Is a high-end Uke a bad idea for a rookie?

AirCanuck

Reaction score
I've been taking lessons for approximately 4 months, but I have always loved the Uke, Hawaiian music, and the culture. I simply love the sound of the Koa Tenors, it honestly puts a smile on my face and I believe they are a work of art. I could spend 4-5 hours per day just uking around when my time is truly my own.

I make a comfortable living and take great care of my things, but would it be completely asinine of me to drop 1000-1500 on a Hawaiian Koa Tenor as a rookie player? I'm not worried about the love affair ending, I'm not worried about the financial side, I'm more curious as to the practicality side. Hell if I lost both my arms, I'd be content to hang it on the wall just to stare at.

I don't want to be the 16 year old with the sports car, or the over equipped skier on the bunny hill...you know the types, I don't want to be "THAT guy". :cool:

Thanks ukers!

Go ahead and be that guy. Ukers don't judge too much and a grand is not too extravagant for a good ukulele. In the long run it's cheaper because you haven't acquired 2 or 3 "gateway instruments" while you're getting warmed up. Enjoy it.

You've covered all the bases. You should go for it.

Thanks guys, how about the abuse factor on a nicer instrument? I have so much still to learn, obviously, and will make many mistakes with every new lesson. I thought I can still use my Kala for practicing, but I will still make my screw ups on any instrument. Will the Hawaiian K-ukes be forgiving enough?

Again, thanks for the insight. If I am ever in the position to pay it forward, it will be done!

I've found I'm much more likely to use the things I like.

Go get that beautiful tenor!

Edited to add: I wouldn't worry too much about abuse. You could opt for a gloss finish and a good case. A long as you don't use it to open bottles or jack up your car you'll be fine.

Thanks guys, how about the abuse factor on a nicer instrument? I have so much still to learn, obviously, and will make many mistakes with every new lesson. I thought I can still use my Kala for practicing, but I will still make my screw ups on any instrument. Will the Hawaiian K-ukes be forgiving enough?

Again, thanks for the insight. If I am ever in the position to pay it forward, it will be done!

Do your practicing on the good instrument—you'll want to practice more and you'll learn faster. Yo-yo Ma practices on the cello he performs with.

As to "abuse" of a fine uke: Playing a uke can leave some wear, and handling it increases the likelihood of dings. But that's putting your own mojo into the instrument.
You might find a super buy on a beautiful used koa uke on the Marketplace here. If it already has a little ding, it spares you that feeling of wanting it to keep it pristine forever.

Just awesome advice guys, much gratitude. I guess the hunt begins...to UU Search button I go!

Actually, the UU search function is the not the strongest feature of this awesome site. Just go to the UU Marketplace section first every day. Or, if you make a "WTB Hawaiian-made koa tenor" post, it might bring you some options.

No worse than getting a Jaguar as your first car... but price doesn't always make a better instrument.

Price isn't really the dance here, quality is. I just wasn't sure if a high quality instrument is too soon for a dum dum. But yea, I don't expect a Kamaka to sound better than my $25 Denver with dental floss for strings that travels to the arctic at 35000ft numerous times per month, not a chance, never. Price is most certainly going to make a better instrument in my case. :rolleyes: ;)

And no, the new Koa based Tenor will not be going traveling to inhospitable environments, I promise! :cool:

Last edited:

My first uke is a Kamaka HF-3

I knew the stories of the K brands, I knew that koa is getting more and more expensive as it becomes harder to find, I knew that I wanted to learn the ukulele.

Why not?

I've since purchased a Kala that I keep on my desk in my classroom and a couple of sopranos mostly in hopes that my 5 y.o. son will start playing. Scratches, strum marks and dings just add to the story of your uke. Love marks if you will.

I think you should definitely get a nice ukulele. You will love it, and grow into it. No shame there. It saves you money in the long run, and you end up getting really comfortable playing that particular uke, with all the positions of the frets and thickness of the neck placed firmly in your muscle memory. If you ever want to sell it, you will have a better resale value than on a cheaper uke. My Kanile'a gloss is very sturdy, and looks as good as new even after 2+years. If you can play some ukes in person first... that is the best way to select a uke, especially an expensive one.

Happy shopping!

–Lori

Yes, just what Lori said!

I think you should definitely get a nice ukulele. You will love it, and grow into it. No shame there. It saves you money in the long run, and you end up getting really comfortable playing that particular uke, with all the positions of the frets and thickness of the neck placed firmly in your muscle memory. If you ever want to sell it, you will have a better resale value than on a cheaper uke. My Kanile'a gloss is very sturdy, and looks as good as new even after 2+years. If you can play some ukes in person first... that is the best way to select a uke, especially an expensive one.

Happy shopping!

–Lori

Ooooh, Lori, I should have consulted you when I was in negotiations with my wife over this one. Those are dynamite points. Thanks!

I say get the uke you want if you can afford it rookie or not. Getting a uke you really like, to me at least, really encourages you to want to play more. A coworker of mine got a really sweet Kanilea as her first uke and she only learned to play the uke during her vacation cruise.

If you can afford it, enjoy it.

My only caution would be - if you anticipate that you could Never afford doing this again. If that were the case,
then it would possibly be prudent to log more time so that you truly figure out what you want in a uke.

Outside of that, if you have the bucks, have fun, and keep us posted so that we can have some fun on your journey. :) :cool:

Do it! If you want to save a little money, buy something from the Marketplace. There are some incredible deals there right now, you could save hundreds!

Top Bottom