Hello from Mandiland!!!

Reaction score
Hi!!! I'm The Mandi Monster. I'm a lifelong artist, a pianist of 21 years, a singer of as many years or more, a model of 8 years and a writer of several years as well. What can I say? I love the arts!

About a year ago, I was in between jobs so I had a lot of time on my hands. I was using the Stumble Upon button to kill a lot of time and a video came up of Jake Shimabukuro playing Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" on ukulele. I was blown away! That planted the seed in my brain for ukulele. Over the next year it would grow with various videos, songs and things that I'd read about the uke.

What pushed me over the edge into actually purchasing my ukulele was Amanda Palmer's "Ukulele Anthem". I listened to the words and I was sold. I did some research and found a bright green Malaho uke with glitter on it. I asked around and everyone said that they were good student ukes that were inexpensive. The main thing that everyone said was to change the strings as soon as I got it so I ordered some Aquila strings as well as the ukulele.

After I had it for a week, I got a case, a book, a strap, and a tuner. My love for that green uke has grown every day and night since then. I play every day, if possible, and I've grown to love it even more than piano which I didn't think was possible.

I've named her Angel after a zombie from my favorite books, My Life As A White Trash Zombie and Even White Trash Zombies Get The Blues by Diana Rowland. It's fitting though because she saves me a lot of times. When I'm having a terrible day, all I have to do is play Angel for a little while and all is well again.

Any the way, that's my story of how I became a ukulele beginner and I'm happy to be part of this community and get to know you all. :music:

Welcome to UU, glad you joined us.

Make sure you check out the main UU website. Lots of good free vids there

I hear that. The anthem fits my point of view quite neatly as well! Welcome!

Benvinguda Mandi (as we'd say to welcome you here in Catalonia). That sounds like a real Saul on the road to Tarsus moment you had there with our beloved instrument ;)

Welcome to UU Mandi.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Jake. How many of us have started our journey into the ukelele life after we picked our jaws up off the floor after watching that video?

Aloha Mandi Uker,
Welcome to the UU forums....you found the best place to be...lots of nice and friendly ukes offer to share their knowledge with you...thank you for telling us about yourself...have fun and enjoy
happy strummings...see you around the forums... :)

Mandi, welcome and be careful. This forum is addicting.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!!! I'm happy to be here! I've learned a lot already so far from the book I got and the various sites I visited (Ukulele Underground included). I can't wait to learn more and to get to know all you much better.

Aloha, e komo mai dandy Mandi! Can't wait to hear your first song on YouTube. ;)

The first song I learned was "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS and I'm just trying to get over my stage fright to make a video. Hahaha! :eek:

Top Bottom