So I Bought A Uke...

BradKM

Reaction score
And now I need help identifying it.

Looks like it's all mahogany with a rosewood board. Tuners are mismatched and will need to be replaced, but otherwise it's in good shape.

No label or identifying marks, but there is a small glue spot on the headstock.

Any clues?

Sorry, can't help you there but congrats and enjoy it. Won't be your last, I'm sure of it.
Oh, welcome to UU and the forums....................Bo..............

I can't make them out well on my phone, but there appear to be letters in the glue on the head stock.

I can't make them out well on my phone, but there appear to be letters in the glue on the head stock.

I thought the same, but couldn't really make anything out.

I've seen a few Harmonys with a large decal in the same general area, but not enough to make that a definite match.

google image results to the rescue:

(yes its a harmony)

Harmony-uke.jpg

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-Musical-Instruments-2370/2009/1/old-mandolin-3.htm

Actually, it's not a Harmony, but an import Harmony copy. If you notice, the Harmony has a squared off headstock, unlike the OP's uke. My mom has an identical ukulele to the OP's uke. However, the name, like yours, is missing, only showing that bit of glue. The other identifying marker is the wood saddle, instead of the plastic saddle Harmony uses.

However, to me, it's a pretty decent sounding uke, very solidly built, and I don't see any issues with the thing not lasting forever. This is the ukulele my mom brings to lead singing at a Kids Club I help lead.

Dan

Actually, it's not a Harmony, but an import Harmony copy. If you notice, the Harmony has a squared off headstock, unlike the OP's uke. My mom has an identical ukulele to the OP's uke. However, the name, like yours, is missing, only showing that bit of glue. The other identifying marker is the wood saddle, instead of the plastic saddle Harmony uses.

However, to me, it's a pretty decent sounding uke, very solidly built, and I don't see any issues with the thing not lasting forever. This is the ukulele my mom brings to lead singing at a Kids Club I help lead.

Dan

I'm thinking it still could be an earlier Harmony. I've found a page with lots of examples with the pointed headstock.

http://www.catfish1952.com/harmony.html

I need to break out the black light and see if I can spot any markings inside the body.

The sopranos, concerts and tenors all had the pointed headstocks, but I don't remember ever seeing a Baritone (which is what this uke is) with a pointed headstock. Also, the decals on Harmony instruments were not glued on like the OP has, they were those water-slide type of decals or they were silk-screened, so they would only flake or chip off and leave no residue behind as they were stuck on after the finish.

Dan

Looks like one of the Japanese imports from the 60s.

Top Bottom