My New Luis Feu de Mesquita uke

coolcow

Reaction score
I received my LFdM this Monday morning yeaahhh!!!!! Now I finally got the time to post some pics up, hope you enjoy what you are seeing.
I started contacting Luis in Dec last year, and asked if he would build me a one-of-a-kind uke that he never experienced before, we clicked right away. Thru our email conversations, Luis suggested the wood combination to be ziricote/western red cedar and use snakewood for the bindings. I apparently saw one of Luis' guitar has a beveled arm rest, it looked awesome and i'm curious how it would look like on a uke, therefore I asked Luis to add the arm rest for me, also I asked Luis to use bars as the fret board markers.
The build started in Jan 2013, Luis has been updating me his progress once in awhile with pics, showing his delicate work of art. I'm very impressed that he kept things up on schedule.

This uke is a joy to play with, it sounds deep/full/warm/loud, and the intonation is perfect. The neck is smooth & fits my small hand perfectly. Overall the detailed craftsmanship is extraordinary.

I want to Thank You Luis for making this beauty happens.

quote from Luis "this one is my pride and joy"

specs:

Top: Western Red Cedar
Back and Sides: Zericote
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: Ebony w/ Snakewood decorated
Nut: Bone
Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Waverly
Notes: Fitted with Aquila Nylgut strings

IMG_1009.jpgIMG_1013.jpgIMG_1011.jpgIMG_1019.jpgIMG_0715.jpg

Last edited:
Wow very nice J.

what does the logo on the headstock mean..it is very nice..looks like your avatar too?
are you going to record yourself playing it?

Forgot to mention I also love the details on the back of the neck, nicely done.

IMG_0986.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1020.jpgIMG_1098.jpg

Wow very nice J.

what does the logo on the headstock mean..it is very nice..looks like your avatar too?
are you going to record yourself playing it?

Yes the logo is same as my avatar, it's a symbol of cow/bull/ox
hehe..i'm camera shy, I need to practice more before I can record anything.

I just wanted to see if I could get you on camera..haha

very nice ukulele..i really like the fretboard markers and the armrest..does it feel more comfortable?
and is this the only ukulele you going to have with the armrest..

the workmanship looks real nice

congrats on a beautiful uke

Congrats on getting such a fine uke. How's the arm rest like? Would also love to hear your view of the LFdM compared to Devine - both on my to get list.:D

At first I thought the arm rest only looks cool and serves little function on a uke, but i'm wrong, it feels more comfortable without the edges.
I suggest who's ordering a LFdM should consider getting a arm rest. I personally think the arm rest has no hindrance to tone, this beauty is loud.

Woahhhhhhh.....!!!!!! It it simply wayyyyy too cool!!!!!!! Congrats on your new uke Jenny!!!!!!

So how do you like? How do you find the sound of it....From my experience, mine sound quite deep, big sounding, almost like a small flamenco guitar....

Hope you enjoy it and like it as much as I like mine since day 1......

If you ever want to sell it one day......think of me first!!!!! ahhahaaha!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke

Congrats Jen,
Way too cool girl....intresting on the heel and how it connects to the body....love all the accents on your uke...it is real beautiful...now I know what you
been up to.....hee hee Happy strummings..

Woahhhhhhh.....!!!!!! It it simply wayyyyy too cool!!!!!!! Congrats on your new uke Jenny!!!!!!

So how do you like? How do you find the sound of it....From my experience, mine sound quite deep, big sounding, almost like a small flamenco guitar....

Hope you enjoy it and like it as much as I like mine since day 1......

If you ever want to sell it one day......think of me first!!!!! ahhahaaha!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke

Thanks Bao, you should order another LFdM from Luis, and record more soundclip for our pleasure hehe
the sounding is just like yours deep/full/warm/big sounding, and yes is more a guitar like sound

Congrats Jen,
Way too cool girl....intresting on the heel and how it connects to the body....love all the accents on your uke...it is real beautiful...now I know what you
been up to.....hee hee Happy strummings..

Thanks Stan, Luis really did a great job on this one. I love everything about it, the Look, the sounding and it even smells good ;)

Beautiful! Luis has done some gorgeous work over the years, but this may be his best uke yet. Just lovely!

Welcome to the LFdM club!

At first I thought the arm rest only looks cool and serves little function on a uke, but i'm wrong, it feels more comfortable without the edges.
I suggest who's ordering a LFdM should consider getting a arm rest. I personally think the arm rest has no hindrance to tone, this beauty is loud.

I have a couple of guitars with the "Laskin armrest" (luthier Grit Laskin was really the one who pioneered the beveled armrest), and they really do make playing more comfortable. I haven't had a uke with one yet, but I'm intrigued...

Up until the last photo, I was getting the impression that this was a beautiful, albiet very expensive "air" uke.;)

I have a couple of guitars with the "Laskin armrest" (luthier Grit Laskin was really the one who pioneered the beveled armrest), and they really do make playing more comfortable. I haven't had a uke with one yet, but I'm intrigued...

some say a arm rest on uke would affect the volume abit, I think it's depends on which luthier has the magic hand to make it a more balance tone.

Last edited:
exquisite craftsmanship. congratulations on your new instrument. would love to hear a sound file. that's quite a collection you have.

Top Bottom