"Tenderly" in D tuning

CTurner

Reaction score

I had a chance to work on Craig Brandau's "Tenderly" recently and had a go for my YouTube account. Craig's orchestrations are very challenging and, for that reason especially, are very satisfying to play and improve.

Incidentally, my Lichty tenor is in D tuning, Southcoast linear no wound.

Very nice Craig. And your Lichty tenor sounds perfect for the song.

Love this. I've played it several times.

(Full disclosure: This is done by my dear MrT, who has done all the sound samples for ukes I've sold.)

oh man, that was a beautiful performance Craig. Super playing, just right

Thanks everyone for the kind encouragement. The Lichty is just right for this kind of song, isn't it?

I feel my playing is just getting to the point where I can share.

And thanks to my dear Ginny for the loving push. :D

Goodness gracious me...............
I stopped breathing after the first note for fear that the sound of my inhaling/exhaling would disturb the listening pleasure I was experiencing.
That was simply beautiful. Divine. Heavenly.
Thank you Mr T.
Ginny - it was worth the push.

Next goal: a duet!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Jealous

I must say that I am quite jealous, I have been working on that exact song and arrangement for 3 solid months. While I can do most of it there are a couple of parts that are killing me that you made it look easy ( I know it wasn't ). The repeating descending chords of Fmaj7/ Bbmaj7 / Am7 / Gm7 sound like a bag of mud when I play them. I just changed from a Fender Tenor to a Collings UT2 and it's a huge different and some of the chords that sound so muddled are clearer now but my fingers are not sympatico with my brain on that part.

Also I have had to simplify the ending "cause I just am not reaching Dbmaj#5 or the Fbmaj7#5 . It's just not gonna happen with the digits that God gave me.

I have played this Walter Gross song on the piano for at least 30 years and it is one of my absolute favourites.

You did a great job of it .

I'm interested to know what you are working on in his book next. I tried Moon River a couple of times but it wasn't happening.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Mxyzptik and Filipinouker: I sent you PMs.

Nice Job Craig...loved it man...wow Happy strummings.. and your custom tenor Lichty sounds great too...is that a new aquirement...:)

Hey Stan, thanks very much. No, I've had the Lichty for almost two years now. I think Jay still has a record of my build on his site. Also, I was honored recently when Dirk Wormhoudt asked if he could link to a sound file I made of his linear strings on the same Lichty instrument. I think Jay's work really shows off the D tuning. (http://www.southcoastukes.com/005.htm)

Top Bottom