Might be selling this one of a kind? Frederick Gosparlin custom Uke

sdcook

Reaction score
So I picked this up at our local antique fair in Long Beach CA, it was so unique I just had to get it. This is apparently made by Frederick Gosparlin hence the stamp and Pat ??? as shown in the photos. Frederick Gosparlin was a master violin maker and had many patents registered by him. Obviously this is a custom and possibly a one of a kind, it is just a fine piece. This might be for sale later as soon as I find more infor so any help is much appreciated. I have included many photos for your viewing enjoyment. Thanks Steve

DSC03645.jpgDSC03646.jpgDSC03647.jpgDSC03648.jpgDSC03649.jpg

Yes, very unique. Those who don't care for the rope on Mainlands should play this one for a few months.

Any idea of the age? When was he producing violins?

He was alive from 1891 to 1978 , I am assuming this is from the 1930-40 era

WOW... What a work of art! Too pretty for my tastes. I prefer the dirt-farmer's daughter over the princess.

Lots of views but no comments?????

Momma told me, "if you can't find something nice to say..." ;)

Let's just say I wish you luck with the sale and leave it at that...

John

AH, my eyes! I've been blinded!

Momma told me, "if you can't find something nice to say..." ;)

Let's just say I wish you luck with the sale and leave it at that...

John

Probably since you other post is insulting, always one in every group!

well, I've certainly never seen anything like it, that's for sure.

Actually, I think it is pretty cool. It seems to me that a lot of time went into creating it.

I wonder what the holes in the back of the bridge are there for?

I wonder if it was plainer originally and someone painted it later. It is very unusual. Wonder how it sounds.

Probably since you other post is insulting, always one in every group!

Not sure which other post you might be talking about - there are about 6500 of them to choose from... If you read a few of them you might find out I'm not really a bad guy. :)

Seriously, though, the first time I checked this thread I was repulsed by the uke but had no intention of saying anything about it. But, then you seemed to be demanding that people comment...

I guess what I should have known was that you were really demanding that people compliment this thing...

John

I can't tell where the saddle is on the bridge. It appears as though the strings come out of the string pin holes and over the bridge edge...???

I'm going to try to answer my own question. I believe the rear holes are intended to anchor the strings and the holes currently being used for that use are actually holes for individual saddles. Each could be adjusted for proper intonation. Just a guess, what do you all think?

I'm going to try to answer my own question. I believe the rear holes are intended to anchor the strings and the holes currently being used for that use are actually holes for individual saddles. Each could be adjusted for proper intonation. Just a guess, what do you all think?

I am trying to figure it out too. It seems clear that at one point, the strings were anchored in the holes at the back of the bridge as there are indentations where the strings went over the edge above the hole. However, I can't see how some sort of bridge would have sat where the bridge pins are now......but who knows what modifications may have been made over its life.

Top Bottom