Martin M620 (tenor) strings on a concert?

oldtimestrings

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings on my Ko'olau koa C-1 concert lately. I like them, sweet and clear, but overall they are a bit light. I really like the slightly heavier C string, but the relatively light gauge of the other strings doesn't always give me enough roundness of sound when fingerpicking.

So, I'm just wondering whether anybody has tried the Martin M620 tenor set on a concert-scale uke. The gauges are 21.6 28 34 25.6, which doesn't seem that far off in total tension from Fremont hard or Worth strong sets, which I have used successfully. The Martins are good quality and a little cheaper, so I was thinking of giving them a shot. Any experience or insight appreciated. Mahalo.

I realize this is an old thread but it came up while I was searching for something else, and - it looked lonely without any responses at all!

I recently posted about doing exactly this, Martin tenor strings on my Kamaka concert uke. They've been on for a week and I'm very pleased with both the sound and the feel. Definitely prefer them to Worths or Fremonts.

Well it depends a lot on the build of the uke...if it's a light build uke a thicker C string may sound thuddy or flat...

Top Bottom