3rd Time Now Broken "A" String

BBQUKER

Reaction score
Worth Browns on my tenor Pono which I just bought last December. Just changed the strings last time the last week of March. For some reason the A string keeps breaking. I guess time to look at some other strings - probably Ken Middleton's strings. Keep hearing good things about them.

Dan

Agree... this is most likely a problem with the setup, not with the strings. If a different brand helps, that would likely mostly be due to luck.

Yup, what everyone else has said.

My money is on the nut -- some burr or edge is the culprit. If you have a small file, like the kind attached to nail clippers, the little rounded tip thingy might be enough to get in there. Just be careful you don't file away too much.

But don't give up on Worths -- they're great strings.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Agree with all the others.....not a string problem. But as a note the Living Water strings are great!

If you don't have a proper file for nut dressing, a good alternative is a set of welding tip cleaners. They come in sets with several sizes and the sets cost <$5.00 US.

I bought a set at Home Depot.

Yup, what everyone else has said.

My money is on the nut -- some burr or edge is the culprit. If you have a small file, like the kind attached to nail clippers, the little rounded tip thingy might be enough to get in there. Just be careful you don't file away too much.

But don't give up on Worths -- they're great strings.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

+ 1 on a sharp nut edge

I had the exact same problem on a long neck soprano. Light sanding fixed it for me.

I'm +1 with everybody above. Look at the string and figure out where it broke. If the part attached to the bridge is pretty long, it's a sharp edge or bur or something on the nut almost every time. If it's the other way around, look for a sharp edge on the saddle (far less common on ukes with their rounded saddles than it is on guitar, though).

One other thing to consider is a sharp spot on a tuner but that will usually only cut a string if you don't have enough winds around the shaft. With the thinner strings I like at least three full wraps (actually, four, one over and three under). This ensures that there is little or no tension on the edge of the string hole in the tuner.

I think I have only ever once had a string break in the middle and it was almost certainly due to a defect in the string.

John

Thanks for the responses. The break is at the second fret. Feeling with my finger I do not feel any rough edges that would nick the string. Going to replace the string with the remaining Worth and see what happens. In the mean time I have been meaning to order Living Waters anyhow.

Thanks for the responses. The break is at the second fret. Feeling with my finger I do not feel any rough edges that would nick the string. Going to replace the string with the remaining Worth and see what happens. In the mean time I have been meaning to order Living Waters anyhow.

If the break is "at the second fret" then it was really at the nut. "Nylon" strings shorten up a lot when the tension comes off! :)

BTW, are you going to be at UWC again this year? If so, bring the uke in question if you are still having trouble with it and I'll take a peek. I'll have my tools and magnifier along unless I go brain dead before then.

John

I agree with the others, it is most likely NOT a string issue, but a ukulele issue either nut or saddle.
Could also be user error, but more likely a ukulele issue.

John, I will definitely be at UWC. Looking forward to seeing you again. Should have my camper again (and my smokers). still figuring out what to do this year for food. Maybe wings.

I broke 2 (well, the 1 loooooong piece, twice) Worth Brown A strings on my Islander. This after having the A string of the Aquila Red set pop as well. I was really bummed that I never got to hear a full WB set. I couldn't feel or find any issue, and I've had many sets of strings on the same uke before with no breaks. I took some very fine sandpaper to the nut and the bridge and inspected the tuner peg itself. Bought a single D'Addario Clear A string and strung it up and it was fine for a while.

I just checked that uke (in it's case, I haven't played it in weeks, been playing my Kala) when I saw this post and guess what? That A string has popped.

It broke at the bridge or below the pin, the opposite of how I recall the Worth's breaking but I'm not 100% on that.

I'm stumped. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom