New Pono Mahogany Tenor

kevin54

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just received this today from HMS, and boy does it sound good! I'll try and post a pic later. I had it strung to a low G since I have an Islander with standard tuning. My question is, the low G is a wound string. But the C string is also wound - is there a reason this is usually done? Next question - while I like the sound of the low G, I have a feeling I'll be playing the Pono a little more at least for now and I was thinking of putting another set of Aquila strings on it with regular G and putting the low G strings on the Islander. Should there be any problem with that - they're both tenors.
Thanks!
Kevin

Might come down to what sounds better in each tuning. I have a tenor that sounds better with reentrant tuning so that made my decision. It was a hard decision, though. I teach using linear tuning(low g), and I'd like to use this uke to teach, but its just so great in reentrant tuning. It's easy enough to change if I really want to and most likely will at some point. But for now I prefer it tuned where it is.

As far as having the 3rd and 4th strings wound, some folks prefer it and it can make sense from a balance perspective. Once again, it's gonna have to be your choice.

I'm originally from Bucks County, btw. I used love spending time in New Hope.

Thanks for your reply! I moved here bout 18 years ago and love it in New Hope, but soon to make another move to NC!
Regards,
Kevin

You won't always find a wound C with a wound low G but it is becoming more common. Some feel it makes the transition from the different tone of the wound string(s) to the plain strings less noticeable. There is probably some truth to that but I don't think it's that great a difference, really.

Depending on your playing style I could see the wound C being an advantage or a disadvantage.

John

Thanks John! I just wasn'nt sure whythey automatically put the wound "c" string on.
Regards,
Kevin

I think the wound C is a standard Pono/Ko'olau thing. My Pono mahogany came from HMS with high G and wound C. Wasn't my cup of tea so I changed the strings.

I think the wound C is a standard Pono/Ko'olau thing. My Pono mahogany came from HMS with high G and wound C. Wasn't my cup of tea so I changed the strings.

I know you can order four different configurations of the Ko'Olau tenor strings; plain, wound third, wound third & fourth, or wound fourth. Pretty nice to have that kind of variety for those as like wound strings. I just don't like wound strings if I can possibly avoid them - too noisy for pattern picking - especially the "up pick" against a wound third string seems especially noisy to me. The only thing I've got wounds on is my Pono baritone and there I use Thomastik-Infeld flat wound classical guitar strings because they aren't as noisy. If I hadn't found those strings I probably would have continued using a heavy gage plain fluorocarbon (fishing leader) third string on it just because of the up-picking noise when pattern picking.

John

The wound C string is not really common except on Pono and Ko'olau instruments. Ko'olau makes two different string sets with this arrangement. Seems to me I remember seeing even a high G set or two with a wound C. But they're surely Ko'olau strings (Alohi or Mahana) and you should probably at least give them a few months trial before replacing them. Loud isn't everything, especially on a high quality instrument.

I'm not quite sure which set of strings (Mahana, Alohi, Gold) and which combinations are used as stock on Ko'olau/Pono intruments. I'm pretty sure HMS will use a Ko'olau set unless specified by the buyer. As John mentioned, Ko'olau does have a variety of strings to choose from. That said, give em a shot before replacing them.

Top Bottom