Gotoh Planetary Tuners

http://www.japarts.ca/

I live right near them and when I inquired about dropping by a while ago they said I could. I didn't end up going but he said it would be best just to order from them and they will have them shipped to you straight from Japan. I forget the time to delivery but I remember it didn't seem unreasonable. Nice guy to deal with too.

They said it takes about 2 to 3 weeks from Japan. They have diff't size shafts so order the right one.

Josh Gemmell is the go to guy at japarts. Very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Orders took about a week and a half from Japan.
Having Gotohs put on my new build in progress, gonna be awesome.................

Maybe when the pipeline gets filled up they will have the tuners in the US, but so far everything I've bought has shipped from Japan.
It is quick enough, but a bit more shipping.
My opinion is they are the top of the heap.

Okay, a question I'm totally embarrassed to ask, but I know this a safe and supportive environment. : )
Is this (changing out the tuners) relatively easy to do? I'm thinking about ordering some of these Gotohs and replacing the closed geared tuners on a KoAloha thinline tenor. Thanks.

Okay, a question I'm totally embarrassed to ask, but I know this a safe and supportive environment. : )
Is this (changing out the tuners) relatively easy to do? I'm thinking about ordering some of these Gotohs and replacing the closed geared tuners on a KoAloha thinline tenor. Thanks.

Easy as can be assuming you have some degree of mechanical aptitude. You'll end up with some screw holes from removing the geared tuners. The pegged Gotohs won't cover up the holes. Whether or not you want to do that is of course up to you.

Here is a quote I got from Andrew as I like them too but it doesn't totally apply to all situations as I was asking him about slotted heads. Now, I don't know if it applys to normal as the string posts could be thinner, etc. I hope he doesn't mind that I shared this and they have a bunch at HMS so you should ask them directly on if it works with your uke.

"The stealth tuners are awesome. Noa uses them on many of his and I have them on a Pepe at home. They are awesome, super fine tuning and smooth and strong for little guys. Thing is, they won't retrofit most things because of the size. Best if you build for them."

Here is a quote I got from Andrew as I like them too but it doesn't totally apply to all situations as I was asking him about slotted heads. Now, I don't know if it applys to normal as the string posts could be thinner, etc. I hope he doesn't mind that I shared this and they have a bunch at HMS so you should ask them directly on if it works with your uke.

"The stealth tuners are awesome. Noa uses them on many of his and I have them on a Pepe at home. They are awesome, super fine tuning and smooth and strong for little guys. Thing is, they won't retrofit most things because of the size. Best if you build for them."

I think the thread is about the Gotoh UPTs, not the stealth tuners.
BTW, the UPTs require a 3/8" hole. If the original hole is smaller than this, keep in mind that holes are always best enlargened with a reamer, not a drill

BTW, the UPTs require a 3/8" hole.

hehehe...thanks for pointing it out! You are right...I'm so caught up in the Stealth that I see Gotoh and I think it's the stealth... My apologies to everyone for butting in

BTW, the UPTs require a 3/8" hole. If the original hole is smaller than this, keep in mind that holes are always best enlargened with a reamer, not a drill

And good luck finding one unless you go to Stew Mac and pay your first born! I couldn't believe it - a while back when I tried to replace my ancient hand reamer I discovered that neither Lowes nor Home depot carried the old hand reamers - either tapered or step. In fact, the guys working the tool sections at both places had no idea what I was talking about even when I showed them my old reamer. I ended up having to sharpen it, and I'm not good at that sort of thing. What's the world coming to? :(

John

And good luck finding one unless you go to Stew Mac and pay your first born! I couldn't believe it - a while back when I tried to replace my ancient hand reamer I discovered that neither Lowes nor Home depot carried the old hand reamers - either tapered or step. In fact, the guys working the tool sections at both places had no idea what I was talking about even when I showed them my old reamer. I ended up having to sharpen it, and I'm not good at that sort of thing. What's the world coming to? :(

John

Why---how much is a Stewmac reamer, John>?

I bought a 3/8" hand tapered reamer at Sears for about 13 bucks and it worked great. It's only wood and cuts easily but take your time and check the fit of your new tuner often.

Why---how much is a Stewmac reamer, John>?

Thank you, Dan! I've bought a full set of nut files, a good fret file, and so on from StewMac. Some things there just aren't really good substitutes for (at least not if you're going to use them a lot) and you just have to suck it up and fork over the cash. But sixty bucks and a hundred and ten bucks for stinking taper reamers I just couldn't bring myself to do. :)

John

I bought a 3/8" hand tapered reamer at Sears for about 13 bucks and it worked great. It's only wood and cuts easily but take your time and check the fit of your new tuner often.

Was this recent? If so I may have to venture over to the mall (the only sears around here is an anchor store in the local mall). Man, I hate the mall, I bet I haven't been in there in five or six years and it's five minutes away. LOL Still...if they've got these I need to go get a new one.

John

Top Bottom