Kanile'a UV Satin Finish

Linho

Reaction score
Hey,

I just saw this new gorgeous Kanile'a K3 Concert Premium and noticed its "New Satin UV Finish":

New satin finish gives a natural look, awesome feel, and lifelong protection.

At the store we LOVE this new finish. It is the most smooth wonderful feel you can imagine. This is for someone that wants a custom level Hawaiian concert with a natural look, and tough durability. These cost the same as gloss finishes but have a different appeal that many will prefer. Grab it now and experience this new offering from Kanile'a ukulele. We guarantee you love this finish too!

I'm curious, did someone of you get a hands on this new UV Satin finish? What's the main difference between this and the "old" or "regular" Satin finish? Is it still an open pore finish?

Cheers,
Linho

WOW! that thing's gorgeous! I'll take it! ( I'm just a little short on cash) :D

I think for concerts, they should switch to Gotoh or other tuners to make it lighter. I had a concert and I felt it was head heavy.

I think for concerts, they should switch to Gotoh or other tuners to make it lighter. I had a concert and I felt it was head heavy.

You're right on that. The concerts I tried didn't feel very balanced.

Hi, yeah, that's really an amazing piece of wood they used for this ukulele. :cool:

Maybe anyone can say something about my real question, about the "New UV Satin Finish"? :D

My guess is that Kanilea figured out how to make their fantastic gloss UV finish as satin.

The older satin finish was very thin of difference composition, you could feel the wood. It wasn't pore-filled.

I'm quite interested to see this finish in person. Indeed, I guess they must have found a way to treat their UV finish differently to get it to a satin texture. It looks like a nice middle ground between the old flat satin finish and the super glossy UV. So now, from the pictures, it looks like you can see more of the wood grain, without seeing your own reflection in the instrument.

My guess is that Kanilea figured out how to make their fantastic gloss UV finish as satin.

The older satin finish was very thin of difference composition, you could feel the wood. It wasn't pore-filled.

That is what I like about my Kanile'a Tenor, the wood feel to it. I gave it the lemon oil treatment yesterday now and it has a great scent to boot.

I wonder if Kanile'a is going to go to all UV finishes.

I also own a satin kanilea tenor and really like its natural finish. So this "UV Satin Finish" seems to be something completely different, you can't feel the wood anymore and it's no longer open pore?

In this case I think it's a step in the wrong direction. Most players who chose satin finish want to feel the wood, right?

Guess I have to get my hands on a UV Satin Finish before I can judge. :)

"...you can't feel the wood anymore and it's no longer open pore". That is correct. I ordered a Kanilea K1-C Concert- New UV Cured Satin from HMS, and received it last Thursday. However, it is a very thin coating, no thicker than my Compass Rose tenor finish and my Kiwaya KS-1. It seems to just fill the pores, and is not any thicker. I am biased towards oil-finished satin finishes, but I am quite happy with this new UV finish. HMS has a video comparing the sound of the original satin finish vs. the new UV satin; I had to watch it a few times to discern the sonic differences. Yes, there was a slight difference (to me), but am I going to really notice over the long haul? No.

Hi Ghuyduk,

thanks for your answer! Very interesting.
I love the feel of the wood of my satin Kanile'a, so I think I'll stay with this finish. :D

Cheers,
Linho

The problem with oil finishes...from a manufacturer's point of view...is that they look terrible after the instruments have hung on a store wall for a few weeks...or months. Modern satin finishes...whether UV cured or not...maintain a like new look for a lot longer or at least until hand and arm wear starts to gloss them up a bit.

this is a great way for them to go. i like a more natural looking instrument. it's still a technical UV finish and you're getting all the good qualities.
some like the gloss thing...

this is a great way for them to go. i like a more natural looking instrument. it's still a technical UV finish and you're getting all the good qualities.
some like the gloss thing...

I'm not a big fan of glossy, but I have a Kanilea GLOSSY , and the gloss brings out the beauty of the koa so much more than a satin i HAVE. it shows fingerprints more, but feels harder too. I like it.

Top Bottom