Action of C-string

ukumic

Reaction score
Hi,

as you an see from the attached picture the nut action is quite a bit higher on the C-string compared to the others (especially g and A). This is pretty much the same on my other Kala so I'm wondering if this is intentional? If I press down the C-string on the 3rd fret there's probably too much space between the string and the 1st fret (crown) and I'm thinking about lowering the action there (maybe also on the E-string). So would you guys lower the action or does the higher action on the C-string serve a special purpose?

Happy holidays!

Attachments

• action.jpg
    action.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 34
So you think I should leave it as is? With my soprano this is not really an issue but on my tenor it's rather difficult to press down the C-string (and E-string)...

Just be careful, too low and you'll get buzzing problems. It does seem a bit high though. There's many threads on lowering you string height.

Checking action at the nut

Here's a good way to check the action at the nut and you won't any special measuring tools. Press the string down onto the second fret with your finger between the second and third fret. Other words your pressing finger should be on the bridge side of the second fret. Look to see how much clearance is between the first fret and the underneath side of the string. You should just see a little daylight there. If the string is touching the first fret the nut groove is too deep and if you see a lot of daylight the nut groove is too shallow.
When the bottom of all the strings are an equal distance from the first fret the thicker strings will look higher when viewed from the top as your photo illustrates.
Jude

Just wanted to let you know that I finally lowered the nut action of the C and E strings and it's really easier to play now. I also have the feeling that the intonation of the C-string has improved a bit but that might also be just wishful thinking. Gotta go... there's a uke awaiting me. :nana:

Top Bottom