PDA

View Full Version : Shortscales?

allanr
04-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Just wondering how many ukers have either adopted a shortscale guitar as their guitar of choice, or have chosen to have a shortscale guitar in their stable?

I am referring to regular 6 string guitars with scale lengths of 24 inches or less. For example the Fender Mustang, Jaguar, and Duo Sonic.

Mine is a Fender 1993 MIM Duo-Sonic in Torino Red.

Barbablanca
04-21-2013, 06:39 AM
When my daughter expressed an interest, some years back, in learning electric guitar, I got her a kid's size Les Paul for her birthday. She did a year with an incompetent teacher and they ended up hating each other :( ...and she was put off the guitar (forever?). (BTW she won't let "Dad" teach her anything... in case you were wondering).

The thing sat in her bedroom as an ornament for years. But recently I've joined a blues band and got myself a tutor book on blues rhythm guitar. A lot of the suggested riffs involved stretches that my short stumpy fingers just will not handle on a standard sized electric guitar, especially after having been used to ukes for the last year or so. Anyway, I picked up her little Les Paul and "Hey Presto" those riffs were suddenly available to me painlessly.

The problem is that the instrument is not the best quality, so if the blues band really takes off I'll be exploring replacing it with a better quality instrument of a similar size.

That said, can anyone recommend a really small electric that keeps intonation and whose pickups don't sound grungy or muddy?

UkeKiddinMe
04-21-2013, 07:21 AM
When my daughter expressed an interest, some years back, in learning electric guitar, I got her a kid's size Les Paul for her birthday. She did a year with an incompetent teacher and they ended up hating each other :( ...and she was put off the guitar (forever?). (BTW she won't let "Dad" teach her anything... in case you were wondering).

The thing sat in her bedroom as an ornament for years. But recently I've joined a blues band and got myself a tutor book on blues rhythm guitar. A lot of the suggested riffs involved stretches that my short stumpy fingers just will not handle on a standard sized electric guitar, especially after having been used to ukes for the last year or so. Anyway, I picked up her little Les Paul and "Hey Presto" those riffs were suddenly available to me painlessly.

The problem is that the instrument is not the best quality, so if the blues band really takes off I'll be exploring replacing it with a better quality instrument of a similar size.

That said, can anyone recommend a really small electric that keeps intonation and whose pickups don't sound grungy or muddy?

Samick and Ibanez both have nice quality short scales.

And thanks for that quote about Dad not being allowed to teach. Makes me feel like I'm not alone in the world.

weerpool
04-21-2013, 07:21 AM
all my electric guitars are shortscale ( Fender jaguar, duo-sonic, mustang, bronco and musicmaster). the ukes i build ranges from 8 to 12" scale so yeah, i love shortscale intruments.

allanr
04-21-2013, 09:58 AM

There is not much new in the 22.5 inch scale length, but you can find vintage Fender Mustangs, Musicmasters, and DuoSonics on Ebay. The best deals are the Made in Mexico (MIM) DuoSonics, you can usually find one for between 200 and 300 and the standard neck was the 22.5" scale.

ricdoug
04-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I have a Squier Mini in my home office with a 22.75" scale. I did a lot of setup work on it to make it a nice player. Ric

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=squier%20mini&page=1&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Asquier%20mini

Barbablanca
04-21-2013, 10:55 AM
.... thanks for that quote about Dad not being allowed to teach. Makes me feel like I'm not alone in the world.

Frustrating, ain't it? ;)

UkeKiddinMe
04-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Frustrating, ain't it? ;)

Frustrating isn't close to the word, brother.

Another Stephanie
04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm not lucky enough to own it myself, but my friend has a Larrivee parlor guitar with a 24" scale and it's fantastic. Hoping to buy my own someday. Though my own guitar has a nice enough sound, that 24" scale length is so much more comfortable. Brings my effort-to-enjoyment ratio way down. :)
Re. electric guitars, I've been strongly considering buying a used Epiphone Pee Wee Les Paul (19" scale), though now I may try out some of the suggestions on this thread first. (Thanks!)

allanr
04-23-2013, 01:48 AM
all my electric guitars are shortscale ( Fender jaguar, duo-sonic, mustang, bronco and musicmaster). the ukes i build ranges from 8 to 12" scale so yeah, i love shortscale intruments.

Awesome!!!

robin jack
05-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Great "Another Stephanie" I like your thing and you really have a great work done..
Ok let me conform what is the suitable electric guitar for my small baby..?
Do you have any deal for electric guitar this time..?

ChaosToo
05-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I've just got a 3/4 Squier Strat. Snapped a string already, so I'm looking for suitable replacements to tune it in standard E without the strings being too floppy......anyone?

Ukunewb
05-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I recently bought a Taylor GS-Mini (spruce top), which is a 3/4 guitar, thinking that the small scale would be better for my small hands. In some ways, it is indeed better, but in other ways not so much. Even with my small fingers, I have some trouble playing A-chords, because I have to squeeze my fingers onto 3 strings on the same fret. The A chord on the guitar is essentially like a D-chord on the uke, except I can almost barre a D chord on my uke while I need three fingers to hold down the A on a guitar.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have bought a full-sized guitar....and in case you're curious, the new guitar would have been a Taylor 214, 314 or 414. I love Taylors for their neck shape and playability, and their bright sound, which reminds me of a uke. Of course, I will probably eventually get that full-sized guitar...and also a tenor uke, and a banjo, and all of the other pretty little instruments I want ;-).

Wicked
05-21-2013, 08:37 AM
I recently bought a Taylor GS-Mini (spruce top), which is a 3/4 guitar, thinking that the small scale would be better for my small hands. In some ways, it is indeed better, but in other ways not so much. Even with my small fingers, I have some trouble playing A-chords, because I have to squeeze my fingers onto 3 strings on the same fret.

I bought a GS Mini a couple years back, and it is now the only flat-top guitar that I have in the stable. (I have thinned the herd considerably.) It is a fun little guitar, and actually works well for playing with ukulele players without overpowering them.

That being said, the action was high at the nut and the saddle. I made the adjustments myself (being extremely picky) and the playability improved substantially. (Actually, I will probably bring down the bridge a smidge sometime in the future. The saddle is about as low as I can go without having an unacceptable break angle.) The shop that you bought it from should have offered to adjust the action for you.

Also, the GS Mini comes stock with Elixir medium strings. This gets a great sound out of that little box, but I can see why fretting those things can feel like the eighth labor of Hercules to a beginner – especially on such a short scale. I went ahead and put on some lighter gauge strings for the benefit of other members of my family, and the sound was not affected too drastically. You may want to do the same.

WhenDogsSing
05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Electrically, I have a 1960 Fender Duo-Sonic, a 1977 Peavey T-something w/3 single coils wired like a strat, and a MIM Fender Stratocaster Junior made about 10 years ago. All of these are 3/4 size instruments w/scale lengths of approx. 22-1/2". My favorite is the MIM Stratocaster Junior, it is high quality throughout. Fender only made these for about 2 years. They are fairly rare. It cost around $650. new.

I will never buy or ever own another Squire Mini-Strat, quite simply, they are junk from end to end. There is no comparison between the MIM Fender Strat Junior and the Squire Mini-Strat. They are two completely different animals quality-wise.

Acoustically, I have a Larrivee parlor guitar that is simply awesome w/ the 24" scale. I also have a Taylor GS Mini which is a very nice instrument.

Moving on, I have a Tacoma Papoose, a terz guitar that is tuned to ADGCEA. Fender bought Tacoma out a few years back and discontinued the Tacoma line. The Papoose is a very nice instrument. I'm not sure of the scale length but it plays very easy and sounds great.

Mele makes some very nice 6 nylon string instruments. I have a Mele guitarlele w/scale length of around 20". It is my favorite 6 string acoustic instrument. They sell for around $700-$800.

I also have a Mele "travel" guitar w/scale length around 21-1/2". It is a great instrument with loads of tone. They sell for around $1000.

Do I have too many instruments?

Wicked
05-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Do I have too many instruments?

The first step is to admit you have a problem.

Markr1
05-21-2013, 02:09 PM
I've got a Gibson Robert Johnson which I believe is considered a short scale. It's not the best guitar I have but is the best playing guitar I have. It is acoustic tho.

allanr
05-24-2013, 12:14 PM
WhenDogsSing (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?11448-WhenDogsSing),

One of my regrets is selling my Fender Strat Junior. It was a great little guitar. Mine had been modded to be just like a full size Strat, with a 2nd volume control. Fortunately, I have me sweet little Duo Sonic taking its place in the stable now.

WhenDogsSing
05-25-2013, 08:25 AM
WhenDogsSing (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?11448-WhenDogsSing),

One of my regrets is selling my Fender Strat Junior. It was a great little guitar. Mine had been modded to be just like a full size Strat, with a 2nd volume control. Fortunately, I have me sweet little Duo Sonic taking its place in the stable now.

The Fender Strat Junior is a wonderful instrument. You can find them for sale out there but they are rare. The Peavey T-whatever I have is actually a better guitar all around but it is extremely heavy as are all of the Peavey swamp ash guitars of that period were.

Teek
08-05-2013, 09:15 AM
+1 on the Tacoma Papoose, cedar top with mahogany back and sides, with a 19 inch scale, and a flattish back to the neck but I find it very comfortable even with my very stiff beat up hands. I would love to have the solid body electric Papoose but they come up for sale only rarely. I do have the Epiphone PeeWee, I got an older one and it is very nicely built and has a decent sound through my Roland MicroCube.

I tried a 60s Harmony tenor guitar, mahogany back and sides and spruce top, and love it but can't reach more than 3 frets without strain on the 23" scale so have it on my local Craigslist. I love the 19 inch scales as I can tune so the higher strings are in baritone uke tuning and then I can add in the basses where they seem to work, but also can use the few guitar chord shapes I know. I hope to learn how to do more with both of the guitars.

allanr
09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
I bought another Telecaster. It's not a shortscale, but in my quest to maintain my guitar collection at exactly 3 guitars, my shortscale is available for purchase. So if anyone is considering trying a shortscale guitar as their next "baritone" ukulele... PM me if you think a '93 Fender Duo Sonic might fit the bill.

insula
09-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I play a Baby Taylor (also a Martin 000-concert size w/standard scale), and it is very comfortable, so if anyone is thinking of transitioning from uke to guitar, I recommend one. About 18 months of devotion to uke has put me off steel strings, though. Love what I can accomplish, melodically, on nylon.

Kdogg
09-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I have A taylor GSmini-23 1/2 inch scale,great little guitar...

janeray1940
09-24-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm happy to see this thread resurface, since it addresses the question I asked here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?86163-guitar-recos-for-super-small-hands) to some extent. I'm leaning toward a Baby Taylor or GS Mini at this point.

Kdogg
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
janeray-
I just posted on your other thread about the GS mini. The thing that drove me too short scale is nerve damage from a neck and shoulder injury reaching towards the nut ( down the neck I believe is the correct term ,I may have it backwards) would cause my fretting arm to imitate a wet noodle waiting for the marinara sauce and no amount of repositioning the body of the guitar would help. I don't have that big of hands either.

I would suggest giving the GS mini a try, if you can fret it you wont be disappointed...

Mercury
09-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Just wondering how many ukers have either adopted a shortscale guitar as their guitar of choice, or have chosen to have a shortscale guitar in their stable?

I am referring to regular 6 string guitars with scale lengths of 24 inches or less. For example the Fender Mustang, Jaguar, and Duo Sonic.

Mine is a Fender 1993 MIM Duo-Sonic in Torino Red.
Although I have a number of guitars, mainly Fenders, this one is by far my fave (Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic vintage re-isssue);

I just love Mustangs and Duo-Sonics!

allanr
10-16-2013, 05:35 AM
I bought another Telecaster. It's not a shortscale, but in my quest to maintain my guitar collection at exactly 3 guitars, my shortscale is available for purchase. So if anyone is considering trying a shortscale guitar as their next "baritone" ukulele... PM me if you think a '93 Fender Duo Sonic might fit the bill.

Well since posting this, I have acquired yet another shortscale Fender guitar. It's a Fender Stratocaster Junior. These look, at first glance, to be very similar to the Squier Mini. But they are in a different league altogether. The Strat J. was made in Mexico for only a short period of time. roughly 2004 to 2006. Mine is a 2006 with a cool Fender 60th Anniversary medallion on the headstock. The Strat Junior is essential a MIM Standard that's been scaled down in size. The headstock is full size though. The scale length is 22.7 inches.

BTW The Duo Sonic took a while to sell (I changed my mind until I bought the Strat Jr.) but it sold yesterday on the EBay.

Harrysong
11-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I have a few Brian May (Queen) guitars that are 24 inch scale length. Love them.

Appalachian picker
11-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Anyone have any experience with a Samick ST6-2?

It's a 1/2 size body steel 6 string 23 1/2" scale guitar. 1 11/16" nut. Description has it with a solid spruce top and I've seen them on ebay for around $50.

engravertom
12-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I've been playing an Ibanez 3/4 size nylon string guitar for about a year now. It's right around 23' in scale length. I have it tuned a step down, so I often capo it at the second fret, which shortens the scale even further. When i add a cut capo, I'm almost in tenor Uke scale territory. if I am primarily playing chords, or fingerstyle pieces that don't need it, i loosen the 6th string and pull it off to the side of the neck, making chord strumming a lot easier for me. I can move the capo off of the 6th string to get drop D tuning, and I'm finding Eb is better for me to sing in than E, so the option of playing below standard tuning is really nice for me.

The neck is a bit big, but the string spacing is nice, i find the steel string guitars a bit tight. I don't use a pick, or even fingernails, so the extra room between strings really helps.

I might get another one, maybe the 20" scale, or perhaps another Guitalele. Should have kept the one I had!I would like to have one instrument with a re entrant tuning, but with more than 4 strings. The other instrument would be tuned that way. i could still play the Uke arrangements I learned the past few years that way. Some guitar pieces really work nicely with a re entrant tuning too. Sometime i think I should just stay with the one guitar though. Mostly I'm drumming and singing right now, and learning guitar for when my Guitarist son gets married and maybe moves away! I just love playing it too, and have been using it to write/arrange music with. i still pick up the Uke for those purposes also.

probably will want to get a short scale electric someday, but the string spacing worries me. maybe I'll convert one to a 5 string to spread them out a bit.

JamieWG
12-20-2013, 07:45 AM
My classical guitars were made for me and are shorter scale --- string length 63cm (about 24 3/4"). I also have a nice handmade requinto which is just shy of 22" string length, and a lovely alto cutaway classical that is 21". My suggestion to anybody interested in a good short scale classical guitar, is to contact Ruben Flores. I don't think he deals in steel string guitars at all. He imports guitars from Spain under his own label. I used to order guitars from him all the time for my students, and my alto cutaway is one from his own line. I especially like the 400 and 700 models. You can reach him through his website: http://rubenflores.com. (I have no connection with him other than as a satisfied customer.)

Jamie

UkeKiddinMe
12-20-2013, 09:07 AM
I no longer own a guitar, but if I ever got back into it, it Would be a short scale.

In the bass world, I have always enjoyed short scales.

My focus in the bass world is the micro scale basses. [Gold Tone MicroBass, Kala UBass]
I love them so much that I went into the business of selling and supporting them.