PDA

View Full Version : Maui Music Fans

hawaii 50
04-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I see that the new Maui Music's are coming out..
Gryphon has some on their site and I know The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) has some coming too..unless they already sold them

so new at Gryphon no pictures yet..i am surprised at the prices..way lower than I thought they would be

haole
04-19-2013, 05:27 PM
They look fantastic. Huge fan of Maui Music ukes, and they're pretty underrated around these parts! Peter Lieberman is doing some of his best work now, regardless of the "pre-fire" hype.

hawaii 50
04-19-2013, 05:33 PM
I have a pre-fire tenor..only difference seems the top on mine was thinner than the ones now..but could be my imagination..
see if we can get Peter to answer..

I have played about 15 new Maui Music's at Gryphon and Pua Pua..they are really nice and Peter doing way different things now..all for the best

808boy
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
HMS getting them too. Hmmmmmmm...................

Dan Uke
04-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I would love to hear from Peter directly...The only ones that say that pre-fire are better are the ones that own one!! If I own one, I would believe it too

hawaii 50
04-19-2013, 06:51 PM
HMS getting them too. Hmmmmmmm...................

Hey Bo..
the Maui Music supposed to be there now..a deluxe one..Peter said only one but I thought there was going to be more..maybe already sold..haha

AndrewKuker
04-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Hey Bo..
the Maui Music supposed to be there now..a deluxe one..Peter said only one but I thought there was going to be more..maybe already sold..haha

We got three beauties. I did a blog yesterday, day before? Vids, pics. Check um out- http://theukulelereview.com/2013/04/19/maui-music-ukulele/

Here's one vid for you, she sings, can scream too

http://vimeo.com/64440994

http://theukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Maui-Music-11.jpg

Stevelele
04-20-2013, 03:44 AM
he told me it's all hype and that if anything the current ones are better than ever--esp bc he's making them by himself now

Yeah, I would love to hear from Peter directly...The only ones that say that pre-fire are better are the ones that own one!! If I own one, I would believe it too

dalamaricus
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Gryphon has pictures up on their site now, but I don't see any sound samples for the newer ones. The uke in the HMS video above sounds awesome!

dkcrown
05-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Bumping this up for Aaron's sound sample of my new MM. Again, I think that it sounds a little livelier now with the Worths on it, but it is hard to tell from a recorded sound sample.

808boy
05-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Hey Bo..

I want one like Dana's with the sidecomb headstock...........

hawaii 50
05-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I want one like Dana's with the sidecomb headstock...........

Hey Bo my 1998 Maui Music tenor has a round sound hole and the retro headstock like Dana's and friction tuners.
.does yours have an oval soundhole? and geared tuners..

808boy
05-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Hey Bo my 1998 Maui Music tenor has a round sound hole and the retro headstock like Dana's and friction tuners.
.does yours have an oval soundhole? and geared tuners..

Nope. Round soundhole with da junk kine Schallers. Sounds nice though..........

hawaii 50
05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Nope. Round soundhole with da junk kine Schallers. Sounds nice though..........

Yeah Bo..mine just like yours..you have the same kind headstock as Dana?
I have grover sta lite peg tuners on my..they do the trick..

My Maui Music does sound good too..

808boy
05-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah Bo..mine just like yours..you have the same kind headstock as Dana?
I have grover sta lite peg tuners on my..they do the trick..

My Maui Music does sound good too..

Yep, same headstock.....classic Maui look. Wanna change my tuners to Gotohs planetaries.....need 3 sets=$$$$, lol........
Oh, stay making one concert to honor Maui, my second home. Stay pau soon..............

hawaii 50
05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Yep, same headstock.....classic Maui look. Wanna change my tuners to Gotohs planetaries.....need 3 sets=$$$$, lol........
Oh, stay making one concert to honor Maui, my second home. Stay pau soon..............

Aloha Bo..

Stan never told me you build ukes too..
I am in the Hanalima build class right now..just for fun..
just bent the sides and cut slots in the fretboard Saturday..nice to see how ukes are built..top and back all braced but still got a long way to go we shape our neck too..good fun but not too easy...haha

808boy
05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Aloha Bo..

Stan never told me you build ukes too..
I am in the Hanalima build class right now..just for fun..
just bent the sides and cut slots in the fretboard Saturday..nice to see how ukes are built..top and back all braced but still got a long way to go we shape our neck too..good fun but not too easy...haha

Haha,
I don't build, wouldn't mind trying though. Having one built for me with my specs, designs and details.............soon done..........
Will bring it to Honolulu in July................

coolkayaker1
05-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Who's got the kahones to spring for the superdeal on the all cedar MM at HMS? I think I read someplace that this is about 6 ounces!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/maui-music-custom-concert-ukulele-all-cedar.html

Someone go for it!

kvehe
05-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Okay, if you insist. :D Kahones optional. :D As always, Andrew and the HMS crew are super-stars!

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/kvehe/photo_zpsdb75998b.jpg (http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/kvehe/media/photo_zpsdb75998b.jpg.html)

coolkayaker1
05-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Kathryn! Kathryn!! (Looks at pictures on HMS. looks at video of Corey playing it. rubs eyes in disbelief.).
Wait...how'd you do that?

mm stan
05-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Wow Kat so you are the buyer...ha ha and many others too...did you get your Brunko yet....I got my slimline...woo hoo
in great conditon and packed very well....what a good seller we got eh... :)

Dan Uke
05-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Congrats!! I would love to see how many ukes you now have. ;)

GinnyT11
05-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Craig snagged the Maui Music cedar tenor, which had an even bigger discount because of a finish flaw. It is amazingly light and so warmly resonant. He's preparing a review with sound sample now...

kvehe
05-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Nongdam - Thank you! "Not enough." :) This all-cedar concert is quite lovely - beautiful but restrained appearance, plays like a dream, sweet tone, resonant. I love it. ...and blems? What blems? Yes, they're there, but I did more damage to one of my tenors going up on stage for the first time than this sweet child has.

It's been a good week (so far).

Doc_J
05-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Congrats!! I would love to see how many ukes you now have. ;)

I have been told one should answer this question with "not enough". :)

coolkayaker1
05-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Craig and Kathryn, all cedar, must be fragile as a bar of soap.

But, I'd bet it rings like a bell. Nice! Looking forward to both of your reviews.

kvehe
05-10-2013, 05:02 AM
I have been told one should answer this question with "not enough". :)

I stand corrected. :D

kvehe
05-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Craig and Kathryn, all cedar, must be fragile as a bar of soap.

But, I'd bet it rings like a bell. Nice! Looking forward to both of your reviews.

Yes, I'm almost afraid to touch it, but it doesn't seem to be as delicate as I feared at first. I'm looking forward to Craig's review as well.

dkcrown
05-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Congratulations Kathryn and Craig. I am loving my new MM!

hawaii 50
05-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Congratulations Kathryn and Craig. I am loving my new MM!

I hear HMS going to have another batch sent to their shop soon..

Stevelele
05-10-2013, 06:52 AM
I hope they bring a boatload to the NY Uke Fest--I met Peter last year, and there was one longscale concert that was especially good that I shoulda bought

I hear HMS going to have another batch sent to their shop soon..

MGM
05-10-2013, 06:59 AM
I hope they bring a boatload to the NY Uke Fest--I met Peter last year, and there was one longscale concert that was especially good that I shoulda bought

Better yet please come visit HMS at the festival and we will have Maui Music....PLUS meet and talk to Peter Lieberman the maker at our Booth, haven't seen him in awhile and we will be catching up together in New York

hawaii 50
05-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Better yet please come visit HMS at the festival and we will have Maui Music....PLUS meet and talk to Peter Lieberman the maker at our Booth, haven't seen him in awhile and we will be catching up together in New York

Hey Mike..Stevelele is my friend and he going to be at the NY festival..take care of him,,but you can charge him double..haha just joking

Dan Uke
05-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Hey Mike..Stevelele is my friend and he going to be at the NY festival..take care of him,,but you can charge him double..haha just joking

Len, Steve knows HMS very well if you know what I mean! LOL

Stevelele
05-10-2013, 07:15 AM
You better believe I will be there--I will probably hang out by the vendors all day instead of going to the workshops. I am a huuuuge fan of HMS, and MGM may not remember it, but he sold me one of my first ukes--an ohana soprano with a big ole crack in it--sold it to me for $15! I still have it and it's awesome. I met Peter last year--he's such an unassuming and humble guy that I didn't realize when I met him that he was this legendary uke luthier

Stevelele
05-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes, my paycheck gets sent as a direct deposit to HMS!

Len, Steve knows HMS very well if you know what I mean! LOL

MGM
05-10-2013, 07:56 AM
You better believe I will be there--I will probably hang out by the vendors all day instead of going to the workshops. I am a huuuuge fan of HMS, and MGM may not remember it, but he sold me one of my first ukes--an ohana soprano with a big ole crack in it--sold it to me for $15! I still have it and it's awesome. I met Peter last year--he's such an unassuming and humble guy that I didn't realize when I met him that he was this legendary uke luthier

Stevelele..I do remember selling you the uke that got damaged in shipment for 15.00 but it still played fine.....Whatever happened to it

Dan Uke
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
BTW, why do people like them so much vs. other luthiers that work with mainly koa?

Gryphon has a bunch of them.
http://gryphonstrings.com/inventory/instrument_page.php?I=6