Uke Club Bans "Daily Ukulele" Books

~dave~~wave~

Reaction score
I'd appreciate other peoples' take on this.
A surprise announcement by the group "owner" with no discussion by the club as a whole.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lincoln_Ukulele_Group/message/508

[Bold emphasis is mine]

Recently we have been playing out of a couple of excellent (but expensive) music books (Yes they include actual musical notation). These books can be a great challenge, but each one may cost more than your first ukulele.

As of our next meeting… …we will play from our website files... [exclusively]

One group I meet with has club files and the other uses a couple books. Also being the Daily Ukulele books but I don't have them as I prefer to play contemporary music rather then stuff before I was born my :2cents:

I sort of get it where that's coming from, but I don't understand how you can learn to play your ukulele if people "openly take pride in playing the wrong chord." I'm all for relaxed and easy but that's pushing it a bit.

How can you improve if you don't play with people who know more than you? Can the people who aren't more advanced but still want to learn go play with the new group?

Interesting.... I wonder what the impetus was? Complainers? Hurt feelings? Reading between the lines it sounds like there was a big schism between the new players and the folks who were better players... I think it can be tricky to balance. Sounds like the club leaders want to focus on the newbies. It also sounds like the Daily Ukulele book was a casualty of that decision, not necessarily the crux of it.

Just a guess, no affiliation.

My local club has a similar schism right now, but we've stayed dedicated to playing a mix of easier and harder songs and everyone has kept a positive, communal outlook on it (as near as I can tell). No group should revel in playing badly, but all should try to be open and helpful with new folks so they aren't intimidated or feel judged, dismissed, or unwelcome.

Last edited:
Absurd. I don't particularly care for the books myself. However, there are songs in both books that I can find to like. Everybody can find a song they like. Having those books makes it easy for everyone to have the same music.

I am more concerned about one person making all the decisions. It is a group, no? If you are already playing out of the book, people must have the book. People can share music, too.

We have club files. We are "allowed" to bring other music as long as we bring enough copies for all. (Sometimes we have to share, big whoop). Your club founder needs to lighten up or he/she could face a mutiny. Ukulele clubs are for fun. And voluntary. aAt least last I heard.

Edit: just read the link. I would not fit in there at all. I ALWAYS have a cocktail before Uke group. I wish we met at a bar. It'd be more fun.
Oh, I have so much to say about this, but I won't. I would just start another group.

Last edited:
Maybe it was a copyright issue, ie, not everyone had a copy of the books nor wanted to buy them and no on ewanted to risk photocopying.

Or maybe there's a control freak somewhere in the mix.

Or maybe it was simply easier to return to their previous resource.

Or maybe it IS as they said in the article, but I don't understand for the life of me why anyone designs things to stay "dumbed down".

I like the Daily books and use the first one for supplimentary material with 2 students who also bought them. They are accurate, clear and readable, not too expensive for what you get, and widely available.

There was a similar issue with the book Rise Up Singing in folk clubs.

Peace.

Last edited:
Just curious, what's the average age group of the club? That may have something to do with the decision. Also mentioned in the email another location was offered for more advanced players to use as an option to pursue different goals possibly a new club.

We've been drawing from the Blue Book much of this year but are getting away from it. We use it because of the variety it offers, but also for the learning experience. Our group is aimed at beginner/intermediate players. Having the music notation in play makes us stretch our knowledge a bit. Of course, some of the arrangements leave us wondering why we tried that particular song... The book also keeps some of the photocopy costs under control.

Keeping a group vibrant is harder than it seems for a variety of reasons.

And (not trying to be too crude here) spending $30 for a music book that has enough arrangements to keep you busy with a fresh one every single day of the year is not out of line.

Not clear on why this might be viewed in a negative light. The message references ongoing discussions with folks as opposed to simply being an edict from on high. It re-emphasizes the apparent original group intent to focus on easy and stressless songs. And it recognizes the desires of players who are advancing in playing skills by noting the offer from a shop owner for space for an advanced group meeting.

No booze and family oriented language should be fine for folks who see those requisites as important. I don't see a big deal here. Sounds like a group of folks with specific wants and desires getting back to their roots while seeing to it that others who might want to play more complex stuff (and maybe tip a few with adult language:drool:) also have a play to play.

Personally I think when you play in a group, you should try to watch others and watch what chords they are playing as much as possible if you don't know the song. It's kind of tough at first, but you quickly learn to follow others and learn the chord shapes by sight. This greatly improves your fun playing with others down the road.

Absurd. I don't particularly care for the books myself. However, there are songs in both books that I can find to like. Everybody can find a song they like. Having those books makes it easy for everyone to have the same music.

I am more concerned about one person making all the decisions. It is a group, no? If you are already playing out of the book, people must have the book. People can share music, too.

We have club files. We are "allowed" to bring other music as long as we bring enough copies for all. (Sometimes we have to share, big whoop). Your club founder needs to lighten up or he/she could face a mutiny. Ukulele clubs are for fun. And voluntary. aAt least last I heard.

Edit: just read the link. I would not fit in there at all. I ALWAYS have a cocktail before Uke group. I wish we met at a bar. It'd be more fun.
Oh, I have so much to say about this, but I won't. I would just start another group.

And this sort of attitude is probably what led to the group to return to it's roots, and the start of a more advanced group meeting elsewhere !

I have no affiliation, or knowledge beyond the OP's attached document, but I totally see where they are coming from. The original goals were to create a family friendly atmosphere where anyone would feel welcome and comfortable, i.e. clearly aimed at encouraging new players of every age. The stated fact that the books in question probably cost more than a "first ukulele", I presume reflect a feeling that new players will be dissuaded from attending or too intimidated to return, if expensive books that features "actual music notations" are required.

People like Sukie (a member here for approximately 5 years, so presumably a veteran player) who state that it's "Absurd" to stick to these basic original goals of the group, are probably the type of people who would also intimidate and dissuade the return of a new t new member.

Seems to me the group is just trying to please everyone - keeping to the original family/beginner/fun format and advertising a new group for the more advanced and serious players.

No offense meant to any of the previous posters, just the opinion of someone who clearly remembers the absolute horror and fear of first attending a group. Just sayin' !

Au contraire. I am not that good. I go to ukulele club to play with others.

I clearly remember my first ukulele club meeting. I was terrified. I could maybe play every third chord. Maybe.
I believe ukulele club is for everyone. That's right -- every one. I also believe that it should be a democracy. I also believe it should be fun. I also know our club has met with more success by using those books. The yellow book is, in my opinion, easier than the blue book. But by using those books everyone has the same music.

Mods -- you may delete this post. I am terribly offended 904cc that you think so little of me. Have we met? Have you heard me play? Do you know anything at all about me? I don't think so.

I believe it is great when a club as an official book or books, so everyone can play from the same source.
Printing songs from the internet is easy and free, but, I believe, it is a copyright infringement.
A few groups I belong to use the "Daily Ukulele" books as our club books, but many folks bring in other songs.
There are also times when the book key is just wrong for the singer so we transpose.
If you don't read music the lyrics and chords are still there for the beginning player.

Bottom line is I don't understand the ban or the point.

Between the 2 Daily Uke Books there is a variety of super easy kids songs. At most of the Jams we go to folks can play from the books, bring music to share and sing, or just play and let folks join in if they want. (We do like the casual feel). I guess some folks do find the Daily Uke books too easy but they can always change it up. Like play it in E. We were still beginners and enjoy any music we can recognize and they let us play.

And this sort of attitude is probably what led to the group to return to it's roots, and the start of a more advanced group meeting elsewhere !

I have no affiliation, or knowledge beyond the OP's attached document, but I totally see where they are coming from. The original goals were to create a family friendly atmosphere where anyone would feel welcome and comfortable, i.e. clearly aimed at encouraging new players of every age. The stated fact that the books in question probably cost more than a "first ukulele", I presume reflect a feeling that new players will be dissuaded from attending or too intimidated to return, if expensive books that features "actual music notations" are required.

People like Sukie (a member here for approximately 5 years, so presumably a veteran player) who state that it's "Absurd" to stick to these basic original goals of the group, are probably the type of people who would also intimidate and dissuade the return of a new t new member.

Seems to me the group is just trying to please everyone - keeping to the original family/beginner/fun format and advertising a new group for the more advanced and serious players.

No offense meant to any of the previous posters, just the opinion of someone who clearly remembers the absolute horror and fear of first attending a group. Just sayin' !

Wow. I'm pretty offended about your comment about "People Like Sukie."

Can I meet you for a cocktail before I go to my first StrumMN meeting? You have convinced me I can join in even though I'm a n00b.

ETA: Sorry for posting off-topic. I had a few tabs open and got confused about which thread I was in.

Last edited:
Mods -- you may delete this post. I am terribly offended 904cc that you think so little of me. Have we met? Have you heard me play? Do you know anything at all about me? I don't think so.

You're right. I don't know you, so am unable to determine if you're serious or not. If you are, I apologize sincerely - it was not meant to cause offence (I actually state that in my post). The last thing I want as newbie is to get involved in a peeing match with a veteran of your stature! However, if you're going to call the actions of another group "Absurd", you should expect some counter argument.

I was merely expressing an opinion as to why the group may be doing what it is doing. The leader seems to have had discussions with other group members about the decisions taken, and refers to "we" having decided. In fact he/she uses the term "we" a lot in his explanation, so I can respect that.

Our group uses the first Daily Ukulele book heavily, but not exclusively. Folks are welcome to bring other music. If submitted ahead of time, that music will be made available via e-mail for the club members to print out at home. If not, the person submitting the song just brings sufficient copies for everyone.

I don't think banning the use of the books makes sense. I can understand not requiring members to purchase the book, but banning the use of the books that members already have seems counterproductive.

I also don't understand the perceived need to separate the beginners from the more advanced players. The folks that are further along could (and should) be helping the new players along. Also, more skilled players can challenge themselves during the simple songs by playing chord inversions up the neck, or by playing instrumental lead breaks.

I can also see the benefit of a separate, more advanced group where beginners are not slowing the pace. But this could be just another outlet for the advanced players, and shouldn't keep them from the original group.

I'm just a little confused by the OP's group's lack of ambition. Don't they want their players to learn to play better? Is entry level good enough for them....forever? Seems to me that there should be room enough for all skill levels in this type of group....

Top Bottom