NUD! Ohana TKS-15E Slim Line Mahogany Tenor with Passive Pickup

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
This is my first tenor uke and I struggled long and hard over what to get. I asked many, many questions of the usual supects (Mainland, Uke Republic, Mim) and finally decided on this one for the following reasons:

1. Tenor scale
2. Laminate - honestly, I don't know that I want to "bother" with an all solid instrument yet. Besides I don't know what I'm missing. :cool:
3. Pickup :music:
4. Setup - didn't want to risk eBay again like with the Lanikai bari and have it play less than optimally
5. Cost - at $200, this wasn't the cheapest tenor but I think it was the cheapest with a pickup (for a "reputable" brand anyway)

The first thing is that the setup is absolutely awesome thanks to Mim. I asked her if she could get the action at 2.5mm and I think she nailed it. Intonation is great.

Tone is not bad as-is, but I'll probably be swapping out the Aquila reentrants for Worth brown low G before too long. The back is slightly arched. I guess that gives it a little more projection and volume than might be expected from the thin body.

The passive pickup works just fine into my iPad with Apogee Jam interface. Also plugged in to a Roland MicroCube. Does what it is supposed to do.

Good looking instrument. Solid build. Awesome setup. Nice tone. What's not to love? Well, just one thing - I want a strap on it. Other than that, no complaints.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 127
Happy NUD! Ohana ukes are excellent value. Well made and nice sounding. The included setup is a nice bonus.

Congrats!

There's something very cool about a slim uke. I can't quite pin down what it is, exactly, but I love mine.

Congrats on the new uke. Ohana's are great. I think you will like the Worth Browns

Oooo... missed your first posting! Super glad you love it! All the Ohana thinlines come with a pickup, even the soprano, which I think is super cool. And it is all laminate which I think it just a great idea for a travel uke, since you don't want to have to baby it!!!

FUN to see it out of my hands and "in the wild"! Thanks for posting!

Let me know how the strings work out. I am FINALLY ordering a ton of worths, all kinds. Don't ask me why it has taken me so long. But I am looking forward to throwing them on some ukes in the near future!

I did get the Worth browns in the mail a few days ago but now I'm not in a hurry to put them on for some reason. The Aquilas have settled in and i have them tuned down to Bb reentrant. The sound and the feel are pretty good like that so I'm going to keep them on for a while longer.

Might as well wear them out :) It is amazing the change that can come when a string settles.

I've decided to keep this uke reentrant but will be trying some different strings. First, I thought I'd make a quick vid with the Aquilas so I can compare. He it is.

Top Bottom