Music as a language - victor wooten

BIGDB

Reaction score
now I know he's not a ukulele player but what he says in the video really should be and can be used with any instrument if you are learning or teaching. He's one of my favorite musicians and I really think what he saying is good so I though I'd share

http://youtu.be/3yRMbH36HRE

Last edited:
I had the unforgettable experience of seeing and hearing Victor and Jake together onstage at the Kahilu Theatre in Waimea on the Big Island a couple of years ago.

I had the unforgettable experience of seeing and hearing Victor and Jake together onstage at the Kahilu Theatre in Waimea on the Big Island a couple of years ago.

Wow do you know if there is any recordings of it? I would love to see that

If you want a great philosophical lesson on music (and life) check out Wooten's "The Music Lesson"

(Get the audio book, it's worth it to hear him speak)

If you want a great philosophical lesson on music (and life) check out Wooten's "The Music Lesson"

(Get the audio book, it's worth it to hear him speak)

+1
Amazing book. I have read it 3 times. The book offers so much wisdom and insight.

The Music Lesson

I recently bought the book in an Airport and took no time to read it, which is a feat for me being dyslexic. Overall I thought it was a great read. It got a little "out there "in the middle for me but there was some real gems. I loved his thoughts on rests and pauses.

I recently bought the book in an Airport and took no time to read it, which is a feat for me being dyslexic. Overall I thought it was a great read. It got a little "out there "in the middle for me but there was some real gems. I loved his thoughts on rests and pauses.

Yeah, really interesting book, no doubt. I share your impressions, and it got way too 'airy-fairy' for me in places as well. :confused: However the constant sprinkling of genuine wisdom and insight more than made up for the trippier aspect of it.

I was a bit skeptical about Victor Wooten's book at first but was always a fan of his work and clinics but it is a breakthrough experience for me and I keep learning from it new things each time I reread it. I highly recommend it to any musician who wants to become more.

Victor is a great teacher and musical philosopher.
He did a free workshop at a local music store which was more about how to approach playing than him showing off astounding licks.

I think Jake did a few performances with Bela Fleck and his band.....

Yes, I was lucky enough to see them together at this show in 2004, which is available for free streaming or download on Live Music Archive here:
http://archive.org/details/bfft2004-06-16.flac

I had never heard of Jake.
The Flecktones were touring behind the Little Worlds album, which he played on.

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones @ The Rococo Theatre
Lincoln, NE 6-16-2004

01: Mudslingers* 08:36
02: Cnu % 13:35
03: Jake solo->Lovers leap+ 12:31
04: Band intros 02:46
05: Spain*+ 12:04
06: Futch solo->w/Bela ! 07:44
07: Off the top 09:50
08: Victor solo-> Jeffsong$ 10:44

01: Puffy*+ 12:31
02: Pamalia & vic->Sherpa*+ 18:54
03: Poindexter*+ # 07:59
04: Sleeper*+ 15:00
05: Sex in a pan*+ 09:56

Guests: Pamelia Kurstin on Theremin *
Jake Shimabukuro on ukelele +

I have always agreed with Victor’s take on things (minus some of his more “woo woo” metaphysics) – even before I knew that he wrote a book.

I find that many people tend to focus on the less important aspects of music making. I have had several exchanges on this forum with people who get bogged down in the “strum pattern, can’t play over the sound hole, god forbid you use a pick” aspects of our little wooden instrument.

…but Victor always makes his point far more elegantly than I.

Wow do you know if there is any recordings of it? I would love to see that

I wish! What a night that was - in addition to Victor and Jake, Benny Chong and slack key guy Jeff Peterson were there. I got to meet Jake before the show started, and got his autograph on my just purchased 'Peace, Love, Ukulele' CD. In addition to Victor Wooten's wizardry, I especially remember Jeff accompanying Jake in a beautiful ukulele / slack key guitar duet of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. Music from heaven.......

I wish! What a night that was - in addition to Victor and Jake, Benny Chong and slack key guy Jeff Peterson were there. I got to meet Jake before the show started, and got his autograph on my just purchased 'Peace, Love, Ukulele' CD. In addition to Victor Wooten's wizardry, I especially remember Jeff accompanying Jake in a beautiful ukulele / slack key guitar duet of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. Music from heaven.......

That sounds great hopefully they do it again one day

Top Bottom