke but catering to a different niche. Enough room for everyone.

I would love to hear it next to your other high-end custom tenors!!

strumsilly
04-18-2013, 06:08 AM
some say a arm rest on uke would affect the volume abit, I think it's depends on which luthier has the magic hand to make it a more balance tone.

what a beauty! there is nothing more uncomfortable to me than a sharp edge. I've even sanded the top edge on my Lanikai SM-T it was so sharp. the closest thing I have to an armrest is my Septre. You'd think with those points it would be uncomfortable, but my arm fits right in there and it's beveled, actually quite comfy.
congrats.

NewKid
04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Magnificent! Luis is making one for me due in October for my 50th birthday. It's going to have my wife's name "Melisa" inlayed on the 12th fret.

fumanshu
04-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Believe me, with Luis everything is calculated and he would never make compromise for sound quality...everything is so thought and calculated with him!!!!!

Newportlocal
04-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Really nice! Congratulations!

Dan Uke
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
That Redwood one looks very nice as well!! I love cutaways and contrast bindings on the fretboard...that would be my next pick out of the four!!

Doc_J
04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
That Redwood one looks very nice as well!! I love cutaways and contrast bindings on the fretboard...that would be my next pick out of the four!!

That one has been spoken for. :D

fumanshu
04-19-2013, 03:26 AM
Thanks Bao, you should order another LFdM from Luis, and record more soundclip for our pleasure hehe
the sounding is just like yours deep/full/warm/big sounding, and yes is more a guitar like sound

Hahahahaaah! My next project with Luis is to sit down with him to design what would be the "perfect" concert size uke.........Luis doesn't have any concert size uke yet.....

Dan Uke
04-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Hahahahaaah! My next project with Luis is to sit down with him to design what would be the "perfect" concert size uke.........Luis doesn't have any concert size uke yet.....

His next new project is working on a baritone as a client that owns both this tenor and guitar wants a baritone. He'll be more like Eric Devine in terms of sizes offered and that size seems more up his alley.

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
That one has been spoken for. :D

Congrats Doc! The Englemann has been claimed by Bob Myers.