Baritone Banjo Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor013

Reaction score
Last up for sale this morning (as part of my penance for stealing from the uke fund) is a short scale tenor banjo, aka a baritone banjo uke!

DSCF3286.jpg

I bought this from Aaron Keim, who made a new bridge for it and leveled and dressed the frets as necessary. It needs a bath, but for the record: I'm not lazy, I just kind of like the aged look of this old uke (it's circa 1920).

Aside from a little dirt behind the ears, there are no issues to speak of. It has a skin top, a 1" nut, low action, and awesome geared tuners (Peg-what?).

It's probably worth mentioning that the 1" nut takes about five minutes of getting used to. I found that I flubbed easy chords at first, but after a few minutes of playing it's no worries. And for those of you who avoid barre chords or the dreaded E: this narrow neck will bend them to your will!

It's strung with Southcoast G650s, which are now called ML-RWs. It's a linear set with wound 3rd and 4th strings.

Here's a brief sound sample, in which I tried to give an example of how it sounds picked and strummed: http://snd.sc/11vuYxw

$275 USD gets this shipped to your door CONUS. International buyers, you may want to sit this one out; this puppy ain't going to be cheap to ship. (Actually, you can PM if you're interested.)

More pics to follow. Cheers.

Tuned DGBE.

There's a crummy recording in the initial post.

I should probably add: this is not a daily player for me, but I am sort of loathe to let it go. (The new acquisition better be worth it!)

Just a friendly bump to keep this on the first page, ladies and gentlemen.

Any questions, please let me know.

One more bump, with updates:

1. I switched out the strings to Southcoast Heavies, so the banjo's re-entrant now. (For the record, I think I remember Aaron offering to switch it to this option for me when I purchased it.) I declined then, because I am not very smart. The re-entrant tuning sounds great, and now claw hammer style playing works well!

2. The uke I was chasing is gone, and given that selling ukes makes me re-evaluate the stable in general, there's nothing I want (or need!) at the moment; therefore, the proceeds from this sale will go entirely to kiva (and Mike's Ukuleles to Decrease World Suck team).

What's that, you say? My original post suggested I was selling to build up a uke fund? In explanation, please see update one, sentence three, clause two.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom