Babinga and Ancient Spruce Tenor

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I've finished off 4 instruments in the last week, and all of them are quite different from the run of the mill offerings you get from the factory outlets.

This one is a commission to a returning client who likes the unusual. So here are the specs

Back and Sides - Babinga
Top - 3000 year old Ancient Sitka Spruce
Bindings - Blackwood
Fret board - Gidgee with 12" radius
Bridge - Gidgee
Head Plates - Gidgee
Neck - Spanish Cedar with CF truss rod
Rosette - Unkown Burl with Pau Abalone
Purflings - black / maple / black
Tuners - Hipshot
Strings - South Coast Ukes
Finish - Gloss lacquer over epoxy pore fill

babinga_ancient_spruce-tenor-1.jpgbabinga_ancient_spruce-tenor-2.jpgbabinga_ancient_spruce-tenor-3.jpgbabinga_ancient_spruce-tenor-4.jpgbabinga_ancient_spruce-tenor-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen, I'm very curious to how the 3000-year-old spruce sound compares to modern spruce. Does it sound similar?

BTW that tenor is one of the most eye catching ukes I have ever seen, awesome!

Brent Cole Sr. at Alaska Specialty Woods dug up the log that had been buried under a landslide when excavating for a new factory he's building in Alaska.

The sound is quite similar to Sitka. As with any wood, how you brace it and string choice makes a really big difference.

Allen,

I really like your website...very 21st century looking and represents your ukes well.

Allen,

I really like your website...very 21st century looking and represents your ukes well.

Thanks very much. I do all the photography and web design myself so I have total control over it. And I've really tried hard at making it reflect my work as I see it, and hopefully others do as well.

Your sense of color and shapes using the natural wood textures is superb. Lovely work.

Top Bottom