Should Steve Martin get more praise for ukulele playing?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it really Lyle Ritz who's playing?

Steve's a pretty good banjo player, though.

Yeah, if you watch the movie (or that YouTube clip) closely it's pretty easy to tell that he's not really playing. He is a decent musician though. I don't think I'd say "credit" is exactly the term I'd give for the ukulele appearance in that movie because it's obviously written into the script because the writers felt it would help to support the goofy and naïve aspects of his character - not exactly a golden moment for the uke. :)

John

not exactly a golden moment for the uke.

Especially that particular (Martin) uke. At the end of the scene (not shown on this video) when Martin jumps up, that faint crunch is him stepping on the uke.

Especially that particular (Martin) uke. At the end of the scene (not shown on this video) when Martin jumps up, that faint crunch is him stepping on the uke.

Heh, heh. I bet that was written in to support the clumsy/goofy theme, too. I wonder if he really stepped on it or if they used a sound affect...

John

He's not playing in this one either, but at least they got a ukulele into the movie. :)

Heh, heh. I bet that was written in to support the clumsy/goofy theme, too. I wonder if he really stepped on it or if they used a sound affect...

John

Steve Martin talks about this starting at 4:30 in the video.

Yes, I think Steve Martin should get more praise! I'm a fan. This is probably the first time I had ever seen the ukulele in a film. When I was a kid (and now too), I thought (and still do) that Steve Martin was (and is) cool; therefore, the ukulele, by association, is cool!

Last edited:
Steve is just fabulous! He deserves high praise! And so does anyone else who plays ukulele!

He ordered a custom from us when I worked at Ko'olau. I finished and set it up. Forget now, I think it was a spruce mahogany deluxe tenor. Maybe all mahogany deluxe...over 10 years ago at least ..

He is a fantastic person and muscian, I saw him with the Steep Canyon Rangers last summer and they all were very good......I have always enjoyed his comedy even tho' it's pretty stupid at times.....

And then to see him play and be stupid at the same time....well, that's talent!! :cool:

He ordered a custom from us when I worked at Ko'olau. I finished and set it up. Forget now, I think it was a spruce mahogany deluxe tenor. Maybe all mahogany deluxe...over 10 years ago at least ..

I think it would be awesome to have a chat with him about music, over a beer or two. It'd be even more awesome to have a jam and write a tune or two.

Steve Martin's no Tiny Tim, but I guess we could throw him a bone.

Top Bottom