PDA

View Full Version : Collings size question

Markr1
04-21-2013, 06:54 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before or not. If so I couldn't find it. I wonder why Collings didn't make soprano ukes? I'm not into sopranos but still wonder why?

SamUke
04-21-2013, 07:03 AM
The market for tenors is bigger.

Dan Uke
04-21-2013, 08:17 AM
They would have to compete with Martin and they know they would lose :o

Markr1
04-21-2013, 08:21 AM
I don't think Collings has to compete with anyone. They have proven themselves with any instrument they've built.

Dan Uke
04-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't think Collings has to compete with anyone. They have proven themselves with any instrument they've built.

Agreed! Just a nongdam

mm stan
04-21-2013, 09:23 AM
What is with them and the rumor they want to cease production?

janeray1940
04-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Most of the guitarists I know who also play ukulele don't enjoy playing sopranos. I'm guessing Collings knows their customer base well.

(This is actually why I haven't considered a Collings - I play mainly soprano, and while I've encountered some sweet Collings concerts and tenors, I haven't been too tempted because know they would get ignored.)

Markr1
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I can't answer that Stan. I wondered the same thing myself. I only know what I've heard from a few on here. Some say they are trying to catch up with back orders from stores and I've also heard their to expensive to make for the price their charging. I'm going to call them next week to see if they can send some Collings boxes for mine since don't have their original boxes and ask them if they are going to stop production on them.

Markr1
04-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Anyone know how to date them? I know they have a stamped number on the neck block. The case has a date in it on the tag and I do think that dates the year tho not sure about that.

mm stan
04-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I can't answer that Stan. I wondered the same thing myself. I only know what I've heard from a few on here. Some say they are trying to catch up with back orders from stores and I've also heard their to expensive to make for the price their charging. I'm going to call them next week to see if they can send some Collings boxes for mine since don't have their original boxes and ask them if they are going to stop production on them.

Aloha Markie,
Have you seen this post?

I was told by one of Collings larger dealers that they would fill existing orders and be suspending future orders. Most of their focus now is on electric guitars and they were losing money on the ukuleles. He said they began making ukes as a way to keep the staff busy during the economic downturn.

Markr1
04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info Stan. We better hang onto our Collings if their going to stop making them.
Aloha Markie,
Have you seen this post?

I was told by one of Collings larger dealers that they would fill existing orders and be suspending future orders. Most of their focus now is on electric guitars and they were losing money on the ukuleles. He said they began making ukes as a way to keep the staff busy during the economic downturn.

WhenDogsSing
04-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info Stan. We better hang onto our Collings if their going to stop making them.

Yeppers...I hopefully will be able to keep my Collings till the end.

connor013
04-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeppers...I hopefully will be able to keep my Collings till the end.

What did I say about Yuppers, Michael?

mm stan
04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
If True, this is really shocking....I better hold on to mine until we know for sure:)

grownupboy
04-21-2013, 12:31 PM
if i recall correctly, collings started out with only concert ukes and quickly added a tenor size. pretty sure i heard something after namm where collings mentioned they're "looking at" a soprano for the future (whatever that means...)

it really doesn't make sense that collings would simply stop producing ukes because "they're losing money" on them. they sell literally every one they make and had pre-orders out the wazoo. the price has gone up considerably in the past year or two and they're still selling like crazy.

i remember bill collings saying in an interview that they were producing one uke a day at the current facility and were looking at ways to double that production.

chances are they're retooling or modifying the production process for a variety of reasons... but my money is on the return of collings ukes. they're spot on and excellent but expensive as you know what!

k

Markr1
04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Here are my favorite Collings sizes all tenors.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/nomaj112/100_3268_zps616b8999.jpg (http://s390.photobucket.com/user/nomaj112/media/100_3268_zps616b8999.jpg.html)
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/nomaj112/100_3266_zpsd52f1c6a.jpg (http://s390.photobucket.com/user/nomaj112/media/100_3266_zpsd52f1c6a.jpg.html)

soupking
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Good stuff, Mark! Love that new 2!

mm stan
04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Wow Mark nice Collings family....

NewKid
04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Awesome Mark! I hope your Collings double in value.

Markr1
04-22-2013, 04:05 PM
I hope they double in price to but highly doubt it. It doesn't matter tho because I'm going to keep them regardless. I really like all of them.
Awesome Mark! I hope your Collings double in value.

Markr1
04-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Wow Mark nice Collings family....

Thanks my friend Stan. The only thing missing is a couple of UT-3s.

bookbinder
01-30-2014, 05:36 AM
a dealer told me last week that Collings will unveil a soprano size uke at Namm this summer. just hearsay, but thought I'd kick start the rumor mill..

Hippie Dribble
01-30-2014, 07:56 AM
a dealer told me last week that Collings will unveil a soprano size uke at Namm this summer. just hearsay, but thought I'd kick start the rumor mill..
oh no, where's my medication... :p

suburude
01-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Not everyone likes Collings guitars

blue_knight_usa
01-30-2014, 02:14 PM

Ouch! LOL.

blue_knight_usa
01-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Aloha Stan,

I spoke with Collings at the NAMM booth and ask him that and he told me absolutely not. I asked him if they started making the UC3K again and he said they are and sure enough I just saw on Elderly they have one for a tad under $3k.
Now maybe they want to but if they do they aren't telling the general public that yet, at least not me. They are selling ukes like crazy and had to stop production last year because of their back order and stores were getting frustrated they had a "coming soon" on their website for 6 months with nothing coming. No inventory = no money. I think until the sales drop substantially they will keep making them. They seem to sell extremely fast.

They let me play a one of a kind custom that was going to a store that was all koa (never have seen Koa this beautiful..it was not your typical grain or pattern) and was all one piece for the back, and one piece of koa for the top (tenor scale). It was the best looking koa uke I have ever seen them produce. I tried to find out what store it was going to as someone already bought it for their store. I took some photos I will have to post on it. I have a lot of photos from NAMM actually and need to get those up.

Cheers,